Search Unity

Advanced Input Field

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fennecx_development, Jul 29, 2017.

1. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't tested the plugin on that specific device, don't have one atm.
    Usually these kind of behaviour differences occur because of slightly different Android OS implementation by the different smartphone manufacturers.
    The best way to solve this is for me to purchase one to test and fix the issue. I don't mind investing some of the profit of the plugin into buying new test devices (especially because I don't have a test device of that manufacturer yet).

Just to be sure: You're talking about the LG G7 ThinQ model right?

2. marcz88

marcz88

Yes, exactly that model. Thx a lot for your help.

Do you think there would be a way to have a safe fallback for Advanced Input(AI), IOW, if there was a way to detect a difference, or a failure of expected behavior, AI fields could revert to the basic Unity Input Field? In this case, the user wouldn't get the nice features of AI, but would at least not be stuck. Thx again.

3. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I have the device now and could not reproduce it with latest version 1.6.3. I also tried it with the previous version 1.6.1 and that version does get stuck in the LG G7. Maybe 1.6.1 had an incorrectly build/outdated version of the Android native binding, but it seems like 1.6.3 doesn't have the issue.

Regarding the fallback to Unity TouchScreenKeyboard. The official Unity TouchScreenKeyboard differs too much and is too limited compared to the native Keyboard bindings of this plugin. Would be very difficult to get it working as a fallback.
    I was thinking about maybe implementing a timer when the keyboard is in one of the "pending" states and when a timeout is reached go to the expected next state.

4. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Seems like previous version 1.6.1 had some issues on some devices which seem to have dissapeared in 1.6.3. Not really sure why 1.6.1 had these problems. 1.6.3 only has a small fix for password fields on Android (which required a rebuild of the Android binding).

Regarding iOS keyboard height. On my iPhone 5c it reports the correct height. Om my (new) test device iPhone 8 Plus it reports more than it should. Is the reported keyboard height on your test iOS devices always larger too? Might need to multiply it by a certain reference resolution value to get the current value.

5. wouter_vugt

wouter_vugt

Hi,

I have a very important question;
    I want the user (mouse or touch) to click and drag the inputfield text to the top or bottom(instead of making a click drag selection).
    Also I want to scroll the text when the user uses the scroll button on his mouse.

It is great the the inputfield auto scrolls the text when out of view, but I want to disable the click-drag selection and replace it with a click-drag the text up and down and only when the user clicks/tabs anywhere in the text can he edit it again.

Is there a quick way to do this? I need to release a product this week.
    I got it to work with the default input field but would rather use your plugin, but would like to avoid hacking it in myself.

6. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I've send you a PM.

7. cantfindanamethatisntalreadytaken

cantfindanamethatisntalreadytaken

Hi just got this and can't get it to work on Unity 2018.2. Added the define for TextMeshPro but it comes up with error "NullReferenceException Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

This is just with the sample scene "Chat"

I also find none of the sample scenes run on iOS

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Did you also import the TextMeshPro package using the Unity Package Manager? Sometimes the Package Manager has trouble adding references properly to the solution files. To make sure TextMeshPro is properly installed try to access one of the TextMeshPro scripts from code.

Are you testing this on a iOS device or the iOS Simulator? The sample scenes should work fine on a real iOS device.

9. amateurd

amateurd

Thanks, I think TextMeshPro is all working, just not the samples. All testing is with a real iPad. Am trying with different Player settings to see if anything starts to work.

I should be clear I've not had any of the samples (i.e. the non-TextMeshPro) work either.

10. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Do you have any other plugins in the project? Maybe something is conflicting with it. Could you try the plugin in a clean project?

11. cantfindanamethatisntalreadytaken

cantfindanamethatisntalreadytaken

Just an empty project. I am using Unity 2018.2.3.

12. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Hmm, strange.

I installed Unity 2018.2.3 on my Mac, downloaded the package from the Asset Store and added the "Form" sample scene to the build settings. I've made an iOS build in Unity and installed and tested it on my iPhone 5C and iPhone 8 Plus. Both devices show the keyboard normally when selecting an AdvancedInputField.
    Haven't tested it my iPad Air yet, don't have it with me at the moment. So, I'll verify it on my iPad Air tomorrow too.
    If that doesn't show problems, it might be caused by a particular (newer?) iPad device.

