Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Mesh Interaction - Make boring static meshes fun and interactive in VR

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DevDunk, Nov 27, 2023.

1. DevDunk

DevDunk

Have you gotten to a point where only grabbing objects is simply too boring?
    Give Advanced Mesh Interaction a try!

This toolkit allows you to make all your 3D models bendable and breakable, while keeping the interaction from the broken piece! This is done by doing fast mesh deformation and mesh slicing combined with an VR interaction layer.

Break your way through wooden planks, break off a tree branch while being chased in a horror game, or simply give players some freedom to break some sh*t!

All optimized to be under 0.1ms on the main thread on PCVR, while bending a mesh with 80k vertices! Standalone (quest 2) being under 0.6ms for the same vertex amount, or 0.2ms with 30k vertices!

For any questions/feedback/ideas reply here or send me a message on social media!

Download it here with 30% off (demo downloads in the description):
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/advanced-mesh-interaction-258746

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  2. mgear

mgear

instant buy, looks really fun system!

what would you suggest if want to sync those interactions in multiplayer?
    (doesn't necessarily have to be 100% exact, just similar enough)

3. DevDunk

DevDunk

Thanks!
    If you have any feedback let me know!

Multiplayer is tricky as always. Especially since there are 2 new meshes made when the object breaks.

You could send the meshdata to all clients and have the mesh built on the other clients' side, or just run the full simulation on all clients (higher CPU usage, but maybe easier integration?)

Sadly multiplayer is not my expertise, but I'd love to find a solution to it as well. Feel free to send me a DM on here/discord/socials if you want me to look at it with you.

4. mgear

mgear

yup, i'll write comments here after testing!

btw. some Burst errors in 2022.3.7f1 unity, will test on regular unity lts version soon.

Also for the demo scenes, would be nice if there is ready to play example scenes,
    now it doesn't seem to have player/camera there?

DevDunk likes this.
  5. DevDunk

DevDunk

Good to know, I'll test 2022LTS more tomorrow in that case. I know it worked in v1, but I did not retest it on v1.1

And that's correct, the main focus right now is VR interaction, so you have to import the XRIT or VRIF (more to come later) integration first. Then the scenes should not have any issues

mgear likes this.
  6. DevDunk

DevDunk

For me 2022.3.14 works well with the latest Burst and Collections versions. There were some warnings, which can be ignored (it is because 2021 uses an older collections version).
    There were some minor fixes pushed to the asset, which will land in v1.1.2 (waiting for approval from Unity)
    Mostly with the VRIF integration and documentation, nothing breaking

7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Currently 50% off!