Search Unity

Advanced Inventory System/Equipment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ExDeaDguY, Jul 12, 2010.

1. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i have buyed the one in Unityprefabs.com
    does the code you have posted works with it ?
    excuse me but im an artist with little of programing skill :(
    so in the equiping , i do the parnting in the modling program or in unity ?
    is using an item will destroy it from the scene ? and do i only use the line UseItem(i); ?

sorry to bother you thanks

2. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hi again! The Unity prefabs inventory and this 1 are completely different they are designed by me but using 2 different methods. this one takes advantage of unity built in "Window" function etc. while the other makes an on screen interface from scratch. Also: The Code I posted was a mere example of HOW it could be done. Not the way it has to be done. And the code was basically for understanding how to do it. you'd have to check for the right functions yourself and so on. Also: You'd have to make the UseItem function yourself and inside that function include "Destroy(itemthatwasused.gameObject);". If I were you I would suggest finding someone who can code and let them figure it out since this is fairly easy stuff for any advanced coder :)! But if your a beginner... I Cant just say "Put this in your code and ta-da" Since thats not how coding works. it needs to be configured with your specific game.

Edit: Btw. You parent it within unity.... so like, Instantiate a sword or whatever it is. and then parent it to your player. sword.transform.parent=this.transform, or whatever

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  3. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

ok i guess this is over me :)
    can you modify some things on it ? paid work ofc , its not that mutch i want to change , if you have some time let me know and i will send you the things i want .

4. Stan

Stan

Hi,good job!!!really nice
    I've got questions:
    How can I add weapon?Do I need another script,I know there is weapon slot ...
    How can I dropp Items?
    And in character sheet if I want use image of character in all window...
    Have you got some update fot it.I'll buy it.
    Stan

5. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey Stan. Thanks! I don't have any updates ready for it at the moment, Although adding a weapon that is actually "Usable" would require a fair bit of code. I wish I could help you out and work on it a bit more and make an update for you but recently I have been working 50+ hours a week at my job and don't have much time for anything anymore let alone coding :(. I'm even writing this from the macs at my work! Lol. Although I designed the code to be easy to understand and can be easily manipulated! I bet if you post in the collaboration section that you are willing to pay a coder to add some stuff onto your project for you they would be more than glad to and, It shouldn't take to long for them to figure out what does what with this inventory!

Sorry for the let down but I'm glad you enjoy the inventory! :). Maybe in the future if I come across a break in my schedule I will try to whip some more code into this project! (No promises!) :p

6. Mauri

Mauri

I dont really get it how it works. :(

Btw nice music (my fav ^_^)

7. surfy1h

surfy1h

hey Xeno,

I have setup the character parenting every bone the same, so far that works, however if i make some new boots and set it up as an item
    the boots dont follow the characters walk animation. I have tried adding an walking animation. had no luck.

I am using 3dmax to edit the bipad, Could you please shed some light on the setup of boots.

8. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Make sure the skeleton used on the character is identical to the one used in the boots. You could probably export the skeleton and import it into the boots model. ALSO, Make sure the boots are rigged to the skeleton. The names of each bone have to be identical as well..

The way this works is when for example: The foot bone moves (According to the animation) the boots foot bone will be parented to the characters foot bone and copy the identical path of movement. If the boot is rigged to the boot skeleton, the boot should move along with the skeleton.

-Eddy

9. badsam97

badsam97

I own an old version of this system, partially because I haven't updated it and partially because I'm not able to purchase it online. When, in the game, I try to craft an item, the error 'add2inv not recognized' or something like that pops up.

10. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey Guys. Because this was bumped to the top of the forums I have been getting emails and private messages. Just wanted to put it out there that: This is no longer for sale. The site was pulled down and it just isn't in my interest any more to keep it selling. I made this when I was still very new to Unity and JS. It is coded neatly, I just haven't had the time to do much else with it. That being said... I am now going to release it for FREE.

I appreciate all the interest in this package and am happy to all those who bought it back when it was first released. If you like this and it has helped you out, feel free to drop me a line or leave a post with your experience! Best of luck on all of your projects! :).

As Unity Package:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6629353/AdvancedInventoryPackage.unitypackage

11. silentkill234

silentkill234

Hey, I need help with this, I am very new to unity. how do I go about placing the inventory on my character?

12. Hordaland

Hordaland

First of all I wanna say thanks, this inventory works really well. I have a question however. In my game you will sometimes lose an item if talking to someone or pressing something (like putting a gem into a statue to open a new section). So is there some simple way of calling the RemoveItem() from another object? Say the statue has a script similar to this:

Code (csharp):
    2. Function OnMouseDown()
    3. {
    4.     if(*player has gem in inventory*)
    5.     {
    6.         inventory.RemoveItem(itemname); <- This is the line I can't get to work
    7.        print("Gem removed");
    8.    }
    9. }
    I've tried many different ways but haven't gotten it to work.

13. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Its been a real long time since I have opened this project. But, I'm pretty sure it finds and removes objects via an item name. So as long as the refferenced item infact has the inventory script, and you are calling it with a name. It should work fine. So try something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. Function OnMouseDown()
    3. {
    4.     for(var gem:GameObject in invenory.contents){
    5.         if(gem.name == "GreenGem"){
    6.             inventory.RemoveItem(gem.name);
    7.         }
    8.     }
    9. }

I made this when I was first learning unity and have learned a lot better way to do inventorys. But this should work fine. The code is untested.

14. Hordaland

Hordaland

Thanks for the quick reply. Somehow the need to search through the inventory using a for-loop never occured to me. Works great now, though I think it calls the items using transform instead of name (at least that's what I had to do).
    This kind of inventory works great for my game so I'm really happy you took your time to share it with us. Big thanks!

15. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

No problem at all! Glad you got it to work. Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, Don't forget to add a break; in the for loop after it removes the item so it doesn't remove multiple of the item when it should remove only 1. :cool:

16. Airmand

Airmand

Im having some difficulty removing items when they are stacked.
    I added a
    Code (csharp):
    1. var isConsumable = false;
    to Item.js and checked it true in the inspector for all the potions.
    I also added an if statement to the Player.js under the function UseItem().
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(i.isConsumable){
    2.         var item : Item;
    3.         item = GetComponent(Item);
    4.                 if(i.name == "Potion") {
    5.                     t.i.stack-=1;
    6.                                                print("Im Healed");
    7.         }
    8.     }
    I get no errors up until i double click the potion stack in my inventory

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetProperty (System.Object target, System.String name)

I also tried it this way but recieved a different error

Code (csharp):
    1. if(i.isConsumable){
    3.         item = GetComponent(Item);
    4.             var playersinv : Inventory;
    5.             for (var t:Transform in playersinv.Contents) {
    6.                 if(t.name == "Potion") {
    7.                     t.i.stack-=1;
    8.                         print("Im Healed");
    9.                 }
    10.             //  }
    11.             //}
    12.         }
    13.     }
    however this is the error I get when i double click the potions while they're in the inventory when i use that section of code

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Player.UseItem (.Item i, Int32 slot, Boolean autoequip) (at Assets/zTanDanAssets/Demo/Scripts/Player.js:83)
    InventoryDisplayBag.DisplayInventoryWindow (Int32 windowID) (at Assets/zTanDanAssets/Demo/InventoryDisplay/BagStyle/InventoryDisplayBag.js:106)
    UnityEngine.GUI+_Window.Do ()
    UnityEngine.GUI.BeginWindows (Int32 skinMode, UnityEngine.IDList idlist, Int32 editorWindowInstanceID)

Any help would be appreciated.

17. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hi there, Im a bit confused with how you're trying to do it. I see you are getting the component "Item", but the player shouldn't have an item script attached. Also it looks like you already have a refference to the item because I see "i.whatever".

What the error means is one of the object variables you are using that is suppose to refference to an object is null, Its most likely the "i", or the "item". With GetComponent you want to call that on the Item itself, so it would be like "i.GetComponent(Item);". Also, make sure the i is set to the item.

18. Airmand

Airmand

Thank you i don't know what I was thinking there.

Code (csharp):
    1. if(i.isConsumable){
    3.         item = i.GetComponent(Item);
    4.                 if(item.name == "Potion") {
    5.                     item.stack-=1;
    6.                         print("Im Healed");
    7.         }
    8.     }

I also sent you an email concerning the Inventory SystemV2

19. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

In reply to V2: The difference between the 2 is V2 is a bit more refined. I probably put 3x more work into v2 then this one and it offers a resizeable inventory, drag-able icons (Click and hold). dropping items and equipment slots and so on. But it doesn't offer equipping armor and such physically to the player like this one does..

If you buy it, it's great for me because I get the $. But I'm not really sure if its an absolute need! With a bit of coding experience you could add onto this one and suit it for your needs and work just as well as that one. :p

So pretty much the biggest differences are v2 is more of a polished look and feel, while this one is more basic but has the armor equipment add-on :p.

Also: Did you see the preview for that one? http://gameprefabs.com/products/preview/95

20. Airmand

Airmand

The internet im currently using wont let me watch videos online. :/ And I couldnt tell through the webplayer if some of the same things V1 had V2 had as well. I just might get it. Im not far enough yet to determine if i will need it or not.

21. Berenger

Berenger

Hi !

