Search Unity

Adventure Creator - Make 3D adventure games (DEMO, VIDEO, WEBSITE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ChrisIceBox, Oct 9, 2013.

1. JAMiller

JAMiller

Hello,

I'm having trouble making a forum account over on AdventureCreator.org - I never get a confirmation email (checked my spam box and everything). I tried a 2nd account using gmail even, and it never gets a confirmation email - so I cannot post there.
    Edit: AC forum registration is working now! I just got both confirmation emails (one took 24 hours) - happened after posting this message.

(Removed my other question and posted on AC's forum now that's working, thanks!)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Apologies - I don't know why it took that long. I've replied to your post, however.

3. reocwolf

reocwolf

I don't own AC yet but I just want to see if I can do what I'm planning to do.

So I'm pretty sure you probably have been asked this at some point. Can you show us a way to implement a bridge between Inventory pro and AC? Or provide an example scene/script maybe?

Also If I have my menus set up already will they work with AC? How does AC handles this? Is it handled by ID links or something like it? In which case all I would have to do is reference the UI element I want to add certain AC functionality to in the AC editor, right? I shouldn't have to rebuild my UI inside AC like other assets make you do, right?

Thanks,

4. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

AC doesn't provide an official link between the two assets, but I've written some thoughts on the matter here. Essentially it comes down to AC providing you with the tools and API for a bridge script to be written for any such inventory asset: the scripting API provides detail on all the public functions and variables of all classes, including RuntimeInventory (the MonoBehaviour in which the player's current inventory is stored as a List) and InvItem (the data-container class for each item).

Right-clicking on any field within AC's Inventory Manager also allows you top copy an API reference to that field directly to the text buffer, allowing for easier coding. To aid in inventory extensions, each item also has a linkedPrefab GameObject field that you can assign within AC's Inventory Manager, and then reference using your custom script.

AC has its own Menu-drawing system that relies on OnGUI calls, however it also supports Unity UI through the use of prefab links and ID numbers. Essentially it comes down to informing AC of what your elements are (Button, Label etc), what they're text contents are, and where on your prefab that can be found. All of AC's default Menus (as seen in the demo game) have Unity UI-counterparts, and tutorials on linking the two can be found here: video, text.

5. ISH_the_Creator

ISH_the_Creator

How do you go about spawning characters that are killed in game.

Oh nvm. I figured it out

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. robinvr

robinvr

I'm getting the "Cannot create evasion Polygons inside NavMesh 'NavMesh2D' because it has a non-unit scale." error. How can I solve it?

7. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Set the scale of your NavMesh(es) to 1,1,1. I have replied to your first post on the forum.

8. ocimpean

ocimpean

I apologies for the beginner question, but what is the difference between Adventure Creator and First Person Exploration Kit or Horror Development Kit or other like First Person Adventure, beside the first person interactions and price?

Second: Does Adventure Creator has a Load/Save included?

9. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

We have replied to your re-post on the Adventure Creator forum here.

10. ocimpean

ocimpean

Thank you for answering.

11. Flow3k

Flow3k

Hello Chris, I wrote you an email instead posting here, because there is some personal stuff in it and also some detailed features of a game idea.
    An answer would be very kind! I write also here, because I don't know if your spam filter is moving my mail directly to trash. :)

12. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Hello! Still waiting for AC Forum activation email so will ask here.

I wish to use the context sensitive interaction setting, and have the cursor change based on the context.
    For example, I simply wish to switch to my 'pick up' cursor when hovering over a collectable object. I suppose the hotspot could be extended to define a custom icon each time but it feels like there is a better way. I understand there is the Custom Interaction System. Would a whole new system have to be built for such a minor change or can it be extended somehow?

13. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Apologies for the wait. PM me your username - I'll activate it manually.

You're talking about just having the cursor change when hovering over an object? The 3D Demo does the same thing. In the Cursor Manager, check Change cursor based on Interaction? under the "Interaction icons" header. You will have to define a separate cursor icon for each cursor type you want to show, and then select it in the Hotspot's Inspector - but again, see how the Demo does it with e.g. Talking to the Brain NPC.

14. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Thanks for your reply, my username is the same as this one.

Ah so it does! I didn't notice this on the demo before, that's exactly what I was looking for. It works just fine, it appears to be due to the fact that I'm using a unified sprite sheet of all my cursors, and trying to use Frames to define the frame number setting animation speed to 0. I can't see how I would do that?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  15. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

If you don't want the cursor to be animated, then you'll need to supply a single frame rather than an animation sheet.

16. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Got it, thanks again. And happy holidays!

17. FractalCore

FractalCore

I'm attempting to have a type of mini-game within my adventure. I've got the player character walking over and activating it. It loads a scene where the mini-game will be, but it loads the player character in as well because he's in the "DontDestroyOnLoad" persistent scene.

This mini-game won't involve Adventure Creator at all. I just want to put it on hold until the player resumes afterwards. The mini-game will be made using Playmaker, which is all hooked up and co-operating with Adventure Creator. It'll be in 3d while the adventure part is 2d.

How do I load a scene without bringing the player character in? Or should I ignore the player sprite in the 3d scene, hide it or something.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  18. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

You should be OK with the player being in the scene so long as he's hidden from view. AC considers a given scene an "AC" one by the presence of the GameEngine object - if there isn't one, then AC should "shut down" automatically until another AC scene is opened again.

You can, however, do without "spawning" prefabs if you wish by unsetting the Player field in the Settings Manager, and placing a local Player object in each AC scene. A local Player object in a scene will be used only in that scene, and won't be made persistent.

19. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Your asset looks great. Does AC support Cinemachine? I wanted to use procedural camera motion for a more dynamic and interesting feel when two characters are talking.

Also, any compatibility with SALSA and/or TR-Voice? I wanted to use lypsync and real-time text-to-speech together.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  20. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Cinemachine can be used in conjunction with AC, but the switching between Cinemachine cameras is handled through your own means (e.g. scripting or animating the "enabled" state of your various CM cameras). See the "Working with Cinemachine" chapter of the Manual.

Salsa 3D can be used independently alongside AC, and AC has dedicated integration for Salsa 2D - see the "Lip syncing" chapter of the Manual. If you meant RT-Voice, I gather AC is supported by that asset's developers - you should contact them for clarification.

21. thiruda

thiruda

Hi ,
    I'm trying to make a chat box , where all the converstaions occur.
    One way I found to do this was by giving a transform to the NPC's speech placement child. However , the transform of speech does not change even when I assign a transform to the NPC.
    Can someone tell me how this is done?

22. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Did you post a similar question on the AC forum? I've replied to it.

In order for a Subtitles menu to rely on a character's speech placement child, the menu's Position type must be set to Above Speaking Character.

23. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Hello,
    Is there ability to change and/or lock-unlock cursor in run time?

24. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Yes - see the "Cursor locking" chapter of the Manual.

25. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

I mean by script...

26. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

27. FractalCore

FractalCore

I'm attempting to make a 3d player character with the "Direct" control type. Everything works but when I switch from one camera to another on a different angle (while still walking) the player immediately begins walking relative to the new camera. Which, in this case, makes him walk back into the room he just came from.

I read in the manual (page 62) that there's some kind of system that should make the player character keep walking in the same direction after a camera switch until you press a different direction input button. But it doesn't seem to do this. Is there something else I have to do?

28. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

It should be automatic, but the effect disables itself if the input stops or changes direction by 5 degrees. You could try debugging PlayerInput.cs to see where the problem lies. Look for the line "if (cameraLockSnap)" in that script (around line 1277 in the latest release).

Beneath that, you'll find the line:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector2 newMoveKeys = new Vector2 (h, v);
    Paste the following beneath that:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.Log ("NewMoveKeys magnitude:" + newMoveKeys.sqrMagnitude + ", Angle: " + Vector2.Angle (newMoveKeys, moveKeys));
    What does the Console say when the issue occurs?

