Search Unity

Adventure Creator - Make 3D adventure games (DEMO, VIDEO, WEBSITE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ChrisIceBox, Oct 9, 2013.

1. LarryWP

LarryWP

So I am kind of at a loss as what to do now.

2. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

And you checked the animations? Please follow my previous advice regarding trying out the Brain2D prefab included with AC, as well as posting screenshots of your setup. Don't worry - we'll find the problem.

3. LarryWP

LarryWP

OK. I really appreciate your patience, it's got to be frustrating dealing with newbies all the time. I have programmed for a hobby since 1990, but for some reason, Unity has been a stumbling block for me. Using assets is a lot of fun but they also have a lot more settings that add to the frustrating side. Writing bare bones code seems easier than using menus with zillions of settings. :)

I'm not quite sure exactly what animations to check. The animations that are in the demo directory of course play fine. I ran those for fun, but the ones my tutorial runs, is that what you mean? And where are they? I have a brain block.

I may not get screenshots posted until Thursday morning. Thanks again Chris.

4. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

I was referring to the one's you've made yourself as part of the tutorial, yes. If you open up your character's Animator window and click on an animation, then clicking on the Clip field at the top of the Inspector will "ping" the asset file it references. But the location isn't too important - just have the Animation window open at the same time, and you should find you can edit the animations that are in the Animator.

5. Hormic

Hormic

another noob questionn....... :rolleyes:
    I'm wondering if the I2 Localization Asset will work with AC.
    It's on sale now and it looks like a very good asset for tranlation,
    but i don't know cause AC has an own way of dealing with different languages, so will it make sense do use it with AC or rather not? Thank you for your advice Chris.

6. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

I'm afraid not, though conceivably you could write a bridge between them using AC's scripting guide. However, AC has it's own translation tools - and every piece of display text in your game, including UI and Hotspot names as well as speech, can be translated internally.

Hormic likes this.
  7. Hormic

Hormic

Thank you very much, so i will use the AC method while i working with the AC Asset!

another Question:
    Is it possible to control the maincharacter (movement method) in both ways?
    With direct method keyboard arrows +(WASD) and with mouseclick somewhere on the floor.

This would be very nice and i guess it was also possible in The walking dead, to use either mouseclick or WASD.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  8. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

I'm afraid not at the same time, as that would cause some issues with the way AC works. However, it is possible to swap between these two modes e.g. in an Options menu.

9. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

@LarryWP It seems that others are experiencing similar issues related to NavMeshes in the latest release. I can't say for sure it's exactly the same as yours, but I am looking into it.

10. LarryWP

LarryWP

OK. Animations are fine. I have had a bad time with the navmesh, more than I should. Brain even walks outside of it at times.

11. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Understood. Please stand by, I will do what I can ASAP.

12. Hormic

Hormic

I have finished now the youtube tutorial and i really like all what AC has to offer, except the save - load funktionallity.
    It is so complicarted to adjust and with larger games it is for sure a source for millions of bugs. I don't know if its possible to handle this (what i thought rather trivial thing) more internal without that the creator has to set up actions for almost every one of assets.

And i also had an issue with it, when the player is in Closeup view and saves the game the menu is gone.
    2 times - the first time right now after clicking save, load or option in the pause menu, the closeup menu is disappearing and don't come back when i resume the game.
    The second time its not visible after loading but here i managed to turn it on, with an variable check in the CorrectAnims Cutscene if the game is in CloseUp view or not.
    But i don't know how to avoid the disappearing of the closeupmenu when i hit one of the three words in the pause menu, please can you give me a hint on this?

(I also have a non functiong navmesh with AC 1.48)

13. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

AC's save system is designed to be the opposite of buggy - since it'll only save what you tell it to, and not assume anything. The only area you should have to add Actions for is animations - the rest is done automatically so long as you add the correct Remember scripts to tell AC what exactly to save. Is there something specific you're finding troublesome?

Change your close-up Menu's Appear type to During Gameplay. If you've set it to Manual, then - as the name suggests - you will have to re-enable it after during off your Pause menus (you could do such a check in your Pause menu's "ActionList when turn off"). If it is set to appear during gameplay, however, then it's display will be handled automatically - including when loading a save.

I'll need to know more than that. Please describe the problem in as much detail as you can.

