Search Unity

Adventure Creator - Make 3D adventure games (DEMO, VIDEO, WEBSITE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ChrisIceBox, Oct 9, 2013.

1. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi Chris,

I just love this adventure creator. I am relatively new to unity and this is helping me to understand a lot of stuff very quickly.
    I do however have a question as I did not understand the last post with animation controller.
    I have iclone5 pro and use 3dexchange pipeline, facial pipeline, mocap and ipisoft with imotionPlus to get my commercial characters into unity. When is Mechanim support coming or is there anything I can do, to use my characters in adventure creator? For example maybe converting to legacy, if that’s at all possible?
    I create my facial pipeline also in iiclone and everything crosses over to unity very well. Please tell me that Mechanim will be coming soon.

Kind regards, Chris from Germany.

2. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Hi again Chris! Great improvements!
    But the Adventure Creator window don't open and when i play the demo, the following error show up:
    What's the problem?

$error.jpg

EDIT: I disconnect my second monitor and disable Maximize on Play button on Game window and Adventure Creator window works! That's weird!

But speechManager keeping with the same problem, i try generate other but unsuccessfully,

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  3. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

New version out! Lots of random features and fixes:

Version 1.19:
    • Added: Menu Journal element - create pages and add to them in-game
    • Added: New Movement Method - Drag
    • Added: Option to detect hotspots from the player's vicinity, not the mouse cursor
    • Added: Ability for keyboard to navigate pause menus when input method set to "Keyboard Or Controller"
    • Added: New Menu position type: OnHotspot
    • Added: Cursor display options - Always, Only When Paused, Never
    • Added: Ability to swipe directional arrow prompts when using Touch Screen input
    • Added: Ability to lock/unlock individual menus via the Menu: Change State Action
    • Added: Ability to display variables value in Labels
    • Added: Option to make player face Hotspot / Walk-to Marker after walking to a Hotspot
    • Added: Option to include character direction when playing custom 2D animations
    • Added: Warning to CSV export if speech lines contain the CSV pipe delimiter
    • Fixed: Menu Element visibility is now stored in saved games
    • Fixed: InventoryBox offset's not resetting on game load
    • Fixed: Not always being able to move when "Replace Cursor" was unchecked
    • Fixed: MenuInteraction not showing the correct Hotspot icon when using a Context Sensitive interface
    • Fixed: Unhandled interactions sometimes triggering Inventory unhandled events
    • Renamed: Various Settings Manager fields for streamlining
    • Renamed: "Controller" input method to "Keyboard Or Controller"
    • Renamed: Controller input axes

Hm. Can't re-create this error myself. Have you tried un-setting the Speech Manager and creating a new one within the main window? It seems to be related to the translations, so if you make a new manager I don't see why it should persist.

Mecanim support has been on my todo list for a good while, but it really needs to be done properly and not rushed. The current scripting set and documentation for Mecanim still isn't quite there yet, but it's definitely getting there.

I'm keeping an eye on Mecanim development, and when it's in the place I need it to be in, I will see about bringing proper Mecanim support.

4. docas

docas

Question:

How do we directly duplicate actions (Dialogue options, interactions, etc) without instanciate then (changing one changes the other)

Sometimes we have very large actions that only differ in one aspect of another, and its time consuming not be able to duplicate without instance

Is there a current way to do it?

5. TheMightyZQ

TheMightyZQ

Chris -

Great update! I'm able to lock/unlock the pause menu just fine now, thanks so much!

I'm still having the problem on the Title Screen that only recognizes a right-click and not a left-click. The interesting thing is if I change that menu's appear type from "manual" to "during gameplay", it recognizes left-clicks just fine. Bizarre.

I suppose what I could do is just set the title screen to "during gameplay" and then I can lock it after I start a new game or load a scene, right?

6. TheMightyZQ

TheMightyZQ

Actually - I guess that borks the submenus within the title screen menu. I'd basically have to lock/unlock each menu anytime I chose an option within the title screen and I'm not entirely sure how to do that with the menu tool. Hrm.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. MaaS

MaaS

Great! I updated without any problem...