So I tried your package and I have a question about the way you're animating the equipment parts. Once you've put them on, they all have their own Animation component and no bones. So here we go :

• Is their a way to have only one Animation component on the player's root transform, as they all share the same animation and bones, instead of having to tell each component to play the run, or the idle etc ?
    • How comes those cloths don't have bones as children ? Am I missing something ?

If someone else know the answers, be my guest !

22. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Actually.. The way it works is ONLY the player has an animation. The clothes have an animation component but it is empty and isnt really used. BUT the clothes do have the same skeleton as the player. The reason it appears it has no bones is because once the clothing item is equipped all of the bones are pulled out of the clothing and put into the player. For example: The head bone on the clothing item becomes parented to the head bone on the player, and so on. Because we do this, the clothing automatically follows the players animation and no animations on the clothing is played at all. Just need to make sure the clothing item has the same skeleton as the player and is weighted/rigged to the skeleton.

23. giltine528

giltine528

Can you post a tut how to use demo so we can try?And then buy ?

24. DaneC020

DaneC020

Why would you buy? He is giving it away free... Check the original post.

-Dane

25. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Yep, It's now free :p.

Its commented pretty well so should be easy to follow along.

26. iteis128

iteis128

Hey, I have been working on a game that required many different game objects to have their own inventory system that will stay with them. I have a script which holds a class with the vars needed and the functions from the Player, InventoryDisplayBag and Inventory scripts. I am trying to make it so that when you click on one ship, it will activate and therefore show that game objects inventory and character sheet. The main problem I am having is that when I try to attach inventory to the activated game object, it will always equip to the last game object I have made holding that script mentioned above. I am unsure of how I would check for which game object is active, but when I do figure that out, I'm almost positive that it has something to do with the addItem() function and the OnMouseDown() and MoveToPlayer() scripts:

Code (csharp):
    2. function AddItem(Item:Transform)
    4. {//Add an item to the inventory.
    8.     if (isActive)
    10.     {
    12.     var newContents=new Array(Contents);
    14.     newContents.Add(Item);
    16.     Debug.Log(Item.name+" Has been added to inventory on "+this);
    18.     Contents=newContents.ToBuiltin(Transform);// array to unity builtin array
    20.     }
    22. }
    25. function OnMouseDown()
    27. {//When you click an item
    29.     var getit=true;
    31.     //var playersinv=FindObjectOfType.;//finding the players inv. I suggest when making
    33.         //a game, you make a function that picks up an item within the player script. and then have the inventory
    35.         //referneced from its own variable. OR since the playerscript would be attached to the inv i suggest you
    37.         //do GetComponent(Inventory).AddItem, This way multiple players can have inventorys.
    41.     var item : Item;
    43.     item = GetComponent(Item);
    47.     Debug.Log("mouse click");
    49.         if(item.canGet){//if its getable or hasnt been gotten.
    51.             Debug.Log("can get");
    53.             if(item.stackable == true)
    55.             {
    57.             Debug.Log("stackable");
    59.                 var locatedit:Item;
    61.                 for(var t:Transform in Contents)
    63.                 {
    65.                     if(t.name==this.transform.name){//if the item we wanna stack this on has the same name
    67.                         var i:Item=t.GetComponent(Item);
    69.                         if(i.stack<i.maxStack)
    71.                         {
    73.                             locatedit=i;
    75.                         }
    77.                         if (i.stack>=GetComponent(Item).maxStack)
    79.                         {
    81.                             getit=false;
    83.                         }
    85.                     }
    87.                 }
    89.                 if(locatedit!=null){//if we have a stack to stack it to!
    91.                     getit=false;
    93.                     locatedit.stack+=1;
    95.                     Destroy(this.gameObject);
    97.                 }
    99.                 else{
    101.                     getit=true;
    103.                 }
    105.             }
    107.             if(getit){
    109.                 Contents.AddItem(this.transform);
    111.                 MoveMeToThePlayer(Contents.transform);//moves the object, to the player
    113.             }
    115.         }  
    119. }
    123. function MoveMeToThePlayer(theplayer:Transform)
    125. {//This will basically make the item stay where the player is
    127. //as long as its in the players inventory. This can also be done multiple ways, but ill stick with an easy one.
    131.         canGet=false;//now that we have it no need to be able to get it again.
    133.         transform.collider.isTrigger=true;//makes it undence.
    135.         var renderers=GetComponentsInChildren(Renderer);//get all the renderers in the object
    137.         for(var rend:Renderer in renderers){
    139.             rend.enabled=false;//turn off all renderers in this object.
    141.         }
    143.         if(transform.renderer!=null){
    145.             transform.renderer.enabled=false;//makes it invisible
    147.         }
    149.         transform.parent=theplayer;//makes the object parented to the player.
    151.         transform.localPosition=Vector3.zero;//now that the item is parented to the player
    153.         //i can set the localPosition to 0,0,0 and it will be ontop of the player. and move around with him/her
    157. }
    Does anyone have any idea of how to do what I am trying?

