Search Unity

AdVenture Capitalist launched in WebGL

Discussion in 'Web' started by heroichippo1, Dec 1, 2015.

1. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

Hey everyone,

I'm excited to tell you all that we were able to get AdVenture Capitalist Live in WebGL! If you are interested in checking it out, the game can be played at https://apps.facebook.com/adventurecapitalist.

This couldn't have been made possible without the help of the friendly people on this forum; Unity developers such as @jonas echterhoff & @Marco Trivellato. If any of you have questions about WebGL implementation, please feel free to reach out to me.

We certainly ran into a few challenges along the way, so I’d be happy to share our learnings to see if they are applicable to your respective projects. WebGL is a great platform for getting your project out to a large audience through browser implementation, as long as it’s the right platform for what you are building.

Thanks again for your help with this!

- Brian @ Hyper Hippo Games

Marco-Trivellato likes this.
  2. Aieth

Aieth

Tried it a bit and found a bug ;)
    If you purchase a manager before purchasing the shop, it will not automatically start building up. It will after you manually hit the generate things button though.

3. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Nice. FYI, when I try to launch the game in Safari, I get a message that "Edge is not supported". Seems that the browser detection is not quite working correctly. Also, why would Edge not be supported?

4. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

hehe, well, the game loads and runs in edge, but the performance is abysmal, something like 1 frame per second and thus its a poor experience and we would rather direct people to Firefox and Chrome.

As for the message telling you "Edge isn't supported" I literally just threw together that oops message in the last 5 minutes of my day yesterday, so today i'll be updating the messaging to be a bit more generic.

5. kognito1

kognito1

Have you tried the latest version of Edge (November update)? It has asm.js enabled by default. I'm surprised though you got such poor performance with the old version of Edge. While it was definitely slower for us, it wasn't nearly to the point where we had to disable it.

6. sokki

sokki

I knew that your recent facebook problem was from a game i've played :) Welcome to the WebGL world, heroichippo :)

7. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

But my point was not that the game does not work in Edge, my point was that I'm on Safari, and the game won't run, telling me that "Edge is not supported" - so you are incorrectly detecting Safari to be Edge.

That said, as @kognito1 wrote, the latest Edge update enables asm.js by default, which actually makes it one of the fastest browsers to run Unity WebGL content in our benchmarks, so you should probably retest with that version.

8. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

Sorry about the confusion Jonas, it was properly detecting Safari, we just haven't had the capacity to do Safari testing yet since our internal QA has been busy with our mobile launches as well. We are only currently supporting allowing users to play in Firefox and Chrome until we have had a chance to verify that the other browsers are a good experience for our users.

We targeted those browsers first for business reasons, and until we can justify adding Safari and Edge and other WebGL capable browsers tot he list, we'd like to direct people to try and play the game in Firefox or Chrome for now.

The message you were seeing telling you "You are using Microsoft Edge and it's not supported" was just an error in the messaging and that was fixed yesterday.

9. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

As for the edge asm.js update, I was testing yesterday with my edge client and it still had really poor performance, do we know what version of the browser has this asm.js on by default so i can make sure i'm not testing with an old browser?

10. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

Also according to an article here http://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-you-need-to-know-about-windows-update-on-windows-10/

"Many of the included applications on Windows 10 — the Microsoft Edge browser and all those other “universal apps” — will be automatically updated through the Windows Store, which is separate from Windows Update."

Does that mean that users will get this asm.js by default update automatically? even if they have windows updates set to manual?

11. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

Wanted to let you guys know, as of today we enabled safari, though edge still doesn't have an optimal experience, game seems to lag whenever the user clicks anywhere in the ui and there are some other quality of life bugs we want to squash before we enable it for edge users.