Search Unity

Adventure Creator - Make 3D adventure games (DEMO, VIDEO, WEBSITE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ChrisIceBox, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Nice Suggestion! @vonchor!

Chris, based on this idea, I added an improvement in the Scene tab, just a few options where you can quickly change the layer of selected objects in the scene(Useful in large projects with many objects).

If you want to implement in AC, tell me, here is a sample image. : D

$print.png

2. vonchor

vonchor

Quote Originally Posted by vonchor View Post

2. Hooks for an alternate GUI such as NGUI. From looking at your code I imagine that this would be a P.I.T.A. but IMO it's pretty important.

The current menu system is pretty hard-embedded in the system. Which NGUI features would you be looking to make use of?

For sure it is embedded, I've looked! It's not a part of NGUI or NGUI in particular that's desirable; for example, 2DTK has a perfectly good GUI. It's just that the current Unity GUI is just not up to what a modern game GUI looks like and despite Guiskins and such it can't really have a highly customizable look. On the other hand, the beauty of what you currently have is that you don't have to be a programmer to set it up.

I'd suggest providing some way to have input from sources that aren't direct - IIRC right now you're processing input directly for both Kbd/mouse and touchscreen.
    NGUI and other solutions do that themselves. Hooks that'd allow external user input processing for actions like button presses and other GUI actions (as opposed to those having to do with character movement or point-to-click) on another layer from the one used for AC's I/O would probably be easiest. That's what I was thinking of doing myself if you don't do it :)

I suppose to some extent this is only my opinion, maybe no one else cares about this but me...

Regarding the journal - most games I've seen have some sort of two-page layout with arrows to advance back and forth; on a surface that looks sort of like a book. I'm not even sure that you could do this using the current Unity GUI. But a custom action (or is it conversation element) would be an easy way to push some text to whatever the storage chunk for keeping the journal's data. The data storage would be something else that'd need to be persistent, too, since a) you'd want it to persist between levels and b) the journal would only be displayed when the user called it up for display with some hotkey or menu click/tap.

BTW, if you look at NGUI you'll see that one of the examples is an inventory system.

3. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

HI.
    I have a problem: When I run the game the menu doesn't appear. Any idea?

Thx

4. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

ANd hotspot label doesn't appera too. :(

5. dxmachina

dxmachina

Curious about doing a hill-y scene. Does the system currently handle changes in in Y axis gracefully for the player? IE - Is motion acceleration affected by changes in the Y?

Possibly related - is there any way to make use of Unity terrain - or does the navmesh pathfinding make this a bit too difficult?

Maybe this boils down to... what if you need a more robust floor-shape than a cube?

6. Ozzon

Ozzon

Pretty much like touch screen, if you hold LMB then character follows the cursor, but you can also point and click. It's used in some adventure games, a hybrid control style depending on player's preference. Very useful if you have side scrolling, so player doesn't have to click all the time.

It could appear by rolling down the inventory bar and for example blinking the newly added icon. It would be useful when player gathers quite a few items and doesn't look at the name of an item he just picked up. Additionally, newest additions to inventory could have a different background or outline, so you can easily see which are your new items.

Thanks for your previous answers! :)

7. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Hey guys! Below is another implementation that did: Quick NPC Creator.

Simply drag the template you want to turn into NPC to the field, set bones and animations automatically, press a button and...
    ...DONE! The NPC will be created with all that is necessary in a NPC a much faster way.

Follows a screenshot below:
    $screenshot.png

8. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Since updating AC, I've had no sound at all in the Demo Project; not even once built. I've re-imported it, created a new project, restarted the PC etc and it still won't play. All my other projects' audio works fine though. Any idea why?

9. robinball

robinball

Thanks Chris. I'll check out those suggestions as soon as I can. :)

10. markitosgti

markitosgti

Hey Chris, Is it possible to make a 2D tutorial? I mean 2d Characters and 2d Image Background, because I'm having problems when setting up the navmeshes and colliders for the walkable areas. Character moves on Z-axis, and does strange things... I can't figure it out how to do in the correct way.
    I'm trying an example walkable area like the image:

$2dfloor.jpg

11. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

This week, I'm working on better Translation features - namely import/export buttons, and the ability to translate absolutely everything (hotspots, menus, cursors, etc). The Cursor and Menu managers had to be made before this was possible - there's method to my madness! :)

Nice. I assumed having objects in scene "folders" (empty GameObjects) would let you do the same thing. Would anyone else benefit from this?