Thanks

27. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Hey I was going to take a look at yours before I wrote my own but I have a small question. Do you have any idea why I get the error "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object," when I first pop it in. I haven't done anything, all I did was import it and check for errors.

I know I'm trying to access something that is Null but I don't know what.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  28. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

After you put it on a gameobject you have to assign a few of the variables before testing it. Its most likely one of the texture2ds is not added so cannot draw it.

29. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

:-o Thanks man, I should of thought of that.

30. Likos1

Likos1

Sooooo can I use this for commercial purposes?

31. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Sure! Go for it, just post a reply on here with what you've made with it so I can see it in action. :p

32. Likos1

Likos1

I'm guessing this doesn't work with iOS. Could I possible change the scripts for iOS support?

33. Likos1

Likos1

Does this work with multiplayer?

34. XavLar

XavLar

Great choice in music! I found myself Spinning the character around to the music :D

35. 101mrsg

101mrsg

I can not open the inventory is there a key i have to press?

36. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

You click the button at bottom right, Bottom left button is equipment sheet.

37. Chad12Pao

Chad12Pao

I really love to have your Character .. simply walking .. im thinking if i gonna put in my time attack game and that would be my enemyAI ..but i dont know the codes ..

38. Bmcthorpe1

Bmcthorpe1

hey this is great but is there any way u could make it so that if u drag something out of the inventory it drops it.
    also if ther is any way i could buy a more advanced version of this system
    thx

39. RoseOfTheRaven

RoseOfTheRaven

Great work on this! I really appreciate all of the notes that explain what each little step is. Super useful! :)

40. BlackHunter

BlackHunter

Turtorial plizz!!

41. delibowlen

delibowlen

Hi,
    first, great Script man ;)

Second, i´ve got a problem by implenting the Script to the Standard FIrst Person Controller in Unity.
    I just can´t get the Character Sheet work, and don´t know why... I always got the error "Array out of Range" for line 163 in the Player.js...

my plan is to make the player-script to use for a InventoryBox like in Minecraft so i need the script just to define the count of slots and thats it...

42. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

NEW INVENTORY SYSTEM

Hey guys. So this inventory is very outdated. It uses live objects to hold what is in your inventory which is a very bad idea because it eats up memory. Ive also had a ton of requests to update this. What Im going to do is create a new inventory system that utilizes all of the features everyone has requested.. for example.. Equipping.. Drag and Drop.. Hot Bar. Stacking and all of that good stuff. Ill make these features toggleable so you can use them, or not use them. It will also NOT use GUI, I will create it with NGUI. It will work much better than any I have created before and will be very light on your game. Items will be stored in the inventory as refferences. So items will not truley exist. Only an ID for it, then when we want to bring it back into the world it will re-create the object. (Or pull it out of a pool and re-enable it). The plan is to release it for the first week as free, and then afterwards it will cost something like $1.99. I want this project to turn into an "All you could ever want Inventory system" and put it up in the asset store. If this is a good idea and would be on high demand let me know. I think a lot of you would appreciate it because of all the requests Ive had lately :).

43. Japhet Eisenhdorf

Japhet Eisenhdorf

Hello ExDeaDguY,

Any updates sir? Once you've Finished the more advanced Inventory system, ill be the first one to buy it.

More Power!

Japhet Eisenhdorf

44. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Not Yet! :p. But it is hard in the works! Ill let you know as soon as its ready to be used. Development is a little slow as I am working on it as a side project. My 9-5 job comes first as that app is what makes me the big bucks ;)

45. Japhet Eisenhdorf

Japhet Eisenhdorf

Thanks man :) Will wait for your update!.... when do you think you can finish the Inventory project? probably this month?

46. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

No idea. >.< Im working a crap ton lately. Upgrading systems at my place of work and havent had much time to work on it. I will work on it more on weekends and get it out soon cus I need more income anyways and having an amazing inventory system in the market might make me a few bucks ;)

47. Japhet Eisenhdorf

Japhet Eisenhdorf

Yes! it gonna make u BIG Bucks! as many people need it "A RELIABLE INVENTORY SYSTEM" also can u add Saving and Loading inventory items? example: Teleporting from Scene to Scene won't loose your item in inventory.

Thanks!

48. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Yep! I will add those to the list of requests. There will be several example scenes as well to show how to create various styles of inventories, pickup scripts, equipment and so on.

49. Japhet Eisenhdorf

Japhet Eisenhdorf

I'm excited to see it! i think it will definitely rock the Asset Store! hahaha

50. MickyD47

MickyD47

Are you still working on the Advanced Inventory system or is it on the asset store?