Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Inventory System/Equipment

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ExDeaDguY, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

free - outdated - learning code.

Here is a quick Web-Player showing a preview:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6629353/AdvancedInventorySystem.html

Music not included.

Purchase This Here:
    -------------------------------NOW FREE BELOW-----------------------------

===============----UPDATE JANUARY 2012--------=============
    Hey Guys. Because this was bumped to the top of the forums I have been getting emails and private messages. Just wanted to put it out there that: This is no longer for sale. The site was pulled down and it just isn't in my interest any more to keep it selling. I made this when I was still very new to Unity and JS. It is coded neatly, I just haven't had the time to do much else with it. That being said... I am now going to release it for FREE.

I appreciate all the interest in this package and am happy to all those who bought it back when it was first released. If you like this and it has helped you out, feel free to drop me a line or leave a post with your experience! Best of luck on all of your projects! .

As Unity Package:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6629353/AdvancedInventoryPackage.unitypackage

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. Skatt

Skatt

This is pretty sweet, does it group multiples of the same item together though? That's one of the harder issues with an inventory system.

3. joel

joel

Love how this turned out Xeno360!
    great stuff.

@Skatt, group multiples of the same item together? how do you mean?

4. Ethan

Ethan

What if i want to drop an item? ;)

BTW i'd love to see drag drop

5. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey! Thanks for the replys!

@Skatt Do you mean like stacks items? Where Example: 6 position would stack in one place? No it doesnt do that. But it wouldnt be all that hard to add. Ill add it in the next update.

Also: Item dropping is simple too. Dragging and dropping is the tough one. But im sure i can add that as well.

If anyone wants to buy this. And then I release an update, I can email the update 2 you! :p.

6. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

I just updated it with stacking! Ta-Da! ^.^

7. RoyS

RoyS

How do we purchase the advanced system, Xeno360?

8. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Well im looking for somewhere to host it to sell it at. I was trying to get it up on Indie Game Market.. But they havnt accepted it yet or sent me a reply back or anything. So if you wanna purchace it. You can send me a private message letting me know. Then i can reply a paypal account that the payment should goto and i can send the package Ex: Email or Host it on a link. However you would prefer. :p.

9. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Pretty awesome bud, and for the price it's a steal. Well done, I hope you continue to provide this service at these prices. All you need now is a store front.

~t

10. RoyS

RoyS

I purchased this system and it is very well done. The scripts are well commented and you can easily see how he has it set up.

The advanced shows character clothing change and has several sets of clothing to show how it's done. It works very well.

Also includes stacked items. I can pick up several of one type of item and they stack in the inventory.

The only thing I'd like to see next is drag and drop or an item drop.

I recommend this inventory to any one who needs one. It's very good.

11. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

I updated this, If you have purchased it you will receive the update in the email you provided upon purchase. I do not recommend discarding the old system though. This new system if a lot more complex and can become confusing very quickly! So if you purchase this you will receive Inventory1.0 and Inventory2.0, The difference is "Semi-Dragging and Dropping" Its not perfect-ed yet, But a lot of the code has been re-worked to allow dragging to work. Don't be frightened coding is your friend ^.^.

Updated the web-player. - Link at top.

Also: Thank you so much for the comments and feedback! :).

12. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Im gonna give this away for 7 bucks until my shareit account is ready for me to use (2 business days until its verified) and then this goes back up to $10! Read the top post for details on how to purchase! this is a limited time offer!

Why?:
    Since I don't have a link up yet, I have to keep logging into here to see if I have new private messages for a purchase. Might as well make the time spent worth it! ^.^, And of course, with the purchase you get updates as long as I keep putting them out ^.^

13. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

I love it when people make stuff cheap. It's what I do, it's what everyone should do.

14. RoyS

RoyS

Is there a way to drop the items back into the game world?

Your free version had drop to put it at the player's position, but if you want to place furniture that way (rpg), then collision will be an issue. Maybe an item can be dropped a short distance in front of the player?

I know your new drag/drop is semifinished.

15. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

@Roys, Yeah. Ill add that in the next update! Its pretty simple to do. Ill have it where you can drag the item out of the inventory and click like on the ground and it will ask "Are you sure you wanna drop this item" or somthing like that ^.^

Also: If you wanna attempt this yourself. You'd pretty much take the code where i put the item with the player but reverse it ex: Reactivate the renderers, and unparent the item.

