Search Unity

Advanced Inventory System Version 3 - Complete Rebuild

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by slkjdfv, Dec 19, 2012.

1. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Update!!!
    I'm waiting for it to get approval on the asset store. It's now available on my webstore heres the assets and assetstore link : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/166015-Advanced-Inventory-System-Version-3
    webstore link : http://http://digitaleggstudios.webs.com/store.htm

Tech Video is up on youtube now. Link -

Update!!! - Shops are finished and working including their editor. So the system is essentially finished, now it's just some minor tweaking and It's ready for sale.

Hello every one, this is something I've been working on for about 6 months now and it's almost complete. It's a complete re-build of my old Advanced Inventory System Version 2. This new version is still written in C# but is more flexible then version 2 and has way fewer bugs along with a new layout and some new features to the system. Here's a video link enjoy (Moree detainls at bottom of this post) :

I will be adding some item prefabs and example scripts along with a detailed read-me PDF upon its release. Thanks for watching and as always comments welcome.

Update Video 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJRrI5CMp4

Update Video 3 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrITFt6RkFU

Update Video 4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_xp-VBVH8s

In this system the user is not required to d much of any thing. This system has an Item database editor where you can create and edit items. Then by pressing the 'Create Prefab' button within the editor it will create a ready to use prefab that you can just drag into your scene and use straight away. There is very little setup required. You only need to setup one tag, drag the Master Controller prefab into your scene assign it the tag, and add your player into the scene making sure he's tagged Player and your good to go.

Features this system will have-
    >Simple user friendly interface
    >Modular inventory system(I'll explain this more in the tech video)
    >Crafting system example
    >Merchant System Example
    >Chest Example
    >Item bag Example

Bug fixes -
    > The bag window no longer drops the FPS to near 0;

Bugs List-
    >None so far...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Hey update I changed the look of the editor heres a peak :

Now you only see one item at a time when editing them.

3. madmike6537

madmike6537

I have your old inventory system and its pretty good but its one of the earlier versions so its fairly basic. Looking forward to the release of this one. If its priced right I might just buy it and forget making my own because its taking forever :D

4. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Thank you for your input. I plan to sell this version for around $45 to $60 with the amount of work that's gone into it.

5. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Just added in mouse dragging to the system. Still no luck on container items, I really want to have it working before it's release. All that's left to do is some minor bugs and item containers. After the system is complete I will start making the Instruction PDF file then its onto releasing it.

6. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Hello more updates for you, I added tool tips to some of the items in the editor. I also added some new buttons I wanted to go over with for all of you. Now starting from the left in the pic below - It's a different icon but it's the same as what you saw in the video as far as function goes - this opens up a window with which you can create and edit your items. The second button will completely delete your item database and the backup (but only if you want it to). The next button saves your database into the backup this is in case something happens and you need something to fall back to without having to start from scratch again, also as of right now you an only have one backup allowed. The second to last button will restore your database to the saved backup. And the last button is only for me for debugging purposes, it just shows a debug log telling me how many items are contained inside the backup.

7. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Second update video :D. Sorry for the crappy audio.

8. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Update Video 3 Enjoy :D

9. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

These bags are proving to be quite annoying to code, I can't seem to get them to work right. Might leave what code I have in and release the system with it not working and add it in later. I still need to code in merchants, chests, and a crafting system. Every thing else is in place.

10. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Okay so I got bags to work... but there's an issue, when I open the bag the fps drops from 67 to 2. So now I need to find the leak then YAY bags :D. By the way what are your thoughts so far on the system, please let me know if you have any questions.

11. madmike6537

madmike6537

How are you handling the bags- using OnGUI or a 2D gameobject? I hear OnGUI and buttons can take up a lot of power.

Can you explain what type of crafting system you are going for? I am looking into adding crafting into my game. Havent had a chance to watch the above vids so I apologize if you explained it in there.

12. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

@madMike - I'm not using buttons to display Items, I'm using GUI.box to handle inventories. As for bags I'm using coroutines and a scriptable object. I am still using OnGUI but I plan on converting to GUITexture in a later update. The crafting system I plan on designing is different from version 2's crafting system as it requires no item dragging, it displays a list of items that can be crafted and highlights the ones you can't in red. When you click on one that's craftable it becomes highlighted and after that you just press craft button it then removes the items needed from the players inventory and adds the crafted item to the players inventory. This will allow the game creator to make a crafting recipe as long or as short as they want. Thank you for your question.

Also I have an update for you all. Item bags are fixed and no longer drop the frame rate. Also I added a new button to the item database editor called "Build all" which turns all your items into prefabs, this way you don't have to go through each object one by one creating prefabs.

