Search Unity

Adventures

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Trytus58, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Trytus58

Trytus58

Hi all,

Just a suggestion, its would be nice to see a tutorials on how to make a text base adventure on video and in documents that is easy to follow, slow and up to date. I am very new and this would interest me and hope i breaking any rules by posting here.

Thanks for reading and take care

Ps I am dyslexic

2. methos5k

methos5k

There's this:

It was posted a little less than a year ago. I've never done it myself, but did talk with someone on the forums who was going through it and making progress.

Welcome to Unity. Hope you find something you enjoy! :)

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Note that Unity is, in most ways, not the right tool for making a text adventure. But so what? I've felt the temptation myself from time to time. If it amuses you, go for it!

4. Trytus58

Trytus58

Yes I seen this, but I not be able to install the asset correctly and very difficult to do with limited c++ knowledge, I decide not to do that one just yet until i get better knowledge of unity and C++,. I have been programming in Python 3 and and 2 for several years but unity does not like python and I might give up with unity as seem difficult to use and hard on new ppl who never used unity before and most of tutorials are out date for 2017 Unity well off my soapbox now :)

Thanks for your time

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. Trytus58

Trytus58

all game engine should be able to handle text, if not is a bit limited on the use of engine,, I sure it can manager Text adventure it just finding out how to start with python you simple write Print ("Text Adventure............"), astring=input("Your answer "), do something else and so on, job done :) Thanks for the reply

6. Trytus58

Trytus58

Thanks see posts above, I have not enjoy my time on unity to honest with you, hopefully it will get better :)

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, of course it can handle text -- it's just not designed for this sort of thing, so it doesn't handle it particularly well.

If the tutorial above suggests an asset, it's probably one that adds enhanced handling of text input and output, which would certainly be a good thing.

The equivalent of the simple Python start you mentioned would look like this:

1. Add a Canvas to your scene, and within that, add a Text box. Stretch it out to a decent size, and set it to multiline. Call it Output. Set its text to "Text Adventure............".
    2. Add an InputField to your scene, size and position it as desired. Call it Input.

But of course next you'll want to actually process some input, so continuing on...

3. Create a new C# script, and attach it to something in the scene (perhaps the Canvas itself). Be sure to add "using UnityEngine.UI;" to the top. Give it a public Text output and a public InputField input property. Hook these up to the input and output objects in your scene.
    4. Add (to your script) a public void ProcessInput() method. Invoke this as the handler for the End Edit event of the Input field.

And now you're basically set -- your ProcessInput method will get invoked, at which point you can grab the input.text, do whatever you like with it using standard C# string methods, and stuff new output into output.text.

Note that if any of the steps above are unclear, it probably means you skipped the introductory Unity tutorials that teach you the basics of how to create objects in a scene, how to create a script and assign property values in the Inspector, and how to hook up events. In that case, please go back and do them, or you're just wasting your time.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but some engines have more than just text rendering. Unity recently acquired an advanced text rendering system that supports hyperlinking. They're currently in the process of integrating it into Unity but you can download and play with it now through the Asset Store.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/beta-projects/textmesh-pro-84126

My recommendation is to download the releases appropriate to the tutorials you are interested in. Having multiple releases installed is fairly normal for game development as you typically will stick to a release for the life of a program upgrading only when the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and the time investment.

Unity is currently working on a centralized hub to assist with maintaining multiple installations, but until then you can simply alter the installation folder (or move it on platforms where the installer doesn't present this option) to a different location.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/24/streamline-your-workflow-introducing-unity-hub-beta/

9. Trytus58

Trytus58

[QUOTE="JoeStrout, post: 3391428, member: 32300" ]Note that if any of the steps above are unclear, it probably means you skipped the introductory Unity tutorials that teach you the basics of how to create objects in a scene, how to create a script and assign property values in the Inspector, and how to hook up events. In that case, please go back and do them, or you're just wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

I have complete all tutorials do not remember one text handling expect score, so thanks for your comments and it will be of great help :). http://gamingenthusiast.net/2013/04/07/best-text-adventures-best-interactive-fiction-games/

ps the tutorials are still old and need bring up to date one I watched was made in 2015, four years ago

10. Trytus58

Trytus58

Thank you I will try it out :D

11. Trytus58

Trytus58

I started this thread as a discussion as to why there not more on unity around text handling for all user, like a simple text adventure which could be developed into something better like a point and click adventure of good story driven RPG without having to pay for it, If unity want to cover all aspect of game design that must include Text handling which can be done in c++.

I like to thank everyone who has commented on this subject and hope you enjoy your coding. It would nice to get step by step tutorial on text handling please Unity for us newcomers to unity and c++ not the one already mention something easier to understand thank you

12. methos5k

methos5k

Just to clarify some of your responses, where you mention c++. The main use language in Unity is C#.
    You can certainly turn a text game into some mixture of text and click, etc..

In fact, I think the person with whom I spoke about the tutorial that I linked was doing that. They were taking what they learned in the video, plus what they learned in Unity in general and mixing them together. All free of charge. :) But they were writing the game, and adding what they wanted. Unity didn't "do it all" for them automatically.