Search Unity

Question Advanced searching tools inside Project Window?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Saeed-Barari, May 19, 2023.

1. Saeed-Barari

Saeed-Barari

Are there plans to add more advanced features to Project window's search? there are lots of little issues that stop us from efficiently find the asset we're looking for. for instance there's no support for adding custom tags on items for easier search later on. or when I hit ctrl+5 to focus on project window, it selects the top-most item, making it impossible to use in a real scenerio. or the lack of support for searching prefabs component types.

So, is there any plans for this? is this even the *correct* way of finding files anymore? or the new Search window is now for that stuff? I really hope Project window would get more love/update/features, but if Search window is the focus, then at least add advanced search functionalities please! :p for instance adding a compact layout option, or a *fast mode* search. Are these not implemented because of complexity, or just predicted that users won't use them?

Anyways, the Search is becoming better in every version and I appreciate the hard work. no complaints.

P.S. What is the Unity preferred way of doing advanced/efficient searches in complex projects?

2. sebastiengrenier

sebastiengrenier

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for the feedback! Those are all nice suggestions, and I'll make sure to send them to our designers.

For the Project Browser, you can also use the Search Window backend for more powerful searches, like searching by label. To change the backend search engine, open "Preferences/Search" and select Advanced as the Search engine for Project.
    upload_2023-6-6_16-36-36.png

Saeed-Barari likes this.
  3. Saeed-Barari

Saeed-Barari

Thanks Sebastiangrenier