But I have seem something I didn't notice before, because I had the ingame menu disabled. When you play an action list the game becomes in "cutscene" mode... so the ingame menu disappear. But, when the action comes from a trigger it does the same!... so every time my character walks over a trigger the menu disappear for a microsecond (the time to execute, in this case, the on-enter actionlist). I suppose that if the action is "continuous" it will disappear until I left the trigger area... I think there shouldn't be a cutscene for triggers (or there should be an option like run in background)

I tried the CSV export and string translations and it works flawlessly :) Just one thing for the speech manager tab... I would not list every in-game string on the manager... right now, nobody has a complete adventure but when the time comes, just imagine the scrolling hehe

A suggestion for touch interfaces: for point&click movement and touch interface it would be great to be able to drag the finger around to discover the hotspots (like when moving the mouse on P&C and Mouse&Keyboard settings). In this case the game should react when your finger is lifted from the screen (mouseup).

So you could...

1º If you are touching the screen (gameplay, not menus) for more than X time = you are in drag mode. If not = click or double click
    2º Then you can drag your finger around the scene to discover hotspots...
    2º If you were dragging and you lift your finger: do nothing, stop drag mode
    3º If you click, double click: do as always.

Thanks for your work!

Edit: The triggered action was mine, so I changed it like in the speech action to add a "Play in background" so now the menu doesn't hide. Anyway I think there should be an option for complete actionlists to be able to run in the background.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Triggers / Cutscenes / Interactions only become "cutscenes" in the traditional sense whenever one of the Actions they contain pause gameplay. For an ActionList to play in the background, each individual Action just needs to be one that plays in the background. For better control, I'd prefer that this remains the case.

This might become a little too cumbersome, since you'd have to keep your fingers still for X amount of time. If you use the input key "FlashHotspots" then available Hotspots flash up for a moment. An alternative solution would be to be able to tie Menu Buttons to Input Keys - so you could have a button in the corner that highlights all Hotspots.

9. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

So long as your duplicating the same kind of ActionList (e.g. from one Cutscene to another), you can just copy the inspector itself, then click "Paste as new values" from the cog above the new one.

The demo game's pause menu is set to Manual appear type too, so there's got to be more to it. I'll need more to go on before I can recreate the error, but if you can cut out all but the menu+title screen into an assetpackage, just PM it to me and I'll take a look.

10. MaaS

MaaS

Thanks for the clarification... you are right :) Anyway the action triggered was mine (a change fake Z-Depth action), so now that I fixed it, it doesn't hide the menu, and i'm quite happy with how everything is performing.

I was planning on using a button for the FlashHotspots... but anyway about the drag finger, I kind of implemented it, I just need to see how the menu works to not interfere with it, especially with the inventory panel, but I thought it could be useful in general, that's why I commented it here.

Thank you Chris, as always...

11. cl-apps

cl-apps

+1 for Mecanim support

12. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Sure - check the PlayerInput script. At the top are two booleans: mouseOverMenu and mouseOverInteractionMenu. These are used by the various control scripts to avoid unwanted menu/movement clashes.

13. Ozzon

Ozzon

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the newest update!

I have two problems you might be able to help me with.

First thing, when I set character walk or run speed scale to high values, like over 6-8 then characters starts spinning around, unable to reach a movement node. See the clip below.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/a5rqim

Second thing, on scenes different than your demo basement, when I click to move a character, it sort of twitches to the left or right starts moving toward his goal. It happens after every click, please see the clip below.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/pe7bdz

Do you have ideas what could be causing those problems?

Thanks!

14. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I'm sifting through the 11 pages of posts, But was curious about a few things:

Has anyone got this working well with 2d Toolkit?

Has anyone got this working well with Spine?

Any chance that it is going on sale in the 24 hour asset sale soon?

15. MaaS

MaaS

@SoloChristian I use it with 2D Toolkit, no problem... I think one of the 2D videotutorials use 2DTK as the character animator so you can see yourself.

Also, I recently bought Spine, but I didn't try it yet... I plan on using it on my adventure characters, but I have to see how the Unity and 2DTK runtimes go and which kind of clip it generates before knowing if I'll need to modify anything.

16. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Thanks for the NFO MaaS! Now I just have to cross my fingers and see if it goes on the 24 hour sale. :)

17. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

I also tried creating another speechmanager and didn't work.
    Digging a bit, I made it work correctly by adding 3 more new languages ​​in speechmanager and everything went well, weird huh?

EDIT: I'm using the lastest version of Unity: 4.3.1f1

18. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Thanks for the helpful video! This happens because characters don't turn on the spot - so if they move faster than they turn they will offshoot their target.