14. Hormic

Hormic

My point is that it is very much work for the designer, to set up all animations and assets for a proper load save functionality. And therefore it is very much possible to have bugs because when i overlook only a tiny piece in my game to set up for the save - load functionality, then there might be nasty bugs in my game hard to trace.
    Therefore i'm wondering why it is so complicated for me to set up the animations and adding remember scripts to everything. But maybe its because of my misunderstanding, i have only used 2D adventureengines like AGS or Wintermute so far and they manage this functionality internally.
    To be honest i was expecting to have a comfortable system for load and save within who takes care of all this things automatically, without me have to think about it during the actual gamedesign.

Thank you i will look into this.
    I have done all the steps in your Creating a 3d game tut and this is an issue which was there in the example after finishing.

Same here, i followed the 3d game tut on youtube and the navmesh is just not working, the Tinpot can go everywhere as long as a collisionmesh is underneath but the navmesh has no effect.

15. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Because this is still a framework within Unity, rather than it's own engine - and the system still needs to be flexible enough to accomodate custom saving. While adding a script to an object may be inconvenient, it does at least ensure you have total control over what gets saved, and also gives you the ability to write custom Remember scripts for AC to save. However, I do appreciate your feedback and will consider improvements in this area.

If you're using Direct movement, then the NavMesh won't affect where the Player can and cannot go. The NavMesh will only be used during Cutscenes, or if you use Point And Click movement (basically whenever the system moves a character for you). During gameplay, if you're using Direct, then Colliders must be used to limit the player's movement. This is made clear in Section 2.3 of the included manual.

Hormic likes this.
  16. Hormic

Hormic

Ok i see, thank you very much for answering. :)

17. nixter

nixter

I apologize for posting this here instead of the AC Forums, but I am not receiving a conformation email for my new account at adventurecreator.org. UPDATE: Nevermind. Got it set up properly.

I'm getting an error when using the Replace method with the Object:Add or Remove action. I'm using gameobject parameters for both objects and getting the following error:

The action is adding the new object but not removing the one set for deletion. Has this come up before?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  18. TonyLi

TonyLi

I also ran into this the other day. I really should have let Chris know so he can address it, but I was in a time crunch, so my workaround was to simply use Add and Remove as separate actions instead of a single Replace.

nixter likes this.
  19. nixter

nixter

Good advice, Tony!

I wanted to use the Replace method because there is no way to Add an object on the location of the trigger. Add only has two options for Position Relative To: Relative to Player and Relative to Active Camera. Neither of these worked for my needs because the actions are being triggered by multiple NPCs, so multiple cameras are out and the Player's position is moot.

Now that I think about it, I just need to use an Object: Teleport between the two. Spawn object, Move object to Trigger then Remove trigger. Not so hard after all. :) I'll try that until the fix is in.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  20. TonyLi

TonyLi

That's exactly what I did, too.

21. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Thanks for the report. In what kind of ActionList is this run, and how is it triggered? I believe this only occurs under certain circumstances.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  22. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Update: I managed to find the bug and will release a fix in an update. In the meantime, you can correct the error following the steps described here.

23. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Version 1.50 is out - Happy New Year!

Upgrade notes
    • The GameEngine prefab now has an additional component - “MultiSceneChecker”, and MUST be re-imported when updating
    • AC’s UFPS integration has been updated, but the set-up steps have changed - please see Section 2.7 of the Manual
    • AC’s OUYA integration has been updated, but the set-up steps have changed - please see Section 2.10 of the Manual
    • Custom navigation scripts are now set by setting a scene’s “Pathfinding method” to “Custom”, and entering in the name of the script
    • If dialogue text is separated by carriage returns, each line is now given it’s own translation ID in the Speech Manager
    • Pitch constraints on Third-person GameCameras are now set with both minimum and maximum values - not just a maximum
    • 2D character turning speeds may need to be adjusted slightly after upgrading

Unity 5.3
    • Added: Compatibility with Unity 5.3
    • Added: The main AC Game Editor window now respects the active scene, if multiple are being edited at once (Unity 5.3 only)

Third-party
    • Changed: AC’s UFPS integration has been overhauled, but the set-up steps have changed - please see Section 2.7 of the Manual
    • Changed: AC’s OUYA integration has been updated, but the set-up steps have changed - please see Section 2.10 of the Manual