Anyone who bought this: ALSO NOTE... I made a small mistake that will be fixed by the next update. You can fix it on your script if you'd like, Under Item.js scroll down to the function "MoveMeToPlayer()" And the second line of code reads "transform.collider.isTrigger=false;" the false SHOULD read true!! sorry about this mistake. This should def. be fixed or while using this with a character controller the player will walk oddly!

16. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

hi
    if you have any other way than paypal
    i will buy it please .

17. RoyS

RoyS

Awesome!

If I see any posts like that or requests for inventories or character clothing changes, I'll plug in your link to promote your work like I do for Tom's Terrain tools. A few weeks from now, people may not see this post and know this exists.

18. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hi, Wanted to let everyone know that I added a buy link "Finally"! Not sure how it will work. But if anyone is interested, then try and purchase it from there! If any problems occur, send me a private message! :).

-Check top post to buy link-

19. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey, If anyone tried purchasing this from the website in the past few days since it was posted, Sorry :(. It appears the link was broken and preventing buys. But, ITS FIXED. Working 100%!!

-Eddy

20. leegod

leegod

met 404 error..

21. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

:(

Yeah, Idk whats going on with the site. The guy says he's working on fixing it but idk. If you want you can paypal me like 7 bucks @ Bladeshifter@hotmail.com and then I'd send the package via email to the corresponding email. Or include the email to be sent to into the "Comment" area or something. Idk >.<. Sorry about the problem.

22. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

23. CrazeDevelopment

CrazeDevelopment

Don't shoot yourself D: your wonderful Inventory will die with you! D:!

Just took a look at it.. pretty awesome dude.. good work :)

24. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Thanks man! I plan on releasing more stuff for cheap prices in the future :). But the damn holidays have me super busy at my real job! lol.

25. Lemon223

Lemon223

hello,

i just purchased your advanced inventory system/equipment script on the site of your link i payed but i dont get a link with the download or a code for the download area? how can i get my script? i dont know how it works.

thankyou!

and thanks for selling your script for this small price the demo is looking very nice!

26. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

>.< Well honestly... It's not my site, so I'm not really sure how the download works. But as far as I know, After you purchase it, You should maybe get an e-mail that gives a download link which can be used like 3 times I think. Not sure though. Check your mail box and junk if necessary.

27. Lemon223

Lemon223

hello,

i still got no email but really need the script to go on. i know you cant do anything about that site but can you email me the script if i give you my email? that would be very nice

thanks in advance,

28. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

What's your e-mail address? I'll e-mail you it :).

29. Lemon223

Lemon223

30. _Slava

_Slava

Xeno, no payment from Ruben was made on the site!

31. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Oh.....

32. elias_t

elias_t

Hi. I am working together with _slava on unity3dmall. It seems you made a purchase enquiry but no money was sent from your side ... the transaction is still pending or never happened.

33. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

o_O That was my bad I guess... He just got it for free then. I have no way to check if it was really bought or not so I didn't know. But: I received 450 pts on the 27th so idk. thought it was cus of his buy.

34. surfy1h

surfy1h

thanks Xeno for this system,

tested it out last night, the code is well commented .. For updates will we receive them from the unity 3d mall website ?

35. _Slava

_Slava

authors may update their files on unity3dmall. buyers can download those files 10 times during one year.

36. mattcscz

mattcscz

hey man, just brought the package and is real nice especially for the price, you don't seem to find this sort of quality for such price. I paid like $40 for the tornado twins one and i must say it isn't as good as yours! however i do have one question...How would i implment this to be used on my own character? at the moment i get an error when trying to equipt ("Array index is out of range") im sure im missing some triggers or somthing that must be on the character to place items. Ill try to look further into the demo though =)

37. mattcscz

mattcscz

Also, any idea why when i drag prefabs from the demo scene into mine they go all weird? heres an image >.<
    $lolprefab.jpg

38. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

LOL no idea. Maybe I set up the prefab messed up. Or... I edited the scale within the model, made the prefab assets. and when you bring them into youre project it might be messing them up. no idea, just rebuild the prefabs. All it is is the item script. the object and a collider or something :p. ALSO the array out of index: What I think is happening is... Youre trying to equip something? I havent had this project opened up in awhile actually but I believe the way equipping works is you specify which spot it equips to on the item scrpt. and there must be an equipment slot specified with the same name in the inventory character screen as well. Also: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to release this information, But I made the inventory for unity prefabs as well! lmao, Put lots more time into that one. But yeah this one is pretty good for a quick and simple solution!