There are two ways you can solve this issue:

1. Increase the Turn speed inside the Player inspector - this will make the character turn faster
    2. Lower the Destination accuracy inside the Settings Manager - this will increase the minimum distance all characters need to be from a node for it to be considered "reached".

Are you using Unity Navigation for your pathfinding? I've seen this before only when using this method - Mesh Collider works fine.

Strange. Still can't recreate it, but presumable you can delete the "old" languages and it'll work fine for you now.

19. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Hi Chris

How would we go about adding Additional Components for the Camera, such as DOF, which only works when applied to the MainCamera - the problem is, I only want it to be working on one camera and it doesn't work if you assign it to a game camera, only MainCamera.

20. Ostwind

Ostwind

I have exactly the same behavior and yep using Unity navigation. Wasn't sure that was it my quickly done anims bugging or what. Not that big issue for me yet as I can switch to mesh colliders for now. I would rather vote for time being used on Mecanim support ;)

21. Makis1982

Makis1982

can i turn on and off area lights? and how? i tried almost everything except what really works.:confused:

22. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

You'll need to attach a custom script to your area light, and call it using the Object: Send Message action. Just copy the ParticleSwitch.cs script, but make it affect the attached gameobject's light component enabled state:
    Code (csharp):
    2. private void Switch (bool turnOn)
    3. {
    4.     if (GetComponent <Light>())
    5.     {
    6.         GetComponent <Light>().enabled = turnOn;
    7.     }
    8. }
    Found the source of the error - the point array was including the player's original position, causing the player to momentarily double-back on himself before moving on. Issue fixed in the next update.

23. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Chris, a doubt. It's possible (or easy) separate specific managers to use in a separate project?
    For example, use only the actions manager (to make cutscenes) or inventory manager?

24. MaaS

MaaS

Another question about Menus...

I have some inventory items equiped and there is a hotspot with an action for one item of the inventory. I'm not sure which kind of menu appear type i'm going to use, but i'm testing the "On hotspot", for when the character is near the hotspot (for direct control), and "On Interaction" for the player clicking on it (for p&c control). The menu I would like to show is an InventoryBox with the flag for "hotspot based", so it only shows the equiped inventory objects for this hotspot...

Using "On hotspot", the inventorybox shows... but, clicking on the inventory object X doesn't trigger the action list asociated (use object X with hotspot)... in fact the inventorybox just shutter and execute a navmesh click as if the cursor wasnt mouseOverMenu/mouseOverInteractionMenu...

Using "On interaction", the inventorybox shows also but it disappear as I release the mouse button (I have the inventorybox setted to uppercenter)

So.. I'm doing something wrong hehehe xDD but what?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  25. Makis1982

Makis1982

26. docas

docas

27. MaaS

MaaS

Yep, I noticed it too.

Also, if the position is set to on Hotspot it appears and keeps there until you move the mouse away from the interaction menu, but if the location is somewhere else (upper center in my case), as the cursor is at the hotspot, the menu appears just a fraction of time and disappear.

28. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Just learning this now. Seems Awesome! But I was wondering why the robot's Normals seem really messed up? I using the current free build of Unity.

29. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

Hello Adventure creators!

I would like my character to cross a door and go to a different place.

How Can I do to load a new scene?

Thanks in advance.;)

30. MaaS

MaaS

@endikaeguia There is an action called "Engine: Change scene". It asks the number of the other scene from build settings... so... for example

scene testroombig.unity -> assigned scene 0 on build settings
    Door: Interaction Use (with walk to a marker frontDoor1Marker) action list:
    - Character Face : Door
    - Character/Object Animate: Anim open door (whatever anim it's needed for open the door)
    - Character Move to point : To a marker that it's outside (outsideDoor1Marker), without pathfinding
    - Character/Object Animate: Anim close door
    - Engine change scene: 1

scene testroom_23.unity -> assigned scene 1 on build settings
    On load Action list:
    - Engine check previous scene: if scene = 0 run cutscene OnEnterDoor1

Cutscene "OnEnterDoor1" action list:
    - Object Teleport: Player to a marker outsideDoor1Marker
    - Character/Object Animate: Anim open door
    - Character Move to point : To a marker that its inside (into the navmesh!), without pathfinding
    - Character/Object Animate: Anim close door
    - Character Play Speech: "Oh my god! a new scene!! :D"

For going back it would be the same... You would need an interaction on the second scene's door, and a "check previous scene" in the onLoad for the first scene, that plays the entrance of the player into the door. You can have more than 1 entry door so it's good to check from which scene you come and play an entry cutscene for each door.