Navigation
    • Added: “NavMeshAgent Integration” script - add to a character in a scene that uses Unity Navigation to control that character’s movement with a NavMeshAgent
    • Added: Ability for 2D NavMeshes to allow for pathfinding around moving characters
    • Added: Option to “Character: NPC follow” Action to have the NPC turn to face its target when idle
    • Added: Chapter to the Manual on precise character movement
    • Changed: The “Attempt to move around characters” checkbox on 2D NavMeshes has been replaced with a drop-down list
    • Fixed: Various issues with character movement, particularly those in 3D
    • Fixed: Polygon Collider-based NavMeshes not adding holes in the correct place if the NavMesh has a non-unit scale
    • Fixed: Node Cutscenes becoming improperly assigned if a Path’s nodes are modified

Sorting Maps
    • Added: The “Character: Change rendering” Action can now be used to change which SortingMap a character follows
    • Added: FollowSortingMap components can now follow SortingMaps that are not the scene’s default
    • Changed: The “Follow Sorting map?” option on the FollowSortingMap component has been changed to “Follow default Sorting Map?”
    • Fixed: 2D characters occasionally being rendered in the wrong order

Speech and translations
    • Added: Non-default Player prefabs can be assigned in the “Dialogue: Play speech” Action manually, so that their name appears in the Speech Manager
    • Added: Ability to assign custom speech AudioClips and lipsync text files to a speech line, rather than having it read automatically by name
    • Added: If a Sound component is added to a character’s speech audio source, then it can be used to set the relative volume of their speech
    • Changed: If dialogue text is separated by carriage returns, each line is now given it’s own translation ID in the Speech Manager
    • Fixed: Unhandled Hotspot interactions not always being included in translations
    • Fixed: Original text of a translatable line not showing in Speech Manager once it is selected
    • Fixed: Rare issue when skipping speech text
    • Fixed: Display issue with subtitle “speaker” Labels if narration and character speech is played in succession
    • Fixed: Issues when skipping speech that contains [wait] tokens

Saving and loading
    • Added: Ability to let AC attempt to “auto-tag” GameObjects with appropriate ‘Remember’ scripts needed for saving to function
    • Added: Option to always force-reload the scene when loading a save file in the same scene
    • Fixed: Issues when loading a saved game that include a RememberTransform component that has been removed from the scene
    • Fixed: Constant ID numbers always not being set for prefabs that have multiple “Remember” components
    • Fixed: Issues with save files for projects that have no Player prefab

ActionLists
    • Added: Ability to convert ActionList assets to Cutscenes, via the top-right menu in the Inspector
    • Added: Ability to convert scene-based ActionLists to ActionList assets, via the top-right menu in the Inspector
    • Added: String parameters now support Variable and custom tokens
    • Added: Field to the Actions Manager that controls the panning or zooming speed when using the ActionList Editor window
    • Fixed: ActionList fields sometimes appearing empty under specific circumstances
    • Fixed: Issues when copying scene-based Actions using the ActionList Editor window
    • Fixed: Action fields sometimes unsetting if they refer to a prefab that is also in a scene

Custom scripting
    • Added: New delegates to the PlayerInput script to override mouse input detection
    • Added: Character “Motion control” setting is now exposed even if the Animation engine isn’t set to Custom, so that it can be overridden independently
    • Changed: Custom navigation scripts are now set by setting a scene’s “Pathfinding method” to “Custom”, and entering in the name of the script

Actions
    • Changed: The Actions Manager now display a list of Action categories as buttons - clicking a button expands it to show a list of Actions for that type
    • Fixed: Error when using the “Object: Add or remove” Action to replace one GameObject with another
    • Fixed: Errors if a 2D NPC is removed from the scene using the “Object: Add or remove” Action

Cameras
    • Added: “GameCamera 2D Drag” prefab to Unity2D games - moves by clicking/touch-dragging around the screen
    • Added: If AC detects a non-standard MainCamera when creating a new scene, it will ask you if it should replace it or simply untag it
    • Added: The “Always behind target?” option for Third-person GameCameras is now also available when spin rotation is Limited, not just Locked
    • Added: Option to crossfade to the last-active gameplay camera with the “Camera: Crossfade” Action
    • Changed: Pitch constraints on Third-person GameCameras are now set with both minimum and maximum values - not just a maximum
    • Fixed: Third-person Cameras set to rotate “Always behind target” not doing so during Cutscenes

Journals
    • Added: Ability to use a Journal element to display another Journal’s contents with a page offset
    • Added: Ability to set the number of pages to offset by when using a Button element to offset a Journal’s page
    • Added: Ability to only display a Button that offsets a Journal’s page if clicking it will be effective
    • Fixed: Line-break issues when exporting translations with multi-line Journal elements

