Search Unity

Advanced lighting? Where are the shadows?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by techbinge, Dec 4, 2006.

1. techbinge

techbinge

Am I missing something w/ the lighting attributes? I don't see any option for adjusting the brightness of a light. As well, how do I go about turning on shadows?

2. techbinge

techbinge

So after looking at the FPS tutorial files, its seems the engine inst doing shadows. I know I have seen a blog shadow script somewhere. I'm just really really hoping the engine supports real-time shadows, or even baked shadows at that.

Anybody?

3. techbinge

techbinge

4. Marble

Marble

I believe those are lightmapped textures.

If you have Unity Pro, Aras has written a shader that will project shadows using Render to Texture. Otherwise, you've got to make do with blob shadows until an upcoming version of Unity that supports a more advanced variety is released (no earlier than 2.0, I expect).

5. NCarter

NCarter

To answer your other question, a light's brightness is controlled by its colour. Set the colour closer to black to make it less bright.

6. techbinge

techbinge

where can I find info about blob shadows? And how can an engine support pixel shaders but not real shadows??!

7. Morgan

Morgan

Blob shadow is in the Standard Assets. I always start from that and then tweak.

Parenting the shadow to the character is a start, but if the character rotates then you're better off not doing that. Instead, write a script that makes the blob projector follow the character's XYZ.

8. techbinge

techbinge

how do I go about using the blob-shadow? Is this something that has to be attached to everything that should cast a shadow?

9. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Actually Unity's flexibility (and ability to write your own pixel shaders), does open up a lot of possibilities. Aras created this:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2562

(there's a link to the wiki in this post, where the code is stored)

d.