Finally, the scene numbers... they must be the ones assigned on Build settings. Open it (File->Buils Settings), drag both scenes to the scene list on top, that's it. Each scene will get a scene number assigned.... that's the number you'll use when "change to scene number..." or "check previous scene number=".

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  31. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

You are my hero :D

32. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Ok when I do the video tuts, The camera does not follow the robot when I turn off X Axis Movement. It shoots about 15 units past the Lift. Any Ideas Why????

33. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Something I have problems with is the camera positions when the player's gone to another scene and then re-entered the previous scene again. The "following" cameras don't work as they did the first time around - it only moves ever so slightly, whereas before it would follow the character perfectly.

Any ideas why guys?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  34. Grohowiak

Grohowiak

Hi, I'm pretty much ready to purchase this but have a question.
    Is there a way to make main camera static? (camera switches on predefined trigger enter and stay).
    Something like Resident Evil 3 and then use mouse point and click to walk and etc.

Cheers

35. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Yes @ Grohowiak, take a look at the tutorials to see how things work.

36. Grohowiak

Grohowiak

37. shwa

shwa

Adventure Creator looks Very interesting, at least at a long glance.

A few questions:

Could it be used to create a dynamic ebook for the unity web player, standalones,
    and ios?

e.g.

- The person using it can move between pages or chapters. Either by a trigger or
    clicking on a page #, or perhaps your arrow system.?

- Can a table of contents be set up/used?

- Can one read high quality text that might be overlayed on a 2d image or 3d scene.

Does it integrate with environmental systems from the asset store, like Unistorm?
    (unistorm is a day/night system, with clouds, rain, snow, etc.)

thanks!

38. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Working on a 1.20 update - lots of small additions and fixes, mainly relating to menus and 2D workflow. I'm preparing a simple 2D Demo project, which will be available in the same way the current 3D Demo is (free game, source included in asset). It's helping me to refine the 2D features, so I may do a 2.5D Demo as well at some point.

Yes - each manager is it's own asset file. Just click on the manager field at the top of each tab to highlight the asset, for you to copy across.

Try using the demo Menu Manager - the Interaction menu should work OK for P&C control, better to amend that to your needs if you're having trouble.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce the error - it works fine for me! What type of ActionList are you trying to copy?

OK. I will look into this.

Noted. Lots of menu fixes coming up!

Sorry, in what way? A screenshot would help.

The camera found follow the player if you lock movement - it sounds like it's resetting it's position instead. Try changing your GameCamera inspector's values before running your game.

Is this a problem with the GameCamera or your MainCamera? Click on the GameCamera to test and see if it moves properly via the viewport in the Scene window. The MainCamera's job is to "stick" itself to the active GameCamera (the "attachedCamera" field in the MainCamera inspector). It'll be easier to nail the problem if I know which camera is messing up.

Nice idea! I'd like for it to be able to. By hiding a lot of the features such as the player, inventory etc, it could probably do what you want quite well. The pages could be set up as animations, activated by "turn page" Hotspots that respond to mouse clicks. You could create a "page number" variable that decreases when you click the left page, and increases when you click the right - and then an appropriate page turning animation plays.

You might be able to create a "selectable" table of contents by making it a Menu, which appears when you either begin or turn back to the first page. You might need to do some specific coding to fine-tune things the way you want it, but I'd say it's possible.

Text quality - that's rather subjective. Certainly I think the menu system is able to output good text - you can adjust font, size and add outlines to text easily enough. As for environmental systems, I haven't used Unistorm, but I would imagine it can be kept separate from the rest of the system. If Unistorm can be controlled via simple scripts, you could use a custom Action or Send Message to integrate it into the book.[/QUOTE]

39. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Hi Chris, and thanks for the reply :)

During playback, it's the game camera itself that seems limited in it's movements. It's very odd, considering it works fine before the scene is changed. The player is even sent to the same coordinates/marker upon returning to the scene as well.