29. FractalCore

FractalCore

NewMoveKeys magnitude:0, Angle: 90
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    AC.PlayerInput:CreateMoveKeys(Single, Single) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInput.cs:1281)
    AC.PlayerInput:UpdateDirectInput() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerInput.cs:1224)
    AC.StateHandler:Update() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:253)

It says that when I click play and nothing changes when the camera switches. This happens with either the keyboard or controller.

30. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

If that's only showing when the game starts up, it can be ignored.

Try setting the When running property of the ActionList in question to Run In Background. If that has no effect:
    • What are your AC/Unity version numbers?
    • Is your scene in 3D?
    • Are you snapping to your new camera instantly with the Camera: Switch Action?
    • What is the state of your Direct-movement type? field in your Settings Manager's Movement settings panel?

31. FractalCore

FractalCore

Perfect. Run in Background had to be on. The default has it set to Pause Gameplay. Unless I missed something, it might be worth making a note of that in the manual pdf.

And this is a 3d scene, I'm using Camera Switch, with Relative To Camera set in Direct-movement type. Adventure Creator v1.63.2

32. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Quite right, I'll address this in the next release.

33. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Hello, Chris,
    What AC event must be used in a script to make some actions after scene is changed by
    Code (CSharp):
    1. KickStarter.sceneChanger.ChangeScene(...)
    (not loaded from save)?
    And is it right to use
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EventManager.OnFinishLoading
    event for such purposes when scene is loaded from save?
    Thanks

34. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

The OnAfterSceneChange event is triggered after switching to a new scene, with a parameter to describe the circumstances (i.e. from loading a save, switching player, or just normal gameplay).

The OnFinishLoading event is triggered after loading a save file, once the correct scene has been opened.

35. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Chris,
    There are problems with OnAfterSceneChange event:
    1. It triggers only if Settings.Scene loading.Load scenes asynchronously? is set to True.
    2. It always triggers with No param regardless off is this save loading or changing to a new scene

I must note than my settings is not default: Always reload scene when... and Use loading screen are set to True.

I need a reliable event to be sure all AC variables are loaded and ready. Is OnAfterSceneChange suitable for this?

Thanks
    Alex

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  36. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

You can always run a custom script via the Object: Call event / Object: Send message Actions in an OnStart cutscene, but if there are issues with the event they'll need addressing. What are your AC and Unity versions? Please also post your full Settings Manager.

37. gferrari

gferrari

38. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

It will require some custom scripting, and how easy it is will also depend on the other asset - there's no "set way" to link two such assets together. However, there are resources to help:
    1. The Manual's "Custom motion controllers" chapter
    2. The Adding a custom motion controller tutorial
    3. The wiki's Integrations page, which offers a few integration scripts for other assets that may be adaptable
    Setting the AC Player component's "Motion control" field to "Manual" prevents AC from having any control over the Player's position or rotation. However, this will apply for cutscenes as well, so it's typically easier to control this through script so that it can revert back to "Automatic" when AC enters "cutscene" mode.

For an example of this technique, see the "OnEnterGameState" function in the UCC integration.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    gferrari likes this.
  39. wm-VR

wm-VR

Hello! Great work you did with this software!
    I have a simple question; Is it possible to use the AC NPC Motioncontroller in conjunction with Behaviour Desginer for automatic movement like wander, follow, patrol ...? Is there a way to feed your NPC script with the navmesh Agent transform controlled by BD? I don't want to use a 3rd party assset (like 3rd person conroller) for something the NPC controller is probably capable of. Thank u

40. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

You could likely rely on the NPC to move according to another system, but you'd still need to call the NPC functions via a custom script.

You can command an NPC to move somewhere via their MoveToPoint method, or move along a pre-set path via MoveAlongPath. The Scripting Guide's entry on the Char class (which NPC derives from) lists all functions available to you.