39. mattcscz

mattcscz

haha oh really, well it is nice BUT it doesnt support the character equiption, this is why i like this version instead XD, also could you give me some sort of quick quide on how to set up this package so it will work with any character. rather than the one in the demo project :D? im not so good at scripting yet lol

40. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Yeah, Ill explain a bunch below to get you started :).

Equipment:

Equiping is done by... Parenting every bone of the armor or whatever to its cooresponding bone on the character. basically the armor piece and the character needs to have the same bone structure and named identically etc.
    So basically.. When making your main character.. when making the armor youd wanna like.. model it OVER the character. remove the character. keep the bones, bind the armor to the bones. (Rig it) save it as the armor file! :p

the scripts are self explanitory. give the main player the 2 scripts inventory + inventory display. and set the variables the same as the ones in the demo. and then edit them for your own needs :). so yeah that will allow it to work on any character.

41. surfy1h

surfy1h

Hey I am trying to change the view of the camera to the character, so the camera is behide the character.
    however the character always turns facing the camera on load.. is there a line of code rotating the character ?

42. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hi, Umm, WASD should rotate the character while in the preview webplayer. If you have bought this: You could position the camera behind the player rather then in front and remove the platform script from the platform :p. (This script contains the lines that makes it rotate)

43. surfy1h

surfy1h

thanks I will try it tonight :)

44. zaczac

zaczac

Hi Xeno, I am from Malaysia. I wish to buy the script from you. But how? is the link working?

45. Zu01

Zu01

Hehe, what buy this? Not trying to make you loose customers but unitrix has a free version ( I even addad an update :) )

46. zaczac

zaczac

unitrix site?

47. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

hi
    i have bought your script and i have some questions

how can i check if the player have the item in his inventory ?
    how can i use the item from the inventory ?
    is it possible to remove the confirmation message of droping the item ? how ?
    if i want to for example hold a sword do i have to attach all the bones to the sword or only the needed one like the hand only ?
    thank you

48. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hi, I don't have the inventory system on this PC at the moment so I cant be 100% sure but here is waht I can answer:

The items in the inventory are simply gameObjects with thier renderer and what not turned off. And I think the inventory array list is just called "Inventory" so you would go....
    Code (csharp):
    2. var myinv=GetComponent(Inventory).inventory
    3. for(var i:Item in myinv){
    4.     //this is where you could check if you have it, Im not sure how your code is set up but you could either compare the items name or compare its transform or something.. lets use the name though.
    5.     if(i.name=="Maser Key"){
    6.         print("I have access to the door because the key is in my inventory");
    7.         //UseItem(i); //This will use the key, or whatever.
    8.         break;
    9.     }
    10. }
    There really is so many ways to check if you have the item and also use it. its hard to explain sorry. Anyways you could do something like that just make sure you change the variables and stuff to the right name since I dont have the porject in front of me and cany verify its correct.

Removing the confirmation button.... Its really not hard... Look through the code and find it, Basically when the player drops the object outside of the inventory it changes a variable to "confirmdrop" or something like that. just take the code from where it asks you to confirm it. copy the part where it moves the item to the ground, delete the part where it asks you to confirm it.

Sorry man but I cant literally do the project for you if simple tasks like these are hard to do then... Study coding before going any furtherrrrrr!!!!!

Sword: Just move the swords position to the position of the right hands bone. parent it, and straighten it out. Swords dont have to mimic movement rather then just follow the movement of 1 limb so its not like equipping armor, just parent it to the hand.

-Eddy

49. konedj

konedj

Xeno360 are you the same of the Inventory GUI tutorial in Design3???
    Great prefab by the way

50. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Nope =X. I haven't heard of Design3 before. I have another inventory system through Unityprefabs.com though.

^_^