EDIT: I've temporarily got around this by adding a duplicate camera that's triggered when a variable is met upon entering the scene (i.e. player came from a different scene). I've had to change some of the duplicate camera's settings though but for now, it's a little workaround that works. I'm not sure how to solve the original problem though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  40. ocimpean

ocimpean

I would like to know how this would work with LDC?

41. shwa

shwa

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

Can one create a scene or entire experience that is made up of just linear animation experiences?
    e.g. make an animated movie, that has No or very little interactivity?

thanks.

42. Grohowiak

Grohowiak

In the introduction tutorial #11 you interact the sword with a console to show the generic message.
    Is there a way for the player to approach it first or even better create a area within which objects will interact? (For example the robot would have to move much closer to the console for the interaction mouse over to work). The interaction appears to work from half of the room so kinda looks weird and contradicts the idea of moving to objects in order to pick them up first and removes the need for any kind of exploration once you pick a certain object.

Also that tilted bed on the center of the scene looks like player mesh goes through it sometimes.
    Can you assign collider to it or you have to build nave meshes in such a way that they will avoid static objects in the scene?

Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  43. statrosa

statrosa

Hi Chris,

I really love what you have made. You have made a dream come possible.

I'm currently following your tutorials and I'm currently stuck at number 9: Interactions.
    Everything is working fine, expect for the speech dialogue, it does not appear.

Face object, Animate, Pause Game: (work) the Play speech :nothing appears just a few seconds pause and then Animate works fine fine.

Do you have any idea?

44. MaaS

MaaS

Hi there...

I think I found a bug with the hotspotbased inventorybox. When you select the object from the popup inventory box, it calls a runtimeinventory.select(_slot), but the slot number passed is from the hotspotbased inventory slot, and the selected item is from the full runtimeinventory... so it's going to select another item and try its action.

How to reproduce it:

Two inventory objects... Rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle and Grog mug, carried from the start just to easy it.
    The complete inventory would have something like

slot 0 = Rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle
    slot 1 = Grog mug

I have a hotspotbased inventorybox which appears onInteraction. So when you click on hotspot "Jail door", it appears its only inventory object, the Grog mug... but the hotspot inventorybox only has one item so it's on slot 0. So it selects the item from the full inventory on slot 0 (Rubber chicken) and try to run it's interaction failing.

Other less important stuff : The menu GUITexture preview drawing launch a warning if you actually don't have any background texture2D, the same if you define an interaction cursor without the texture2D, and surely idem for object texture2D (?). And for Text Scroll speed... it waits for 1/textspeed so careful if it equals to zero.

@shwa I don't see why you couldn't... you can start with a onLoad cutscene in your first scene and call a cutscene. If you want you could chain cutscene from cutscene (changing scene if needed) so you can divide better the movie, in cuts/takes or whatever you need.

@statrosa Do you have "Force subtitles if no audio files" activated? Mines didn't show either until I checked it :)

45. MaaS

MaaS

Sorry to bring this up again... but... I've been playing around with characters doing things in the background while you play (like Marcus walking from one point to another at the start of Indy last crusade) and I think the cutscene mode is on by default instead of only if any action pause gameplay (or I'm doing something wrong :) )...

If you take a look at ProcessAction, you'll see that there is a gameState=Cutscene before running each action, so every action is in cutscene mode by default. I just commented this gameState change and I was able to have a character walking in the background doing things while the player could move and interact...

I added two actions just to have a bit more control here... a simple Engine: Wait x seconds, and Engine: gameState mode to set an actionlist to Cutscene just in case I want it to be non-interactive.

46. statrosa

statrosa

Hi MaaS, thanks for replying. Yeah it is checked. I'm running Unity free on OSX Mavericks, could that be an issue?

47. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Make sure 'Subtitles' is selected in the in-game Menu Options. I had this same problem.

Sometimes the subtitles are On and sometimes they're Off. It appears random :/

48. statrosa

statrosa

Thank you TayannaStudios, I did not yet get to the part of in-game Menu Options, but will sure be checking this out.

Update: Thank TayannaStudios, that was exactly it!!!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  49. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

Hello. I need your help.

WHen I say my character to go to a marker ouside the navmesh (unity navigation mode, not navmesh), it goes in the opposite direction. Pathfind is unchecked. Any idea?

edit. It seems to return to playerstart marker and then return to the door, but never cross it

Thx. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  50. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Glad to help! :D