13. Rukey4

Rukey4

I used the earlier version of this system and it worked as intended, but after watching these videos looks like an unbelievable step in making it easier for people to understand. I'm not a big programmer, but I'm very excited to start using the new system!

Only pointer I would say... Is... :p Buy a better microphone?

14. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Yea I need a new mic lol. Crafting is almost completed just working on the editor now. Then It's onto the chests.

15. zephren

zephren

I would love a grid or tile based inventory system.

it is important to my game that each bag only carry a certain amount and that amount will be effected by the size of the object.

would you be implementing this option. much like the resident evil inventory system?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9zdPFHQF0

16. Rukey4

Rukey4

The only gripe I have at the minute, like before is the fact that I like tidiness! :p When I import the package there are folders imported everywhere. Is there anyway I or you could have a main directory folder (Just so it's all neat and tidy?) Before I'm sure if I added it into a main folder some scripts didn't like it.

Example:

Advanced Inventory System 3
    -folder
    -folder
    -folder

17. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I will see how the system functions with its own folder.

18. Rukey4

Rukey4

That would be the icing on the cake!

19. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

20. Rukey4

Rukey4

I've just been using the system and its been working great but I'd say a meaningful addition would be if an "Examine" button on the list of "consume / drop / cancel". A description input box could be added to the item database? When you click "Examine" the string from the description box appears on GUI? Or something?

Is this possible? :eek:

21. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

@Rukey4 -
    Yes what you ask is possible. But understand that the Player inventory script isn't a must have script, people can create their own player inventory script if they want as long as it inherits from ais_InventorySystem. PlayerInvneotry inherits from ais_InventorySystem as I explained in video 4. But yea I can add an item description to the item creation screen.

22. pspkid17

pspkid17

Hey Digital I Pm'd you :D

23. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

My inbox says empty... that's odd. I'll pm you and you can try replying to that. Sorry I didn't get your message.

Also update for all of you -

Bug Fixes -
    • Major bug fix to bag items. They gave an error upon trying to open them and would not work.

Updates -
    • Crafting system is finished and working
      • Crafting recipes can be any length you want just keep in mind not to go over the make items in your list.
      • When an item recipe is craft-able the box around it will be green other wise it will be red and grayed out
    • Chests are working but not finished(see planned updates)
    • Changed item types to an int using a string array instead of just an enum. This allows users to make their own item types.
    • Added an item type editor to ais_database setting editor
    • Item prefab creation now properly assigns the item_prefab variable
    • Added a new menu item under GameObject/Create Other called A.I.S. which has an option there to automaticly place the master controller prefab into your scene
    Known bugs / glitches -
    When you change the master controller object in scene view you need to hit apply or you'll get errors when you run the game.
    Planned Updates -
    • Chests
      • Another chest script will be added with a lock feature requiring a key to open it
      • There will be an option to set starting items to the chests
    • Auto apply for the master controller object (if I can...)
    More Later...

24. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Shops are now finished and working I just need to write the editor for it, I also added in item descriptions and tooltips in the inventories and items. After that I just need to make models, textures and write the documentation and it's finished :D. Expect another video in the next couple days.

25. digiross

digiross

This is very interesting indeed! I've been trying to find a good inventory system solution that was robust and easy to use, this is looking great! I will be following this closely for my future needs. Keep up the good work!

26. digiross

digiross

Also, any any idea when it will be up on the asset store and price?

27. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

@digiross -
    The price of the system will be $65. I'm planning to have it finished before the end of the month. I'm not sure if I will put it on the asset store as I don't get to keep all the profits and I don't get the money immediately. I've been selling my products in my store on my website.

28. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Update!!! - Shops are finished and working including their editor. So the system is essentially finished, now it's just some minor tweaking and It's ready for sale.

29. digiross

digiross

Honestly, a lot of Unity users won't make purchases outside of the asset store. Better integration, updates, and quality control for approval, so there is some security there. I'd rather see you put it on the Asset Store and raise the price a little if that's your concern.

Anyways, good looking project.

30. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Thank you for your input and if I do put it on there The price will go up. So here's the pricing if you buy it off my website you pay $65 if you buy it on the asset store it will be $85. I'm just working on some prefabs and models to help people get started and the documentation then it's finished. So expect a video very soon. My planned release date has been moved up from the end of the month to 1-12-13.

31. digiross

digiross

Sounds good!

32. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Tech Video is up on youtube now. Link -

33. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Okay I'm waiting for it to get approval on the asset store. I will also be uploading it to my website in a minute.