Quick-time events
    • Added: The “Wrong key fails?” option in QTE sequences now responds to simulated input
    • Fixed: Mouse clicks ending QTE sequences that have “Wrong key fails?” checked
    • Fixed: Display issues with Timer Menu Elements that are used to display the time remaining of a QTE

Menus
    • Fixed: Rare display issues with Menus when using a Button to offset another Element
    • Fixed: Menu previews showing in Game Window even when the active Manager is not the Menu Manager
    • Fixed: Minor issues with Interaction Menus
    • Fixed: Minor issues when clicking on Unity UI-based Menu Elements

Scene editing
    • Added: If a prefab is auto-created using the Scene Manager, that object is now highlighted in the Hierarchy window
    • Fixed: Hotspots, Triggers and CollisionCube boundaries not displaying properly if their colliders are resized

Hotspots
    • Fixed: Hotspot icons rendered in World Space not fading out correctly
    • Fixed: Hotspot verbs not showing in rare circumstances
    • Fixed: Player not always moving to within a Hotspot’s Proximity value if a Walk-To Marker is also defined

Player prefabs
    • Fixed: Inventory occasionally re-setting when leaving a scene that uses a local Player prefab
    • Fixed: Errors when switching Player prefab if multiple GameObjects tagged as “Player” are present in the scene

Other
    • Added: Error messages to Console if either of the demo scenes are run with the incorrect Managers loaded
    • Added: Line breaks to console messages, to improve readability
    • Added: Messages sent to the Console using the “ActionList: Comment” Action now support Variable and custom tokens
    • Added: Double-clicking on a Manager Package asset file will now bulk-assign all Managers it references
    • Added: If a character’s head is turned using the “Character: Face object” Action, then moving the object they face will also turn the character’s head
    • Changed: The GameEngine prefab now has an additional component - “MultiSceneChecker”
    • Fixed: Character scales set for 3D characters with “Character: Rendering” Action not being in percentages
    • Fixed: Further issues when switching from an AC scene to a non-AC scene
    • Fixed: RememberMoveable component not always restoring a Draggable’s position when loading a save file

nixter, ksam2 and TonyLi like this.
  24. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

My God man!! Do you ever sleep?
    How do you find the time to just keep updating AC? I am not complaining, just wondering how you do it.
    Thanks Chris and have a happy new year and maybe take like a little time out for yourself.
    all the best
    Chris from Germany.

25. nixter

nixter

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, Chris. I guess I wasn't getting thread updates.

I saw the update that fixed the issue and I thought I would load this new version up and check to make sure. Upgrading to 1.5 gave me two compile errors:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionCharPathFindNearest.cs(107,117): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `AC.NavigationEngine.GetPointsArray(UnityEngine.Vector3, UnityEngine.Vector3, AC.Char)' has some invalid arguments
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionCharPathFindNearest.cs(107,117): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `AC.Char' expression to type `UnityEngine.Vector3'
    Anyone else getting this?

26. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

The errors look like they're coming from custom Actions, so I expect they're unique to your own game. They refer to the GetPointsArray function, which you can see the scripting guide reference for here.

27. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to thank you for the amazing asset that you created for us! I love it and it made game development so much easier for me!

I have a question about a asset on the store called: Third Person Controller Template by Invector, its also an amazing asset you guys should check it out. Can Invector integrate/work with Adventure Creator? I'm looking at creating/developing an action adventure "Isometric" style game?

28. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Thank you, you're welcome!

Adventure Creator takes the approach of making custom integrations much more possible/easier, rather than direct integration for a few select assets (which could break every time a 3rd-party asset gets updated).

Have a look at this tutorial on creating a custom motion controller - though it covers a different asset, the principle is what's important. With the latest release, you also have another practical example by way of the new "Nav Mesh Agent Integration" script, which allows an AC character to be controlled with a NavMeshAgent component instead.

29. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Its a pleasure Chris! Thank you for taking the time. I will definitely check out your link and the Nav Mesh Agent Integration. I'm very excited to start working on the project again! Cheers

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  30. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi Everyone! I'm amazed everytime I check out the updates with AC :) I had a question for the community: does anyone have an example project that uses the UFPS and AC integration? I'd be keen to have a look esp. if the game has been released. :)

31. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Have a look on the showcase forum. I'm not sure if anything's released yet, but think there are one or two in development.

