Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advantage of building universal apps - or disadvantage of not doint so

Discussion in 'Windows' started by FlashMuller, Feb 9, 2015.

1. FlashMuller

FlashMuller

Hey guys,
    I started developint my game some time ago and am nearing completion. Until now I had Windows Phone (8.1) as my Reference Platform (and always built for Windows Phone in Unity, having switched from 8.0 to 8.1 later on in Visual Studio) and wanted to go for Windows Store, Android, and iOS later on in seperated steps.
    Now I learned (actually yesterday - yes, I have been living under a rock =) ) that I could also build Windows Universal Apps. "Switching" Platforms would be considerable work as I would have to rework some Plug-Ins, platform-specific stuff I coded outside from Unity etc. Plus it just feels "risky" to switch shortly before release having no experience in Universal Apps at all.
    That's why I'm asking myself what the advantages of using Universal Apps are? I don't really care for easier maintenance, it's rather simple stuff like:
    • Will I be able to use the same name for my game in the Windows Store as in the Windows Phone Store, if I don't upload my app as Universal App.
    • The only written advantage I found was that purchases on Windows Phone will also be avaiable in Windows Store Apps and vice versa. I don't really care for that feature (I have Phone and Store devices and didn't even know), but is there anything else?
    • In the store is a badge that shows, that the app is avaiable in both markets. Would it still be possible to gain that badge when uploading the packages seperatly?
    • Anything else?! =)
    Thanks for your help,
    Cheers!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes.

This feature is unrelated to Universal Apps as built in VS. When you upload an application to Windows Store or Windows Phone Store, and it sees an application with the same name on the "other" store, it asks you whether you want to link the applications together. If you say yes, once your users purchase application once, they can download it on both Windows and Windows Phone.

Yes, see above.

Generally, Windows Universal Applications biggest strength is unified API. That means that Windows Phone and Windows Store practically converge, becoming a single platform with almost no differences when it comes to development. It means that if you have your game on Windows Store, it will most likely "just work" as Windows Universal App.

FlashMuller likes this.
  3. FlashMuller

FlashMuller

Thank you very much for that information, everything answered =)
    If I may add: One of the biggest strength of Unity in terms of Window development is actually your support. I greatly appreciate the quick and good help you offer everywhere here in the forum!
    Cheers