What iPad device/model are you using?
    And what iOS version?

Update: Also tested on my iPad Air without problems

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  13. neomarian

neomarian

Hi, I found a bug: if I increate text font size in runtime the text disappear (text parent is not updating his size).
    To workaround this issue I had to make AdvancedInputField.UpdateActiveTestRenderer() function public and to call it after I change font size.

14. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Not really sure if I can catch the font size change in code without constantly checking the value, but if it helps I can make the UpdateActiveTextRenderer method public by default.

15. Hoolyhulin

Hoolyhulin

hello,i meet a problem on android paltform that i can perfect run if i build apk by File->Building Setting->Build,but if i export gradle to compile apk,when i run the apk on my android phone,it will show following error and keyboard did not display eventhough i operate nothing,and if i click on the advanced inputfield,i get the second error on my android adb logcat.i guess it may because android build config eg:manifest,proguard.. ,this problem confuses me two days,may i ask for some helps?

Attached Files:

16. Hoolyhulin

Hoolyhulin

i solve it

17. Hoolyhulin

Hoolyhulin

hi,i want know that can i show the text box on the keyboard like unity's self inpufield?
    because if i use unity-inputfield,i can not get the height of that text box.

18. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

You can move the selected inputfield on top of the keyboard by registering an OnKeyboardHeightChanged listener using following API method:
    NativeKeyboardManager.AddKeyboardHeightChangedListener(OnKeyboardHeightChanged);

This will send an event callback whenever the keyboard appears/dissapears and includes the keyboard height.
    Also, see the bottom InputField in the "Modes" sample scene for an example implementation of this behaviour.

19. Cronos05

Cronos05

Hi!

The app using Advanced Input Field is crashing on iOS Simulator.

It's happening at the line:

Code (CSharp):
    2. IOSKeyboard__initialize_m630343972([B]NULL[/B] [I]/*static, unused*/[/I], L_0, [I]/*hidden argument*/[/I][B]NULL[/B]);
    inside the IOSKeyboard_Setup function:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // System.Void AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.IOSKeyboard::Setup()
    2. extern "C"  void IOSKeyboard_Setup_m950293151 (IOSKeyboard_t793442113 * __this, const RuntimeMethod* method)
    Is this a known issue? Is there a way to avoid it?

Thank you

20. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I normally don't test it in the iOS Simulator as it doesn't always behave like a real device and it's slow on my MacOS Virtual Machine (I might get a real Mac device (MacBook) in the coming months though).
    Regarding the errors: they seem to be caused by missing build architecture, because iOS Simulator uses different ones than the real iOS devices. They use the architecture of the host Mac Device.

I managed to build a fat library file including both the architectures for iOS devices and the ones needed for the iOS Simulator. It seems to work in the iOS Simulator, no errors and keyboard appears (although very slow in my test environment, since I use a Virtual Machine).

So see it it works for you.
    Replace the NativeKeyboard.a file in Plugins/iOS with the one in the attached zip file

Attached Files:

21. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

Hi, I have two questions.
    Firstly, is it possyble to change language of action bar (cut, paste. etc.). How?
    And how I should change text properties of buttons of action bar (height, font, etc.)

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  22. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

You can create a modified ActionBar prefab and assign it in the Global Settings.
    1. From the "Advanced Input Field" dropdown in the TopBar choose "Global Settings"
    2. Locate the current assigned "ActionBar prefab"
    3. Duplicate the prefab
    4. Create and attach a component that changes the text of the buttons when language changes
    5. Assign the modified prefab in the Global Settings

23. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

Also I found a critical bug on Android device.
    1) After copy-paste of text I can`t delete selected text (the keyboard doesn`t works).
    2) If I copy a large part of text and then paste it I have that result (it doesn`t work).
    (Keyboard freeze fully)
    Reproduce:
    1) Selecet large part of text and copy it;
    2) Paste this text;
    3) As a result your keyboard freeze.