Eyehawk likes this.
  32. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

v1.51 brings event listeners, a dedicated music system, pause-able ActionLists and more:

Upgrade notes
    • The “InputMousePositionDelegate” input delegate now takes the cursor’s locked state as a bool parameter
    • The GameEngine and Persistent prefabs have been updated and must be re-imported

ActionLists
    • Added: Action comments - When using the ActionList Editor window, a comment box can be shown and edited on each Action
    • Added: “ActionList: Pause or resume” Action - use to pause an ActionList and resume it at a later time
    • Added: “ActionList: Set parameter” Action - use to set the value of a single parameter in an ActionList as opposed to all
    • Added: If a scene-based ActionList uses an ActionList asset as it’s Source, the “ActionList Editor” and “Run” buttons are now shown in the Inspector
    • Added: UI improvements to the “Character: Animate” and “Object: Animate” Actions
    • Added: Ability to change the scene’s “On variable change” Cutscene with the “Engine: Change scene setting” Action
    • Added: When using “ActionList: Run” to run an ActionList with parameters, setting the parameter values is optional
    • Added: Warning if the “ActionList: Run” Action is used to run the ActionList the Action is placed in
    • Fixed: Nodes in the ActionList Editor window not tinting properly in Unity 5.3
    • Fixed: Error message in Console when manually running an ActionList in Unity 5.3
    • Fixed: Editor problems if an inappropriate script file is placed in an Actions folder - a descriptive error is instead shown in the Console
    • Fixed: Time not unfreezing when running ActionLists set to “Unfreeze pause menus”

Sound
    • Added: “Music: Play music” Action - use to play and queue music track easily across scenes
    • Added: The 'Remember Sound' component now records the current fading effect of a Sound
    • Added: The 'Sound: Change volume' Action can now be used to change a Sound's volume over time
    • Added: “Wait until finish” option to the “Sound: Play” Action
    • Fixed: Sounds not fading when the game is paused even if 'Play when paused?' is checked

Speech
    • Added: Rich text tags can be used in scrolling speech text
    • Added: Ability to limit Menus set to appear When Speech Plays to only show when specified characters speak
    • Added: Speech-skipping features will now react to any input named “SkipSpeech”, as well as mouse clicks
    • Added: Ability to set a minimum display duration for speech lines
    • Added: Option to fallback to speech audio and lipsync files in the original language if a translation has no such files
    • Added: Speech ID-merging feature is now available if “Auto-name speech audio files?” option is disabled
    • Changed: If carriage returns separate speech lines, the delay between lines can now be zero seconds
    • Fixed: Manually-assigned Audio clips and Lipsync files becoming unassigned after clicking “Gather text” in the Speech Manager
    • Fixed: “Dialogue: Play speech” Action not always showing full UI under certain circumstances
    • Fixed: Display issues with game text listed in the Speech Manager
    • Fixed: “Dialogue: Play speech” Actions that have multiple line IDs not showing them all in the Action’s UI
    • Fixed: Translation lipsync files placed in subfolders not being read from correct directory
    • Fixed: Speech ID-merging feature not working fully in Unity 5.3

Script sheets
    • Added: Ability to create and assign 'Speech tags' to ActionLists that store speech, for further filtering options in the Speech Manager
    • Added: Ability to generate script sheets that are limited to lines spoken by a specific character, or lines tagged with a specific label
    • Fixed: Script sheets created for translations not showing the translations of lines in ActionList assets

Conversations
    • Added: Ability to trigger Conversation dialogue options with defined inputs, as well as numeric keys
    • Fixed: Conversations occasionally ending prematurely if 'Auto-play lone option?' is checked

Translations
    • Added: String and PopUp variables are now translatable
    • Added: Character names are now translatable
    • Fixed: Original scene not being reloaded after gathering text in the Speech Manager
    • Fixed: Issue when gathering text in games that have no player prefab defined
    • Fixed: Errors when importing translation files with text covering multiple lines in Windows

Interactions
    • Added: Ability to prevent Player head-turning to face individual Hotspots
    • Added: Option to not de-select inventory items when “unhandled” Interactions are run
    • Added: Ability to pass the Hotspot clicked on as a GameObject parameter to unhandled Inventory and Cursor interactions
    • Added: Ability to define an Interaction that runs whenever a PickUp object is picked up
    • Added: If the player clicks on a Hotspot in Choose Interaction Then Hotspot mode, they’ll walk to the Walk-to Marker (if defined)
    • Fixed: Hotspot states sometimes saving incorrectly when limited to a particular Camera
    • Fixed: Custom events defined in Highlight Inspector not working in Unity 5.3

