Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice about hardware needed

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Underdog_italy, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Underdog_italy

Underdog_italy

Hey guys, I'd like to start developing 3d games with unity 5, mostly open world games. I'd like to work with a good graphics level, I'd like the average users to be able to run them with average gaming pcs specs though.
    My main specs would be:
    amd fx 8320e
    16gb ddr3 (eventually ill get 16 more gbs)
    256 ssd
    1tb hdd
    gtx 960 4gb
    Do you guys think I should aim for a gtx 970 (I'm on a budget!)? Will the 960 4gb allow me to develop pretty big open world environments? If you have any suggestion or changes that I should make, in your opinion, before I start to build....please feel free to tell me, any advice will be very welcome.
    Thanks for your time!

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, you can develop on pretty marginal machines. The better the machine, the faster some parts of development will go. It's always good to have a machine that is the lowest spec you are targeting, to make sure your game will run on low end machines.

These are the Unity suggested specs:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements

Ryiah and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  3. goat

goat

From personal experience I can tell you on mobile don't bother with less specs than Android 4.4 / Intel Atom Windows HD Graphics / iPad 2 because do you want to develop games or do you want to dork around with SW & HW specs arcana that's a moving target anyway?

For development PC not less the4 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphic 3000 / Intel i5 you can buy as I did with search and patience for $150. You should budget though for a Sata SSD to replace the magnetic HD and upgrade to 8 GB.

Then long term...save for the next Mac Mini that will be Sky Lake based and you can develop on it for os X & Windows with dual boot Boot Camp.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

I can never tell if these kind of threads are just disguised spec-bragging or what... "Is my 4GB graphics card good enough?! I only have 16GB RAM ATM but I'm doubling it soon, don't worry."

:rolleyes:

5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

What you have there is fine. :cool:
    And waaaaay more than enough, to make 3d type games.

256 GB SSD is nice and good enough, but, if possible, I would suggest, going for a 500 GB SSD.
    "Just in case."

16GB of RAM is more than good enough, especially for 3d Sculpting and high poly modelling etc.
    But since you want to add double that, more power to you and your PC etc.

PS: Another thing, what Mr. Buckner said is true. Especially if you're making games, targetting gamers, with average gaming PC specs.

Ryiah likes this.