Search Unity

Advertising example window shows in Unity editor but nothing shows on Android phone?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by UNTL1, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UNTL1

UNTL1

Hello. I tried placing ads as explained in tutorials I found whenever a certain number of game overs is reached. The test ad shows in Unity, but I don't see anything on my phone.

I took the app ID from the online Unity page, I called the right ad format according to its given name (display), and I initialized the UnityEngine.Advertisement library with this data. The display test window also doesn't show on the phone even if I compile it with "true", even though I'm not sure if it should. Someone else asked about it keeping to show up on the phone as well, so I thought at least that should "work", but nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. UNTL1

UNTL1

Anyone? I'm in the middle of uploading an alpha version of the game to Google Play and I'm not sure if it does have ads.

3. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

4. UNTL1

UNTL1

I need to see how to save logs, this is my first Android game. I tried before to debug it through USB in the Android Studio debugger, but that didn't seem to work.

Is there a chance it didn't work because the compile I tested it with used the Mono scripting backend? I'm trying to upload the app to Google Play as an alpha release and I see that it requires the IL2CPP backend with 64-bit enabled.

This is a bit off topic, but another issue I have is what to put in the privacy policy section of the Google Play app? The app is a very simple game, I don't store any information on the users. But it seems Google still requires you to provide something. The privacy policies I usually see are pages upon pages, so I don't know how a simple developer goes on to create one.

I see Unity claims somewhere that if you add the Unity Ads you don't need to provide further privacy policy if you don't collect information as Unity Ads come with some from of privacy policy, but I don't even know if I can list there are ads currently.

5. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

The scripting backend shouldn't make a difference to the Ads SDK, as far as I know.

If you're having trouble with Logcat, you can also install a package to access it from within Unity:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mobile.android-logcat@0.1/manual/index.html

Unfortunately we can't comment on privacy policy matters as it's a legal issue between you and Google. Their specific requirements about that sort of thing often change without any notice, and I don't want to risk getting you into trouble with out of date advice.

6. UNTL1

UNTL1

OK, I'm trying to understand what the logcat information tells me. When I run the game and start the playing scene, it produces some UnityAds lines at the very beginning, but nothing updates at the point where the ad is supposed to be showing up (after two game overs). I don't know if the log contains some "private information" that perhaps I shouldn't be posting here. Maybe I can send you the logs as a private message and you can tell me if you detect something not working correctly?

7. UNTL1

UNTL1

Any help?
    I also notice now that the Unity Dashboard for my app shows data about ads being viewed in the United States. I'm developing my game in a different country, and if I look for that country in the ad revenue data it indeed shows there were made several dozen requests but that no ad has been viewed. It is probably only from my phone running the game, and as I said I see no ads for whatever reason. But then only other country from which it shows ad requests is the USA, and it actually tells me several ads have been watched from there. Now, I didn't even release the game yet - I have only uploaded it as an alpha release to the Play Store. Is there any chance these ads have been accessed during the app-reviewing process?

And if so, how come it is not showing on my phone but on some phone from the USA? I even tried now to run the game with a USA VPN just to see if it for some reason doesn't display ads within my country, but it still showed nothing.

8. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @UNTL1 sorry for the delay in replying - we only monitor these forums Monday to Friday.

The logcat logs will typically only contain your app's game ID, which you could obscure when posting. If you're still uncomfortable posting them, you can send the logs to our support email address to open a support ticket:
    unityads-support@unity3d.com

You can also send a link to a build of your game - we can install it to test directly.

If you're seeing ad views from the USA then I think your guess that they are coming from the app reviewing process is likely correct. I'll need to see the logs before I can say for sure what is happening.

9. UNTL1

UNTL1

Is there any chance it doesn't work correctly because the Time.timeScale is set to 0 during the game over menu? I mean, the method itself used to call the ads is invoked without time delay so it shouldn't affect it, but perhaps the functions from the UnityEngine.Advertisement library are affected by it?

10. UNTL1

UNTL1

OK, so I tried to change the code a bit, even though the functionality should be the same and in either way the test ads show in Unity Editor. There is a while loop that waits for either 10 seconds or until the ad availability being true, and after that there is an if that displays an ad if its available.

If I try to use display ads, which is what I had in the app version I have uploaded to Google Play, it doesn't show anything even if it's set to test mode (and it does wait for 10 seconds until the while loop ends, so you know the ad not being available condition remains unbroken.

I then tried the video ad ID and it does show a test ad. I don't know if the real ads will work, but at at least it does load something.

So why is it not working on the phone when using a display ad type, even in the test mode?

11. divyanthj

divyanthj

Bump!! I'm facing the same problem. Been stuck on it for a few days now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.