Input
    • Added: Inputs defined in Active Inputs and Menus set to appear On Input Key are now included in the Settings Manager’s list of Available inputs
    • Changed: The “InputMousePositionDelegate” input delegate now takes the cursor’s locked state as a bool parameter
    • Fixed: Minor interaction UI issues

Characters
    • Added: Option to prevent direct-controlled player movement while Interaction Menus are on
    • Added: If the New Game Wizard is used to create 2D Player, then a Rigidbody2D component is added so that it can detect Triggers
    • Added: Characters animated with Sprites Unity can show a list of all expected standard animations in their Inspectors
    • Added: Ability to halt characters instantly when using the “Stop Moving” method of the “Character: Move” Action
    • Fixed: Issues with “Super accurate movement” option with Direct-controlled Players
    • Fixed: Player prefab not always loading into the scene if is modified in the Editor in Unity 5.3
    • Fixed: Jumping animations for Mecanim-based players not playing correctly when walking or running

Pathfinding
    • Added: Performance improvements to 2D pathfinding if 'Character evasion' is set to 'None'
    • Added: Accuracy slider to 2D NavMeshes - lower to improve performance (good for mobile)
    • Added: Spherical Gizmo at Character roots to visualise the range of the “Destination accuracy” setting
    • Added: “is2D” variable to NavigationEngine ScriptableObject, to allow custom navigation scripts to work in Unity 2D mode

Menus
    • Added: Ability for Menus to only appear during cutscenes
    • Added: Option for Menus to be clickable during cutscenes, depending on their "Appear type" setting
    • Added: Ability for Unity UI-based Button and Interaction elements to respond to PointerDown event instead of PointerClick
    • Added: Adventure Creator-sourced Menus are now automatically resized if the game’s resolution is changed
    • Fixed: Minor issues when copying Menus and Menu Elements
    • Fixed: Incorrect instructions in Manual regarding animated Unity UI-based Menus
    • Fixed: Issues when clicking on empty slots in InventoryBox elements that are limited by inventory item category
    • Fixed: Sliders set to hold discrete values not being able to reach the maximum value possible

Journals
    • Added: Ability to choose the index at which a new Journal page is added when using the "Menu: Change state" Action
    • Added: Ability to remove a page from a Journal with the "Menu: Change state" Action

Save system
    • Added: Remember Animator save script - attach to Animator components to record their state in save games (Unity 5 only)
    • Added: The Remember Visibility component can be made to save a Sprite Renderer’s colour and alpha
    • Added: Ability to check if a save slot is empty with the “Save: Check” Action
    • Fixed: Unity UI-based Menus being included in save game screenshots

Cursor
    • Fixed: Main cursor showing under rare circumstances even if “Replace mouse cursor?” is checked
    • Fixed: Minor issues with Hardware Cursor rendering

Variables
    • Added: The “Variable: Copy” Action can now be used to transfer a Integer variable’s value to a PopUp variable and vice versa
    • Fixed: Changes made to local variables not always saving in Unity 5.3

API
    • Added: EventManager component - Contains static events that get called when common tasks occur, such as when speech plays
    • Added: Public function to PlayerCursor script to read the currently-assigned cursor texture
    • Added: Public functions to Hotspot script that trigger Use, Examine and Inventory interactions manually
    • Added: Public functions to MainCamera script to set and release the camera’s focal point in screen-space
    • Added: The AdvGame.RunActionListAsset function can be used to set the value of any integer-based parameter
    • Added: SceneChanger.LoadPreviousScene function

Camera
    • Added: Ability to choose which Layers are used to detect wall collisions on a Third-Person GameCamera
    • Fixed: Errors when using a GameCameraThirdPerson with no Target set

Other
    • Added: When a ManagerPackage file is used to mass-assign Manager assets, the number of assets assign is logged in the Console
    • Added: Script variables and functions listed in Section 12.7 of the Manual are now hyperlinked to their Scripting Guide counterparts
    • Added: The help icons above Inspector components now link to their entries in the Scripting Guide (Unity 5.1 and above)
    • Added: Section to manual covering how to import Adventure Creator minimally
    • Added: “About” toolbar item to show current version installed
    • Added: Save scripts to Component menu
    • Changed: The "Wait cursor" has been renamed to "Cutscene cursor", but serves the same purpose
    • Fixed: Duplicate Sound objects appearing in the same scene under rare circumstances
    • Fixed: Error with Moveable: Check track position Actions that use the “Equal to” condition

33. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Chris, it's great!
    I saw on your Official News forum some words about building to WebGL. Which platforms are supported by AC now?

34. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

PC / Mac (but not Windows Store)
    iOS
    Android
    WebGL
    Unity Webplayer

35. Alex-3D

Alex-3D

Are there any restrictions for some of this platforms (using of custom actions, action list assets and so on)?

36. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Only minor - the Actions/Managers will flag up any differences you need to be aware of. I believe custom Actions can't be added when building to web, but once done so in e.g. Desktop you can then switch back to web and make use of them.

37. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Hey all.
    While I wait to get approval on AC's official forum, I thought I'd post here too.

I'm on the verge of hitting the buy button, but being a newbie who's burned quite a bit of money on one specific area on the asset store (for non working solutions for me) in VR input, I thought it best to ask:
    • Does AC use a world space cursor system? (Note I've been reading on the need for worldspace canvas etc for VR) so that the cursor will be seen in depth and not just on the screen surface?

• Is there a gaze to select / drag a game object implemented for VR? if not, will it work with assets such as "world space cursor" (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/27022) or World mouse etc?

• Does AC have a straightforward system that allows people using the Oculus Rift and Gear VR to use a mouse/gamepad and interact with objects via unity;s built in VR system.

• Does it support the GearVR for input? - I hear the gearvr side trackpad emulates the mouse, but here's where I've spent money on the asset store and never found a working solution that lets u use the trackpad to move and a gaze system to select / activate objects.

• Is there a facility that will let people "download" to their phones (under android) and to their PCs ... say a PDF or Mp3 file? - I want to make a book downloadable in the game, if a user walks to a 'bookshelf' or if they pick a CD lying on a table.
    Hoping these questions can be answered as it will help me convert my current Vr project (a VR graphic novel) to an interactive one.

38. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'm just replying as an Adventure Creator user working on a VR game. I also maintain the Dialogue System for Unity's AC integration package.

AC doesn't use a world space cursor, but it can work with standard Unity UI menus so you can use World Space Cursor or Unity's example gaze selector. AC's inventory drag-and-drop currently uses legacy Unity GUI, so you can't use that feature in VR without a little custom work.

Apart from inventory drag-and-drop, I haven't had any issues using AC interaction in VR.

Don't know.

To my knowledge, AC doesn't have anything like this built in, but it's very extensible. If you can script that operation, you can create an "action" script that AC can use without having to touch any AC source code.

39. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Thanks for the help answering, @TonyLi.

I'll bulk these questions together. No, AC currently has no oficial world space cursor option - however the input system is designed to be extensible to those familiar with (even quite simple) scripting. Custom delegates can be assigned that override all input checks - including the reading of the current mouse position. It's feasible that a custom delegate function could convert a world-space cursor position into the 2D screen-space cursor position that AC requires - this tutorial covers the principles in overriding input.

AC's VR support is currently quite limited - with no platform-specific features. The main "VR feature" that AC has is a dedicated VR camera prefab (see Section 4.8 of the downloadable Manual), which allows AC's camera to work as normal but with the added ability of being able to be rotated by another system at the same time. This other system would be your VR camera script, in this case - but again, any platform-specific code would have to come from yourself.

AC focuses on features that are considered standard within adventure games, so this would only be possible through the use of a separate script or asset. As @TonyLi points out, custom Actions can be written to do what you wish, and can be inserted as part of regular AC Interactions and Cutscenes. However, the existing Actions also allow you to trigger functions within existing scripts placed on GameObjects, so if you have a separate script that has a function to e.g. download a PDF, you could use the Object: Call event Action to trigger it without the need for a custom Action. However, please bear in mind that the nature and working of this function will not be down to AC itself.

40. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Thank you, @TonyLi and @ChrisIceBox for taking time to reply. While I have my heart set on using AC, I think being a complete newb in scripting, I'll have to wait it out for this project. I did see all of the excellent 3 1/2 hr tutorial you did, Chris, and it convinced me, AC is the right choice for the project, but being able to navigate in VR and interact is one of the root needs.

As a suggestion, I'm hoping AC get's this feature, seeing how VR is a desirable space to be in right now -
    • Easy navigation and "gaze-to-select" input for Oculus/Vive/GearVR (cardboard too)
    There are detailed and cool examples from unity itself via their VR samples assets
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality/interaction-vr?playlist=22946

and I did have fun playing around with the examples, but I think it will be a little while, before I can actually wrap my head around how to intergrate / call the gaze-to-interact functions within AC.