I hope that you tell me how to fix it.

Thanks!)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  24. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I've fixed some input issues in current development version. Input events could get stuck (including the ActionBar ones), because Unity's EventSystem behaves weird when not all input interfaces are implemented. Fix will be included in next release, which I expect to release next week.

25. PortoEditora

PortoEditora

Hello!

I've bought this plugin a few days ago. Until now everything is going smoothly, however we've encountered an issue.

In a AdvancedInputField where the user must type a date in the dd/mm/yyyy format, once the user introduces the first two digits, using the OnValueChanged handler, the '/' is append and so on. After adding the '/' we're calling the SetCaretToTextEnd method in order to update the caret position. This works perfectly in the Unity Editor, however in android the caret doesn't move to the end of the string staying in the same position.

Any ideia of what's causing this issue?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  26. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I've looked into it and this was happening because of a safety mechanism (to avoid infinite loops) that blocks changes when something had happened with the text or caret position in native code (on mobile platforms) during that frame. I fixed it by delaying the actual event invocations by one frame.
    The fix is included in version 1.7.0, which is currently pending review in the Asset Store.

In the meantime you could delay the call to the SetCaretToTextEnd() by starting a coroutine and waiting a frame.
    Also, it might be interesting for you to check the LiveProcessing scene which includes a Date LiveProcessingFilter that visually shows the '/' between groups of digits, but the string value of the text will only have digits in code.

27. PortoEditora

PortoEditora

Thank you for the tip! Used the LiveProcessingFilter and it's working fine.

28. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

Hi,
    Thanks for the update!
    Many problems fixed!
    But I still have bug when I copy and paste some of the text (> 30-50 characters). The result is a freezing of the keyboard for a while.
    (Android device)

29. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Is it a text paste in a large block of text?
    Is CharacterValidation active on the InputField? In large blocks of text this might cause slow behaviour.

30. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

No, I don`t use validator.
    I can reproduce it in a sample (mutiline).
    For example, the entire text is 25-30 characters.
    I copy it and paste after old text.
    As a result, keyboard freezes.

31. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Hmm, strange, I don't really notice large delays on my test Android devices with that sample scene, but that's maybe because they are fairly new devices. Might need to see if I can find some old Android devices to test on.
    What Android device are you testing this on?

I'm was planning to rewrite/improve the ActionBar and Mobile Selection Cursors code anyways, so maybe it can optimize it a bit more, but pasting 30 characters should normally not be an issue.
    Just to be sure: It does actually paste the characters eventually in your case, right?

32. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

I use "Meizu m5 note".
    "It does actually paste the characters eventually in your case, right?"
    - Yes, after that keyboard freezes.

33. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I did some debugging. I checked how long the paste operation took and could boost the performance by rewritting it a little.
    This should give you a performance boost when pasting text:
    Change the Insert(string input) method in TextManipulator.cs to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. internal void Insert(string input)
    2. {
    3.     if(InputField.ReadOnly)
    4.     {
    5.         return;
    6.     }
    8.     if(TextNavigator.HasSelection)
    9.     {
    10.         DeleteSelection();
    11.     }
    13.     StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder(Text.Length + input.Length);
    14.     stringBuilder.Append(Text);
    16.     int length = input.Length;
    17.     for(int i = 0; i < length; i++)
    18.     {
    19.         char c = input[i];
    21.         if(!IsValidChar(c))
    22.         {
    23.             continue;
    24.         }
    26.         string currentText = stringBuilder.ToString();
    27.         int selectionStartPosition = -1;
    28.         if(TextNavigator.HasSelection)
    29.         {
    30.             selectionStartPosition = TextNavigator.SelectionStartPosition;
    31.         }
    33.         char result = textValidator.Validate(currentText, TextNavigator.CaretPosition, c, selectionStartPosition);
    34.         if(result != 0)
    35.         {
    36.             if(InputField.ReadOnly)
    37.             {
    38.                 return;
    39.             }
    41.             if(InputField.CharacterLimit > 0 && Text.Length >= InputField.CharacterLimit)
    42.             {
    43.                 return;
    44.             }
    46.             stringBuilder.Insert(TextNavigator.CaretPosition, c);
    47.             TextNavigator.MoveCaret(1);
    48.         }
    49.     }
    50.     Text = stringBuilder.ToString();
    51. }

34. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

Thanks!
    It`s realy work very good!
    I`ll give 5 stars in the store. :)

35. oengborg

oengborg

Hi, I'm looking for a solution to the problem with IME input and Unity on Linux and came across this asset. Since Linux isn't listed as a supported platform I suspect that it won't solve my problem but thought I'd ask anyway.

Does anyone know or could possibly test if this input field would be recognized as IME input on Linux? I suspect most distros come with ibus these days and that supports things like Pinyin for Chinese for example.

For clarification, the problem is that when I try to input Chinese with Pinyin in an input field I don't get the popup with suggestions and it just takes the English characters as input.
    There is an active issue on this problem but I need to solve it in a limited time frame.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-ugui-inputfield-cant-key-chinese

Thanks in advance!

36. MohHeader

MohHeader

Edit1 :
    I think it is related to how the width is calculated, as the Text gameobject has the final text correct as ( ** ) but it's width is smaller than what it should be so it force it to do that behavior
    ------

Hi again :)

I would like to report a new bug,
    To reproduce :
    - create a new Project.
    - import Advanced InputField
    - open the sample scene ( Advanced Input Field/Samples/Scenes/Form )
    - Play the scene
    - Select Password field, click ( i ) on keyboard, click another ( i )

notice that password is written on ( two lines ) although it is a single line field.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  37. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I looked into it and it seems like it was calculating the correct preferred size in that case, but not applying that size.
    This should fix it:
    In TextNavigator.cs find the method "RefreshRenderedText()" and add the line "InputField.UpdateActiveTextRenderer();" to the bottom/as the last line in that method.
    upload_2018-12-2_13-51-59.png

38. Micito

Micito

Hi,

I noticed that TMP version of input field allows editing of tags, also typing when there are tags in the text is inputing characters not at correct position. Same for deleting, and when you position cursor at the end, you can't even delete.

I tried this with simple text "<b>asdfghjkl</b>" characters were inserted or deleted 3 letters in front of the cursor.

I know that TMP version of addon is still in experimental stages. Is it still being worked on? Are there any plans to fix these issues? And possibly add more support that TMP input field has (allow rich text editing, reset on deactivation, restore on ESC key, ...)?

Thanks in advance,
    Milan

39. laythra

laythra

Hello,

Hope you're having a good day, i have some questions about the asset if that's ok;

1) Is it possible to keep the keyboard active after submitting? this is an important feature in any chat service where we wouldn't want the keyboard to get dismissed after every submit and the user would not have to tab on the input field again after every submit as well.

2) Is there a keyboard spacer implemented in the keyboard?

Thanks a lot in advanced :D

dakimaru likes this.
  40. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I wasn't aware that the TextMeshPro parses rich text tags by default. Currently the TextMeshPro binding is just focused on rendering characters (without formatting tags). I might look into in the future, but not on short term. I've added the feature "Rich Text Editing" to my TODO list.
    You might be able to implement the other functionalities/behaviours by registering an event listener to the OnEndEdit event of an AdvancedInputField instance.

41. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

1. I've added a custom button script "InputFieldButton" for this (it won't deactivate the inputfield if that button is clicked). If you want an example of this, you can check the Android sample builds linked on the first page, specifically "Chat.apk".

2. If you mean like a tab character, then not. If you want a specific character (can be a space character) between for example a groups of numbers for a credit card number, then that's possible. See like "LiveProcessing.apk" in the prebuilt Android samples for that one.

42. laythra

laythra

Thank you so much for the fast and useful response,

i would just like to make some thing clear regarding my second question, a keyboard spacer means that is there a helper that would push the input field above the keyboard when the input field is selected and the keyboard is active, so that the user would be able to see what he/she is typing?