I can certainly take a look at navigating menus with cursor keys, if that would help.

For sure, saving would be crucial. I'll look into this, thanks for the description.

Need a bit more to go on - can you preview menus properly when your game isn't running, and are you referring to the demo game?

I've tried using terrains before and found things worked just fine, so long as inclines aren't steep. Character movement is handled purely by the rigidbody, so there isn't anything in the way of motion acceleration in the way you describe, but if the terrain is gradual it shouldn't be noticeable. Using the Mesh Collider method of pathfinding, just replace the Mesh Collider component with a Terrain Collider.

If you combine Touch Screen with Point and Click, does this not achieve the same effect you want? Sorry, I'm missing the difference - are there any videos out there that show off a game with the same interface?

Awesome! Would this be better off as a button within the Player/NPC inspector? Rather like the "Organise room objects" button, it would add any missing required components and order onto the correct layer.

What's the state of the options when you pause the game? Are the sound levels all off? You can try resetting them from the bottom of the Settings Manager.

I'm planning on some more 2D tutorials soon, but the workflow is similar to using 3D sets - only the 2D plane is just beyond the furthest point that the player can walk to.

12. dxmachina

dxmachina

Terrific. But the "floor" would still need to be mapped out with collision cubes/cylinders, right?

13. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Probably not, actually - try using the Terrain Collider by unchecking "Is Trigger?"

14. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Actually no, but I intend to improve together with new ideas, then it would have a real advantage.

Could be, but I'm not a programmer, I'm an artist, maybe some things would be complicated to implement.

15. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Two months of saving, Finally got the Kit!

Cant wait to get started :)

Hey Chris, do you have any advice on where to start designing an adventure game? Best of Luck!

16. Ozzon

Ozzon

I tried that, but character still moves only via point&click. I need to set either point&click or direct control type to see the difference, not sure how to use a hybrid of those.
    If i could select to have both point&click and direct control via touch screen active at the same time, then it would be it. :)

Just as a reminder, please remember about adding the point&click marker somewhere in the future. :D

Again, thanks for your support. It's great to hear that your are adding translation features!

17. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Nice Chris, It would be nice to have an option to drag the arrows (like barril's action) when we were in mobiles, instead of just clicking.

18. amirsaman

amirsaman

Hi ,
    i tried your tool , it was nice and useful.
    i have questions , how can i disable the mouse in game ?
    can i use other key buttons in structure of game-play ?(like Space button)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  19. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Hi Chris

I seem to be having problems with speech files. I have my speech files labelled as Player0.mp3, Player2.mp3 etc and they match the generated script and have been placed in the assets/resources/Speech folder yet they just don't seem to want to play. I've tried mp3 ogg but none of them seem to want to play.

Am I doing something wrong?

20. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Try create a folder with the same name of language inside Speech folder and put your speech files. Remember also that The name of the speech lines must be equal to the speech mp3's. ;)

21. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Thanks Wesley, but it still doesn't work. The player says the text fine, but it just won't play any speech files.

I've generated a script which obviously creates the player's and NPCs' lines. In this case, the lines and relevant files are:

Player 0 - "Blah blah blah" (Resources/Speech/English/Player0.mp3)
    Player 1 - "More blah blah stuff" (Resources/Speech/English/Player1.mp3)

I've obviously tried them in just the Resources/Speech folder, but to no avail.

I'm stumped :/

22. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Thanks for the purchase! Personally I find it best to get away from the computer, and sit down somewhere quiet with a pen and paper. Just write and sketch - don't care about the quality or usefulness of what you put down, eventually ideas will come!

Sorry, I meant to say Direct Control + Touch Screen. I think I understand now, I will see what I can do. And markers are coming in the next update.