I especially liked the feature of the cursor reticle conforming to the 'normals' of the objects in 3D space.
    If these scripts were interfaced within AC.. wow. Do keep it on your ToDo list, Chris!

The project I am working on is to try and convert my VR graphic novel https://www.vrideo.com/watch/Zndcocm (currently video based) into an interactive one. Some of the easter-eggs I'd thought of, were getting 'assets' from the VR world into the real world, hence if someone walked around the bedroom tp a bookshelf, while that cutscene was playing, they'd be able to download a real pdf/epub of the novel on the bookshelf. Or- pick a CD from a coffeetable and have the song on their phone (I have rights to the song)

Thank you for the clear answers again.
    Best Regards.

Hormic likes this.
  41. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I am in the process of laying out the approach to my point and click game. I want it to be like the video here.

My question is how would AC handle the scene/scene transitions it seems like overkill to have each scene put into the build area. Also how would AC handle a dissolve between the scenes? I am hoping to use Ps2d to split out layers. Would this work..with AC.
    Is AC the right option.

42. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

AC does not need a player-character on-screen, so yes - you can make static first person games like the one above. It's up to you if you want to have each screen in a separate Unity scene or not - you can crossfade between two cameras in the same scene (by using the Camera: Crossfade Action), or by adding an overlay when using the Engine: Change scene Action and using a Camera: Fade in Action in the next scene to fade in from the overlay.

As for file type, AC works with the same graphic file formats Unity supports. If you want to see if your format is supported, you can download Unity Free and try it out - I would recommend being at least a little familiar with Unity itself before using AC.

pixelsteam likes this.
  43. Goldrake

Goldrake

44. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Looks fantastic!

45. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

So, I'm working with Cinema Director, since I figured my project is a story and I could just use a couple scripts for rudimentary point and click (to read a book say, or turn on a TV)... but now I'm not satisfied after re(!)watching Chris's 3 1/2 hr video and seeing the potential of things like random interaction possibilities (like an NPC saying different things from an array of responses etc)...

I'd not done thorough research before and have ended up with a lot of assets that have fallen short on promises, but yeah, none have been as thorough or solid in support and functions as AC.
    Can anyone who's working with AC in VR let me know the following please:
    - Will the cursor be seen in newer versions of AC in Unity's VR mode? (Ive been reading on forums that VR is not officially supported yet)
    - Will AC compile to Samsung GearVR? this is important as that's my target mainstream VR platform.

Thanks!

46. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

It's true that AC does not support any one specific VR platform - instead the approach is to empower the user with the tools to integrate their game with the platform of their choice. You can replace the default MainCamera prefab with the MainCameraVR prefab (/Assets/AdventureCreator/Prefabs/Camera) to allow player head rotation to act independently of controlled AC-camera movements.

As for the cursor, the latest version of AC comes with an included "World Space Cursor Example" script (in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static). When attached to a GameObject, the object's position will act as a 3D cursor. The script will move this object with the mouse (or in the centre of the screen if the cursor is locked), but as the name implies it's just an example - it's commented throughout so that it can be amended and adapted to better suit your own needs.

47. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

Great asset, Chris. Amazing tool set. The more I work with AC the more I'm liking it.

48. magique

magique

With the sale going on I think I will finally pick this up and give it a try. However, I have a question after watching some of the tutorial video. I see that you explain how to add colliders to a scene and they end up being under the Navigation hierarchy and you can toggle their visibility in the AC editor. This made me wonder about general collision techniques normally employed in games. Objects generally have box, capsule, or mesh colliders on them already. Is there some reason AC wants colliders to be in a Navigation hierarchy? Is it unable to deal with colliders in the normal way? What if a scene consists entirely of objects with their own colliders and there is nothing under the navigation hierarchy?

49. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Not at all - AC provides you with quick-buttons to create collisions purely out of convenience. The "CollisionCube" prefab is purely a box collider with a script that allows its visibilty to be changed within the editor, and the Navigation "scene folder" is also only there for convenience. If you wish to instead rely on e.g. mesh colliders, you can - and you can also do without scene folders entirely. Also know that wall colliders are generally only needed if your game uses direct (i.e. keyboard/controller) control - under point-and-click control, the player will only move on the NavMesh.

magique likes this.
  50. ChrisIceBox

ChrisIceBox

Madness sale - $39 for 11 days!

As part of Unity's Madness promotion, AC is now on sale at the reduced price of $39 (+VAT) until September 2nd. If you've been dreaming of that grand adventure game you've always wanted to make, now's the time!