Search Unity

Question Advertisement Legacy - Placement receives no fill error (iOS)

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by coldenwebdev, Apr 10, 2023.

1. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

Hello everyone,

in my game I am using Advertisement Legacy package to provide ads as I am only planning to use Unity Ads. All my iOS implementations have been working properly until now as in my new game while loading new ad I keep getting this error:

Error loading Ad Unit: Rewarded_iOS - NO_FILL - Placement receives no fill

I have noticed weird behavior as I tested multiple builds where I did not change anything, sometimes the ad loads successfully and sometimes it does not. All games that are already live on App Store are still working properly with ads. Might this error only occur pre-production? I have used TestFlight as well for testing, no luck with the ads.

Unity version: 2021.3.13f1
    Advertisement Legacy version: 4.4.2

I can also include my code if needed. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

MandragoneGames likes this.
  2. Unity-Boon

Unity-Boon

Unity Technologies

There might be a few possibilities why you are seeing this error message.

1. There might be no fill for the ads placement, or it needs more time for the ad to be completely cached in your game.
    2. You haven't call the Load() before you call the Show(). You can find more information in the documentation.

3. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

Hello,

thank you for your response. I am definitely calling Load() before Show(), in fact this error occurs while trying to load the ad, I am not even trying to show it for now (of course that would not work as there is no ad ready). Here are the logs I am getting:

Unity Ads initialization complete.

Loading Ad: Rewarded_iOS

In case this is caused because there are really no ads available, what are my options? Is there a way to solve this?

In addition I have also noticed this question talking about the very same thing. Might this be a bug by any chance?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    MandragoneGames likes this.
  4. MandragoneGames

MandragoneGames

Hello,
    Same situation for us, we are on
    Unity 2019.3.1
    Unit Ads: 4.3.0
    We created a new project in TestFlight with the same error:
    Unity Ads initialization complete.

5. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

@Unity-Boon do we have any news here? Or should we just consider using other service? I would really prefer to continue using Unity Ads if this can be solved, or at least know if this is an issue on my end or Unity Ads error. Thank you for your response.

6. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

UPDATE: I tried to implement Unity Ads via IronSource and there seems to be a problem as well. Also ads on Android seems to be working fine, error is only showing up on iOS devices. @Unity-Boon can you help? I would really like to solve this.

Oliver_StingrayGames likes this.
  7. FlurinJenal

FlurinJenal

Exact same problem here, what's the solution?

8. Oliver_StingrayGames

Oliver_StingrayGames

I also have the same problem on iOS - everything works fine on Android!
    Could it have something to do with ATT/iOS 14 Support/info.plist? Basically Apple blocking the ads from being loaded/filled? Or an additional step that we should take in Xcode when building?

Unity version: 2021.3.13f1
    Advertisement Legacy version: 4.4.2

Unity Ads initialization complete

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    coldenwebdev likes this.
  9. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

Did anyone manage to solve this?

10. ifg-carel

ifg-carel

We're seeing the same problem with our title as well. Unity ads have been working on Android for the past week since we have implemented them, and no one has had an iOS ad fill yet. Any updates from anyone else?

I've ensured the Info.plist contains all the ad networks and also implemented the app-ads.txt on our website.

Unity version: 2021.3.5f1
    Advertisement Legacy: Version 4.4.2

11. CHS_Paul

CHS_Paul

I got the same problem, Android is alright but reward ads on iOS keep telling me "Error loading Ad Unit: Rewarded_iOS - NO_FILL - Placement receives no fill", is there anyone can help?

Unity version: 2022.2.6f1
    Advertisement Legacy: Version 4.4.2

12. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

13. dbit-j

dbit-j

We have the exact same issue with a game that we're about to launch.
    • Ads work perfectly on Android.
    • But, on nearly all iOS devices, we always get the NO_FILL response from Unity Ads when attempting to load a Rewarded Video ad. (Our game only uses Rewarded Video ads, so we can't say anything about other ad types.)
    Our ads implementation has not changed for some time, we have a good understanding of the API, and everything works perfectly when using Test mode on iOS.

Since many people have reported the exact same issue in the last month (in this thread and others), it seems likely that there is an issue with Unity Ads (Legacy). Is anyone from the Unity Ads team actively looking into this? With this problem unresolved, the iOS version of our game is fundamentally broken.

Our Unity Ads project is configured as a Mixed Audience game (COPPA). Not sure if that matters, but thought I'd mention it since some of the features for Mixed Audience projects appear to be quite new. Would be interesting to hear from the other developers here if your projects are configured as targeting children, or Mixed Audience, and if you're passing user-level COPPA status ("user" metadata with "nonbehavioral" flag) using Advertisement.SetMetadata. We are.

Unity: version 2021.3.23f1
    Advertisement Legacy: version 4.4.2.

14. FMStudio

FMStudio

Our app does not target children at all and still getting NO_FILL even if using appId of an app that is already in store (that live build is correctly displaying ads).

dbit-j likes this.
  15. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

Same here

Also I have opened a ticket on Unity Support about this issue and their team is currently looking into it. I will inform you if I get any information.

FMStudio and dbit-j like this.
  16. ebouchard88

ebouchard88

Just to add to it. We also see the exact same thing. Pre-production app does not display real ads on iOS but works fine with test ads. Live apps work properly. We sometimes see an Interstitial appears (rarely) but never Rewarded.

17. ot21

ot21

Here is the unity response:

Hi,
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Upon further investigation, it appears that there was an issue with the Unity Ads SDK 4.2.1 package when using it in Unity Editor.
    Our developers are currently working on fixing the NO_FILL error.
    I will let you know as soon as there is more information.
    Good day,

Carl Decker
    Developer Support Engineer

coldenwebdev likes this.
  18. ebouchard88

ebouchard88

For your information I am not using Unity editor (or the Unity engine at all). I am only using the Unity ads package on a different game engine.

19. coldenwebdev

coldenwebdev

Unity just pushed a fix on their side. I've tested this out and everything on iOS seems working for me, "placement receives no fill" error no longer appears and ad is played successfully.

Can you guys please check if ads are working again on your side so we can be sure this issue was resolved and I can mark the ticket as solved? Thank you

20. ebouchard88

ebouchard88

It seems to be working for me too. All good!