Good idea, I'll give it a go.

Not just now, but I'm looking into a keyboard-only input method so this might happen soon.

Does it work when you set the player character to Tin Pot, the one used in the demo? Check your player prefab has an Audio Source component. If still no luck, try deleting the demo game's speech files - they might be conflicting. If so, I will have to get this fixed.

23. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the help :)

I've been following your tutorials, I've gotten to the camera. I set it at the door, and set it as the main camera, but It doesn't follow the player, or when it does, it seeks to follow from behind.

Any ideas? Thanks!

24. outtoplay

outtoplay

+1 for a nice 2D style tut

25. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Hi Chris

Still no joy at all. There's an Audio Source (I haven't even edited the Tin Pot character in any way) but still nothing.

Regards

26. Dotta4

Dotta4

Hi,

I'm just curious about something. Would it be possible to create an enemy NPC that would hit and kill the player? Something like in the amnesia games. Just want to know what's possible before I buy it.

Thanks in advance!

27. TayannaStudios

TayannaStudios

Now, I feel officially stupid...The Speech Volume was set low in the Menu Settings...I am so sorry, lol.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  28. MaaS

MaaS

Hey...

I've been playing with the kit some more, and I have a few suggestions (sorry if they are already there)...

- Move along path action: I would add an option for choosing if moving front start point to finish point, or from finish point to start point (with teleport to the first point).
    - Character Animate action: For 2D clips, you may have clips with directions... like Take_L. It would be cool if you just say clip "Take", and first search if the clip nameclip+"_"+char direction ("Take_L") exists and play it, and if it doesnt, just try to play "Take" without suffix.
    - Character Face: It can face an object. I would like to say, "copy orientation" of target object, to look at the same direction. Or also specify directly a orientation (up/left/down/up-left) without target object.
    - Hotspots: On player action I would add... "Walk to marker and copy orientation", for walking to the marker and look at where the marker arrow points and "Walk to and face" for the same but face the object.
    - Cursor manager: There is a change size for interaction and it's size. It would be cool to have a different interaction size per cursor.
    - For cursor on mobile, as you will have the finger on the screen... I would add an offset for interaction cursor to appear (for showing them above your finger).
    - Maybe for using other GUIs (NGUI/2DTK), it would be cool to specify a LayerMask for navigation and interaction so it doesnt conflits with a GUI layermask when raycasting... :?

- Bug: On point&click input. You can have "Replace cursor" to false and the interaction cursors to true with "Change for interactions". If you do this, and do an interaction (use, talk..), when finished the character doesnt come back to normal walking mode. You can interact with other things if they are onscreen and their actionlist will run, but then again when finished it seems the character keeps in action mode.

So those are a few things I thought. The engine is great so keep this way!!! :D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  29. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

Hi.
    My main problem right now is that the walk animation freezes itself when it comes a stop. I have no idea what to do. Any help is welcome.

Thanks.

FIXED!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  30. TheMightyZQ

TheMightyZQ

A couple of questions regarding the menu editor (which is great, btw, thank you!)...I've made a copy of the demo menu manager and am adding onto it for my own specific needs...in this case, I've created a new "Title Screen" menu for when you first start the game. It's a "manual" appear type menu that I'm triggering at scene load...so you have this animated background with the logo of the game and menu options overlaid across the screen. The game is running like normal (isn't paused) and I've successfully duplicated all of the functionality within the default "Pause" menu into this new "Title Screen" menu.

Couple of questions about this...I'm trying to disable the "Pause" menu for this particular scene, because if I start my game, everything is great...but if I hit the escape button, then it pauses, overlays the "pause" menu on top of my existing menu, then when I back out of the "pause" menu, it causes my "title screen" menu options to disappear. So, I'm looking to temporarily disable the "Pause" menu for this scene but then use it like normal when I start actual gameplay. Is there currently a way to disable a specific menu if the "appear type" isn't set to "manual"? I've tried turning off that specific menu at the same time that I'm starting my "Title Screen" menu with the "Menu: Change State" action , but I'm guessing that since the "Pause" menu is set to "input type", it's not registering that I'm trying to turn it off. Should I just write a script that disables the "escape" button entirely for this particular scene?

