Search Unity

advanced inventory system/example

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slkjdfv, May 27, 2011.

1. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Version 1 is 100% but only for now, once version 2 is released i will most likely sell it cause i'm putting lots of work into this system and only 1 person has donated. Theres almost no motivation to keep it free I've spent about a total of 300+ hours on version 1 and about 200 some odd hours on version 2 and I still have lots of things to do to it . I don't care if people donated $5 or whatever but its not happening. So if i decide to sell version 2 then version one wont be a commercial free licence you'll need to pay to use version 1 if your selling your game. Version 2 will be sold for $15 to $20US. So thats the way its going to be I'm sorry for any inconvenience this is for people but thats the way it is. The beta for version 2 will be sold via PM when its ready(I will notify people) for $10(Beta will be fully functioning except for the merchant and one or 2 other very small things). And again version 2 will be more optimized and have more features for those of you who are wondering. Its also alot easier to use and setup. I will release youtube tutorials for it as well. :) Thanks again. ^_^ and hope this clarifies any questions OH! and before I forget hers the link to my post about version 2 in the gossip page if any one has any features they'd like to see in version 2 Link - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/92...y-system-example-2-Ideas-and-feature-requests

2. CursedOne

CursedOne

If I had the money I would donate more than $5.
    And awh I was looking forward to v2 :(

3. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

As I stated I'm sorry for the Inconvenience this may cause people. This is the only thing holding me up untill I can get another job lol so It's either sell systems that help people or live in the street XD. Theres nothing more then I want in the world but to keep this free forever but I can't I'm sorry. And I'n case I didn' t mention before Those who PM me about buying the beta of Version 2 will get the finished product for free. Those who do buy beta are required to give me feed back with how the system is and whats easy to understand and whats not and so forth. So when beta is ready I'll let you all know. Also if any one wants to help me finish version 2 I need coders and modelers/animators. Those who help will also get version 2 for free. Why do I need coders and modelers? Well I need the coders to help me optimize my code and to do some more advanced features I'm unaware of how to do. As for the modelers I need them to make models for the example like a merchant, weapons, and so forth. I'll also need people to draw the items for the inventory. Any one interested please PM me or if you have questions.

4. Mirace

Mirace

So in future if i buy version 2, i will get free updates on future and i can use it on commercial work and not needed to pay any royalties? If so im in :)

5. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

yes once you buy version 2 all future updates are free and you can use it in commercial games just one fee is all it takes ^_^.

6. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

7. MrRudak

MrRudak

Nice stuff

8. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

UPDATE NOTES ::
    I finished getting the chests functional as well as the ability to drag items around the inventory. you can toggle this on or off. I also re-re-coded the way the windows align to the inventory. They now align perfectly with out error no matter what the settings. I'm working on the merchants either tonight or tomorrow. After that I'm going to work on some bugs then code the crafting after that It'll be pretty much ready for release. I just need to get the models, textures and Icons from the people doing those for me. Also if theres any coders who want to help out send me a PM you will be rewarded with a free copy for your help.

9. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Im keen for a free copy! I can do anything from model, texutre to script though I am far better at modeling and texturing that the other.
    You have pretty much programmed everything I need haha.

10. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I PM'd you

11. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

12. Regularry

Regularry

Looks interesting. I hope you finish it and put it up for sale. Being in C# will set your system apart from the others which all seem to be in Javascript.

13. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Thanks and yea personally I like C# a whole lot better then java and if Unity would let me I'd do it in C++ lol. And don't worry version 2 will be finished and put up for sale I have 3 people helping me finish it.

14. JTeast23

JTeast23

How do I go about installing this Inventory?

15. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

you just add the unity package file to your project and unpackage it and your done. I'll be doing a tutorial series on how to use it for people as well to avoid any confusion. Just so you know I'm trying to make it as easy to use as possible :).

16. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

17. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

18. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

bump

Equipment system is completed and working.

19. tra2002

tra2002

Can not wait to see it :)

20. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

MAJOR UPDATE:: :)

Added a new feature you can now select whether you want the stats window to display inside the inventory, next to the icon currently highlighted OR not at all. I also changed the way the icons are drawn they are drawn as boxes now. Bbefore they were buttons being displayed as boxes. I had to add in this algorithm to find if the mouse is over the box or not but thats not that big of a deal it saves memory usage. I found with boxes it uses less memory to have 64(8x8 grid) boxes being drawn on screen then 64 buttons ^_^. The next video displaying these new features and others will be released tomorrow at some time I want to get a few more things done before I show another video. :) Thanks again for all your support and patiences.

-Slkjdfv
    Digital Egg Studios

21. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Reduced the amount of draw calls in the inventory and removed/moved things around to improve performance and stability.

22. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Nice Video Update! Looking forward to the next one.

23. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Thanks. I didn't get around to releasing the fourth video yesterday or today like I planned due to me working heavily on optimizing the system some more and fixing a few glitches I WILL be releasing a video tomorrow since I have some free time then.

24. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

25. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Just watched the new video. Looks amazing, really looking forward to experimenting with this.

Also Subscribed :)

26. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

cool glad to hear all the positive feed back and thanks :D

27. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

28. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

29. zine92

zine92

Thanks I am trying it out now. And i just watched your youtube video and i think it is too soft. :D but nevertheless i am going to try out now. I needed something like this.

30. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

yea the version 1.x series isn't clean and is hard to navigate and as you can see when you try it with version 2 the difference is astounding. :) version 2 is cleaner and much simpler to navigate and set up. Also people I just finished coding the merchant I'm fixing a couple bugs with it then I'm going to work on the crafting system I plan on releasing it by the end of the month/start of next month. AND I added a few more features next video coming soon look for it on my youtube channel :D.

31. ASchumacher

ASchumacher

This looks like a great package. I've just started with Unity and I'm still in the "What should I make" phase. Having packages like this make it easy to prototype ideas. If you stick to your suggested prices (which I hope you do), I'll definately pick this up. It is too useful to pass up.
    Thanks for all the hard work and keep it up.

32. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

l do plan on sticking with my suggested prices if I change any thing with prices the only thing I would change is adding a slightly higher price for commercial games. So if your making the game for free this package would be cheaper but if you wanted to use it in a game you'd be selling it would cost you slightly more. HOWEVER I'm not sure if I want to do that I think I'm just going to stick with the one price. And heres my plan for pricing when its released. For the first week I will sell it for $15 US as a promotional thing after that week it will go up to $20 US and stay at $20.

33. Lowlet

Lowlet

Thanks,it is very cool!

34. badsam97

badsam97

Whenever I try to craft something it says missingmethod 'inv2.AddItem'?

35. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I noticed that glitch in version the 1.x series as well and I PM'd you :)

36. unit97

unit97

It does not work on Mac:(

37. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

interesting what errors do you get? i don't have a mac so I can't play test it there

38. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Ok heres the update on whats going on the Merchant system is working but not for drag and drop. I'm already behind schedule so I'm just going to finish up with the crafting system and release this Inventory System out for sale. And don't worry about the merchant its still usable even with drag and drop enabled you just cant drag and drop, for the time being when your shopping the merchants menu will be treated as if drag and drop are disabled. When I can get drag and drop working for the merchant I will release an update for it. There are also a couple minor features that won't be implemented until a later update as well due to this project already being off schedule So just a recap the drag and drop feature works so far for every thing except for the merchant I'm still running tests on the crafting system so I can't say if its working for that at the moment or not. I'll keep you all updated but plan on this being released by the end of next week :D.

39. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

40. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

bump

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  41. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I'm going to release it next Thursday with out the crafting system if I can't get it done by then and add it in an update later. Now theres going to be 2 flavors for this system theres the standard version which is just the scripts that are needed to make it work and run. The second version is Plus which includes the scripts needed to make it work and run(obviously) and it will also come with prefabs, models, and textures to help get you started. The prefabs that will be in the Plus package is a System Controller prefab Container Prefab and a Merchant Prefab. Both versions will come with in depth tutorial videos on how to use the system. The standard version will be sold for $20 and the Plus version will be $25. On Thursday(next week) ONLY theres going to be a promotional sale, Standard will be sold at $15 and Plus will be sold at $20. The assets that come with the Plus version can be purchased for $10 separately like for example if you by the standard version then decide you wanted Plus. So if you buy Plus you save $5 as opposed to buying Standard then the assets..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  42. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

43. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

bump READ TOP OF FIRST PAGE THANKS :D

44. zine92

zine92

Saw your video and it looks pretty neat. And whats the reason for bumping? The top of first page is first post am i right? What do you need?

45. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

I update the first post with new information and people usually skip past it to the last page so I wanted to make sure they're reading my updates :). And thanks I'm glad you like it.

46. CursedOne

CursedOne

I remember when you said this would be free -.-

47. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

CursedOne I know i did, sorry about that but I can't afford to keep it free.

Here's an update for every one at the rate I'm going the crafting system SHOULD be ready for release with the system on thursday.

48. CursedOne

CursedOne

I wish I had enough for this :/

49. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

On the day of its release all versions will be on sale. for more information follow this link here.

50. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

Crafting System is 100% done. I'm working on the tech video displaying all the systems features tonight and I'll release the video tomorrow first thing in the morning. For now its bug fixes(so far none) and minor improvements to speed it up. Other then that the system is 100% finished.