I hope that made it clearer.
    Thanks a lot :D

43. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

There is a KeyboardScroller component in this plugin that will scroll a ScrollRect until the selected inputfield is just above the onscreen keyboard (if it visually blocks the inputfield). It does require a specific setup in the scene (instructions are in the ReadMe of the plugin). You can also handle it manually in script by registering an event listener to the OnKeyboardHeightChanged event.

44. dakimaru

dakimaru

Thanks for putting in the effort jpienbro,

Just bought this tool as I've spent way much time trying to get native behaviors to work on our app, Morphus.ai.
    Our app is a chat app and I bought this to achieve a typing experience like other native messaging apps such as FB Messenger, but in Unity.

For iOS that would mean to try to create an inputAccessoryView(the UI above the keyboard) with an expanding inputField that expands only until to 5 lines of text. The keyboard would also push up content in the chat as it appears. I have attached screenshots for your reference.

My foremost question may be simple to resolve, how would you set a max height of the input box as it expands, or even better have it expand only until 5 lines of text. Making that an option under Resize Vertical would be helpful.

PS: We use TextMeshPro

IMG_7263.PNG IMG_7262.PNG

45. AndrewOleynik

AndrewOleynik

46. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I'm currently optimizing some internal code and fixing several small bugs. (Didn't really have much development time lately). I expect to release those next week and after that I will start rewriting the ActionBar & MobileCursors.

47. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Yes, I think it would be an useful addition to this plugin to have a max lines property. I've added it to my TODO list.

48. laythra

laythra

Hello,

We have recently bought your asset and everything is going well except for one thing, we are using rtl text mesh pro (https://forum.unity.com/threads/rtl...ian-and-arabic-support-to-textmeshpro.535758/) that's also supported by your asset since it inherits from text mesh pro and it's working fine on both regular text and RTL fixed text. however, whenever we try to render emojis (with having the emojis feature enabled), we get this excpetion:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2. at TMPro.TMP_Text.StringToCharArray (System.String sourceText, System.Int32[]& charBuffer) [0x00224] in <98c3366b317c4faf8b824678aaee29d6>:0
    3. TMPro.TMP_Text.ParseInputText () [0x00029] in <98c3366b317c4faf8b824678aaee29d6>:0
    4. TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.OnPreRenderCanvas () [0x00095] in <98c3366b317c4faf8b824678aaee29d6>:0
    5. TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.ForceMeshUpdate (System.Boolean ignoreInactive) [0x0000e] in <98c3366b317c4faf8b824678aaee29d6>:0
    6. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.TMProTextRenderer.UpdateImmediately (System.Boolean generateOutOfBounds) [0x00051] in <d26f7b8b411e4aeaa9e3284bf72400bc>:0
    7. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.TMProTextRenderer.set_Text (System.String value) [0x0001d] in <d26f7b8b411e4aeaa9e3284bf72400bc>:0
    8. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.SetText (System.String text, System.Boolean invokeTextChangeEvent)
    Rendering emojis worked pretty fine on the regular Text Mesh pro input field with the rtl text mesh pro, but with this input field for some reason it's not. Perhaps we could change something in the emojis insertion.
    Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

49. laythra

laythra

We were able to fix the above error, turns out it was an issue with our RTL helper.
    However, now we are facing a new error that we've been digging through for days, yet no solution whatsoever was found.

When activating the keyboard for the advanced input field and then going to the background and returning back to the app and waiting for a little while we get this exception:

[code=CSharp]Socket: accept failed, error: Too many open files(24)
    (Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Network/Sockets.cpp Line: 414)
    [EGL] Unable to acquire context: EGL_BAD_NATIVE_WINDOW: A NativeWindowType argument does not refer to a valid native window.

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/GfxDevice/egl/WindowContextEGL.cpp Line: 275)[/code]

and the app freezes completely and ends up crashing. any idea why this is happening? i hope we can get any sort of help. thanks

50. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Is that new issue specific to a inputfield with rtl rendering or does it happen on any inputfield?
    That log doesn't tell me much (EGL errors can be caused by multiple things), usually Android prints a stacktrace whenever it crashes and after that sometimes EGL errors are printed.