Another thing that sort of has me scratching my head is that left-clicks on the mouse don't seem to be registering with this new "Title Screen" menu...only right-clicks...however, in the "Pause" menu, it registers the left-click just fine. I'm not seeing an option in the menu manager for this, but I might be overlooking something. Ultimately, I'd like to unify all menu interactions to left-clicks.

I've gone through the manual a few times on this, so I thought I'd shoot up a flare for help. :)

Thanks a bunch, this is easily my favorite asset store purchase.

31. docas

docas

Chris , his there a clean easy way to add or remove Use interactions on Hotstops ingame?

The same way we can activate dialogue choices.

Example - A door , would have only a look interaction icon if player hasnt got a "key" on its inventory(or bool variable) , but if the player has a key, the same door would have both look and use (key custom icon) interaction

Is this possible right now? if not would it be easy to implement on your asset

32. Sirdim

Sirdim

Hi, I' m trying to follow the tutorials and: the hotspot labels, the speech and the inventory don't show at all. Any Idea about solving that ? Thank you

33. endikaeguia

endikaeguia

no idea, same problem here. :-(

34. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

1.18 was submitted last week, so should be arriving soon! Meanwhile, I've been working on interaction and control types: keyboard-only support, Click-And-Drag, and an option to detect hotspots via the player's vicinity, rather than mouse-overing them.

In this case, it is possible - make your "Key" interaction an Inventory interaction, and change your Interaction method (in the Settings Manager) to Choose Hotspot Then Interaction. When you click on a Hotspot, only available interactions will show, and this goes for inventory items too - it will only display the "Use key" option if you're carrying the associated inventory item. This way, you can make a game with inventory puzzles without actually having an inventory bar (like e.g. Walking Dead)

It sounds like a problem with the Menu, since that's the common link between all these things. Are you using the Demo Manager asset? If so, do they display correctly in the Game Window when the game is not running, and the Menu Manager has the "preview" checkbox checked?

Sorry, I don't understand how it can do both - what's causing the switch? Be sure to set the GameCamera as the "active" camera, rather than the main camera - the main camera is just a prefab and should be left alone. Then try removing any constraint on the GameCamera and just get it to follow the player first with an influence of 1 and offset of 0. Then change these values to the way you want, and once done that you can add in some constraints to limit it's movement.

Adventure Creator is intended for more passive traditional adventures, but with a bit of work it's possible to do this. An enemy-like NPC would need a custom AI script/package that you could either write yourself or get from another asset. Technically, it wouldn't need to be an "Adventure Creator NPC", you'd just need to have it run a Cutscene every time the player is attacked.

In this Cutscene, you lower the value of a Variable called Health, and then immediately check to see if it's below zero. If so, you can either switch to a menu scene, quit the game, or load an autosave.

A mistake I've made myself before now! :)

Some good suggestions in there, I'll look into some of these for the next release (+ thanks for the bug alert).

The Character: Face action already has a "Copy rotation" function which already works the way you're suggesting (i.e. copies the object's orientation). Also, in the 1.19 update, you will be able to position hotspot and interaction menus at the hotspots themselves rather than the cursor - this should benefit mobile games.

I'd considered adding a "Locking" option to menus, so that you could enable/disable them as needed, but couldn't think of a use until now. Bit of an oversight now that you've brought this up, I'll see about this.

Strange.. is your Input type set to Mouse And Keyboard?

You're welcome, and thanks! :)

35. TheMightyZQ

TheMightyZQ

That would be great! Thanks!

Yeah - I have it set to Point Click and Mouse Keyboard. I also tried nuking my old managers and rebuilding them from scratch, to no avail...I'm wondering if I just have some legacy setting somewhere, but I'm not sure what that would be...

36. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Version 1.18 is out!
    • Added: Ability to translate hotspots, dialogue options, cursors, inventory items and menus
    • Added: Ability to import/export translations as CSV files
    • Added: Click Marker - shows player's intended destination when point-and-clicking
    • Added: MenuInput element - accepts text input when active
    • Added: Syntax options for hotspot label when inventory is selected
    • Added: Ability to offset GameCamera's LookAt target in X and Z directions
    • Fixed: "Make default" button not always displaying in Conversation inspector

The updated translation options and click marker are demonstrated in the updated demo game.

The upcoming 1.19 release makes a number of fixes/changes to the control system. Probably best to wait to see if simply updating fixes the problem, first.

37. Summerson

Summerson

Hi, dear developer.
    Wanted to check one thing about the cutscenes. Most large scale adventure games nowadays have option to play video cinematics along with playing in-game cutscenes.
    Does Adventure creator has this option? Or did I miss something?

38. docas

docas

Hi, Is there a way to choose if a Hotspot is active or deactivated on game start/awake?

Some ocasions a hotspot needs to be activated only after certain events, but it must be deactivated, on start

It would be cool a "is active option" , to avoid scripting on awake deactivate certain hotspots

39. TheMightyZQ

TheMightyZQ

Thanks, Chris!

40. docas

docas

Requests:

1- Multiple Object: Send Message

Sometimes we have many hotspots or other items to activate/deactivate , and at this point when this happens we have to create an action for each item
    (e.g - We need to send message to deactivate on 7 hotspots and 7 triggers) we would need 14 actions

It would be nice to have the hability to choose how many object slots we need to send the same message

edit- actualy there are other actions that would benefit from a multi object-choice option like dialogue toogle

2- Choose main character at start feature

I understand that at this point we cant have more then one main character, but would it be possible in the future adding in this asset a inicial choice template bettew characters? (male, female, name chosing) or even some customization template

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  41. Makis1982

Makis1982

can i use this tool with animator controller on my player?

42. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Using movie files in Unity is a pro-only feature, so I haven't implemented it for Adventure Creator. However, using the Object: Send Message action to call a simple script that plays such a file would be easy to do.

Just put the Hotspot in question onto the Ignore Raycast layer.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Probably not, since Adventure Creator provides it's own animation controllers.

I'd prefer to keep things as they are regarding this - though I agree it'll make occasional tasks slightly faster, it would complicate bugfixing and action labelling. On a technical level, it would also require convering the object field to an array, which would break people's existing actions.

I'll keep this in mind when adding multiple characters, but bear in mind you can create variables that act as character "properties". The next update will allow you to display variable values in menus, something I should have had as a feature from the beginning!

43. docas

docas

Bug? or my head is not right

I have a inicial conversation with 5 dialogue choices

Each dialogue trigers another conversation with other 5 choices

I cant seem to triger another conversation from a dialogue choice, but i can access any conversation if it is set to first conversation (on the major interaction) but not within a dialogue choices

what am i doing wrong?

44. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

I will test this shortly, but in the meantime - have you made sure the initial conversation options have "Return to conversation" unchecked?

45. docas

docas

Worked like a charm (unchecking - return to conversation)

Everything works great now

Bug on my head confirmed :p

Thanks Chris

46. dxmachina

dxmachina

Hi Chris,

Is there any way currently to do parallax for 2D cameras?

47. LindseyGameDev

LindseyGameDev

Hi Chris, would it be possible to have the "Run in background" option for more of the actions such as Path Move? I've been using this tool to make movies and the path moving command waits until the character/player has stopped moving before continuing on to the next action.

48. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

v1.19 submitted and awaiting approval. Lots of random features, tweaks and improvements on their way!

Do you mean have background graphics move at a different rate to the foreground? Not currently, but it'd be possible to do this in script. I'll see if I can add this.

The syntax is a little different, but most other Actions have a "Pause until finish" option which handles the same thing. Generally the game has to wait whenever you make the Player character do something, but NPCs are fine. You could try having a separate NPC that uses the same Player character model, which you swap out during cutscenes.

49. Wesley-Sales

Wesley-Sales

Try adapt the script of the 2D demo made by own Unity, available free in Asset Store!

50. Makis1982

Makis1982

u can if u have a good animator controller and u cant use any of this tool animations :|
    so if u r good with animator controllers u can use them.