It's also possible for the NPC script to rely on a NavMesh Agent for their movement instead. Just attach the included NavMeshAgentIntegration component to the NPC's root. This script is commented with explanations on how it works, and can be duplicated/modified to suit your own needs if necessary.

wm-VR likes this.
  41. wm-VR

wm-VR

Thanks for the very quick reply!
    I have followed your advice and the notions inside the mentioned script step-by-step but the NPC isn't playing any animations at all. The NavMeshAgent is still just moving the GameObject along the navmesh path controlled by BD like a statue.

Is it with the script attached to the NPC supposed to work right away or do I have to make changes in code first? Since I am an incredible bad coder (but a better artist :) I hope I just made a misstake.

The reason why I like the AC controller so much is the fact that the turn and movement system is really good balanced and moving my player with point-and-click looks just awesome. I just need walk - run - turn for my NPC. Pretty much the same controller my player is using.

42. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

The NavMesh Agent is a separate controller (though one AC can make use of), so the motion style will be different.

Either way, you will still need to call the NPC's movement functions I mentioned above in order for them to "know" that the walking animation etc should be played. I'm presuming your animation settings in the NPC Inspector are all set up correctly. I would recommend checking that the NPC can move and animate as intended using the standard "Character: Move to point" Action first, and only looking to integrate with another asset once that's all correct.

If you need further assistance, know that we have a dedicated forum over at https://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/

43. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I am using Character Movement Fundamentals and I wanted to check and see if this system will work with this 3rd person controller out of the box?

44. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

You can set the Player component's "Motion control" field to "Manual" to have another asset attached to them take over all movement handling, but for a proper link between them (e.g. having AC control the character during cutscenes), you'd need an integration script. How that script would look would be based on your own needs, but a tutorial on the principles involved can be found here.

JamesArndt likes this.
  45. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Thank you that is very helpful. I've just went with the built-in point and click controller provided. I'm seeing a very odd issue which is player movement being fine in the editor, but in builds the character does not move at a constant rate, strange slowdowns of the player movement in builds from Unity 2019.4.2f1. It looks like some kind of easing or blending issue of some sort, but only seen in the Windows PC build...runs perfect in the editor.

46. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Slowdown as in performance, or character's actual motion? Do they make use of Root Motion and/or a Blend Tree?

There shouldn't be such a difference between build vs editor - can you share some screenshots of the character's Inspectors / Animator Controller?

Try dropping the demo game's Player prefab into the scene to temporarily override your own - do they have the same issue? Use the 2DDemo's Brain2D if yours is a 2D scene, and the Demo's TinPot if 3D.

JamesArndt likes this.
  47. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Chris,
    Thank you so much for such a timely response. So I did solve the issue, but it had nothing to do with your product. However everything globally in my project was affected by this. The first clue to the issue was the lighting in the build. I paid close attention to it and noticed that the baked lighting was very low resolution. I did not catch this on the first review. I checked the quality settings and they were set to "Ultra" and all baked lighting settings were very high quality. Turns out looking into the Windows Registry was the answer. The quality settings in there for this project had multiple entries saved for different quality settings. Every time I was making a new build it was not overwriting and updating with the new high quality settings. It was stuck referencing settings that were low quality and from an older build. On Low Quality settings, in my project there are dramatic reductions to the physics I'm assuming. Lower solver counts or something. It was causing the movement in your package to either not solve correctly or "warping" it. I didn't touch the very low settings, so it must be something Unity sets by default. After I deleted these registry entries and made new builds everything was buttery smooth! I'm sorry to have bothered you with an issue that had nothing to do with your product.

48. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

@ChrisIceBox i wanted to learn AC & use it for mobiles, none of third person controller integration is done right.. I guess new unity starter FPS & TPS should be integrated to AC.

49. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Unity's new starter FPS/TPS scripts do not lend themselves well to integration, from what I've seen. If you have an issue with an existing integration, though, please share details.

50. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Invector third person shooter for mobile, having problems with hotspots maybe touch canvas is on top so there is no way to tap hotspot