Search Unity

Advice for a simple terrain on Mobile

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Reshima, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Reshima

Reshima

My goal is to create a very simple (low poly) terrain for a mobile game.

I originally intended to do it on a separate software (Maya/Zbrush/S.Painter) and import it. However, I do enjoy being able to do it all within Unity using the terrain system. I heard in a couple of old threads that the terrain system is really not good for mobile performance even at lower resolutions and that you'd have to convert it to a mesh first to improve it. I don't know if that changed but I'd really appreciate some insights or experiences you've had with the unity terrain system on Mobile (especially the new one).

2. Reshima

Reshima

Well, answering my own question in case anyone wants to know... It's very simple to blow up the number of vertices using the unity terrain. If you're on a budget on mobile and all you want is to have similar terrain tools try Polybrush (https://unity3d.com/unity/features/worldbuilding/polybrush), which is now officially a tool from Unity. The only problem is that it's still in Beta and lacks updates (currently it's broken and doesn't work in Unity 2018).

3. RyanGreene

RyanGreene

I'd be interested in hearing about this topic as well, if anyone has any information.

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! We are working toward a 1.0 release of Polybrush, don't worry it isn't abandoned! :) Hopefully within the next week or two.

Noogy, Reshima and John3D like this.
  5. Noogy

Noogy

@gabrielw_unity thanks for that update, I was pulling my hair out wondering why painting was broken.

6. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames

Hi,
    What are the performance of polybrush on mobile? is it good?

and a lot has changed with the terrain tools in unity 2019. I'm not sure if its good on mobile now. anyone knows?

7. blamejane

blamejane

Anyone?