Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Input Field

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fennecx_development, Jul 29, 2017.

1. CyriacJo

CyriacJo

Hi,

I am not a developer but a producer of an app. Based on the advice of a developer who no longer works for us I bought this plugin. However, when compiling for iOS the app has got rejected multiple times as the keyboard does not show up in signin screen. We implemented this fix (https://answers.unity.com/questions/1400894/inputfield-not-bringing-up-the-keyboard-on-ios.html) it seemed to work once but once again this time we got rejected for the same error. Here is the message for appstore
    Guideline 2.1 - Performance - App Completeness
    We discovered one or more bugs in your app when reviewed on iPad running iOS 11.4 on Wi-Fi connected to an IPv6 network.
    Specifically, when trying to type in the login, the app did not pop up the keyboard.
    Next Steps
    To resolve this issue, please run your app on a device to identify any issues, then revise and resubmit your app for review.
    If we misunderstood the intended behavior of your app, please reply to this message in Resolution Center to provide information on how these features were intended to work.
    For new apps, uninstall all previous versions of your app from a device, then install and follow the steps to reproduce the issue. For updates, install the new version as an update to the previous version, then follow the steps to reproduce the issue.

Resources
    For information about testing your app and preparing it for review, please see Technical Note TN2431: App Testing Guide.
    For a networking overview, please review About Networking. For a more specific overview of App Review’s IPv6 requirements, please review the IPv6 and App Review discussion on the Apple Developer Forum.
    Please see attached screenshot for details.
    Since your App Store Connect status is Rejected, a new binary will be required.
    screenshot ios.png

2. Arlocke

Arlocke

Thanks.

Any progress on this?

3. anamta93

anamta93

Hi,
    I want to go to next inputfield manually, i mean by c# or any builtin event. I'm unable to find that, can you please let me know
    TIA

4. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Hmm...This is a first time I heard that an app got rejected because of the inputfield. Did you test the build on a real device first before submitting it to the App Store? Maybe something else if conflicting with it.

I noticed that you linked a fix for the Unity InputField. You shouldn't mix Unity InputFields and AdvancedInputFields in a project as they both want to control the keyboard using different native code and can leave the keyboard in a unexpected state.

I want to help, but I can only guess without seeing the project itself. What version of Unity and what version of the AdvancedInputField plugin are you using at the moment?

5. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Reproduced and fixed the issue. Seems to be a common issue with split keyboard that it doesn't send some of keyboard events (that the plugin relies on).

To fix:
    Replace the NativeKeyboard.a file in Plugins/iOS with to one in attached zip file

Attached Files:

Arlocke likes this.
  6. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

You can select another AdvancedInputField manually in code by calling ManualSelect() on the other AdvancedInputField instance. The nextInputField property of an AdvancedInputField instance can be accessed by using the .NextInputField property.
    Example: inputField.NextInputField.ManualSelect()

anamta93 likes this.
  7. CyriacJo

CyriacJo

Unity version is 2017.3.0f3 i think plugin version is 1.5.0

8. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Some thing to check:
    1. Does the submitted build work correctly if you run it on a real device?
    2. Are you using Unity's normal InputField in your project too? It can cause conflicts with this plugin.
    3. Did you disable the splashscreen in the Unity build settings? An issue with this setting was fixed in a newer version of this plugin.

9. waqarshah

waqarshah

App is crashing in ios simulator when use this plugin.

10. anamta93

anamta93

Hi,

I'm trying to use ManualDeselect() and ManualSelect() of you plugin, and it's working perfectly on editor but not on android :/

it's also freezing the unity scene

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  11. anamta93

anamta93

well i used AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.EndEditReason.PROGRAMMATIC_DESELECT in ManualDeselect
    but it's still freezing on manual select

12. anamta93

anamta93

well it's working when i give a slight delay

13. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Are you perhaps accessing it in Awake() somewhere? It might happen that your inputfield isn't initialized yet at the moment you're accessing it. (Should print a warning when this happens). In Start() it should be initialized in normal circumstances, otherwise check .Initialized property.

14. jedy

jedy

I'm sorry for repeating what others have already asked, but what's going on with the Text Mesh Pro support?

15. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

It was on hold because of a bug in TextMeshPro. I contacted the developer of TextMeshPro a while ago about this bug, but it not fixed yet in TextMeshPro. Because this is taking longer than expected I've decided to use a workaround for now and continue on working on the integration. Aiming for a release with TextMeshPro support this month.

URPian and jedy like this.
  16. jedy

jedy

Brilliant! I can't wait to rid my app of the annoying Unity input field. I'll follow the thread and purchase as soon as I can integrate it with my app.

17. anamta93

anamta93

Hi,

It's on OnValueChange event

Well, I'm trying to go to previous field on back click after the length has been 0, but the onValueChange event doesn't work after the length is 0, but i want it on back press after it has been 0, helppp

18. Cronos05

Cronos05

Hi there!

I've seen the OnKeyboardHeightChanged callback is being called after the mobile keyboard finishes moving up (or when it gets completely hidden). Is there a callback that gets called when the keyboard *starts* moving up or down?

Thanks

19. anamta93

anamta93

Another thing is , i'm using

_field.ManualSelect(AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.BeginEditReason.PROGRAMMATIC_SELECT);

but if i don't give delay before switching, it doesn't select the next field properly, for example, there is a keyboard and carat is showing, but nothing is happening

20. Vasilis-Mbakalis

Vasilis-Mbakalis

Hello again!I've posted this problem before, i thought it has been solved, but it hadn't.I set my input field using the command , MyAdvantageInputfield.text="MyEmail" after i check if this input field has been initialized. When my scene starts, the full string length isn't displayed, only a part of it. The full length is displayed only when i choose this input field. I post a picture of how i set up the specific input field

Attached Files:

21. trinaxsg

trinaxsg

HI, I'm thinking of buying this asset. I would like to know if it is possible to completely hide the mobile keyboard and use my own on screen keyboard, because I saw in an earlier post that an app was rejected because it didn't show the native touch screen keyboard.

22. DJ-Coco

DJ-Coco

Hey,
    I recently discovered what I believe to be a bug on Android. When using the SwiftKey keyboard, touching the "123"-Button on the bottom left to bring up the keypad and special symbols makes AdvancedInputField close the keyboard. This doesn't happen with Unity's default input field.

Here are some GIFs to demonstrate the issue
    https://imgur.com/a/Pds5Guc

It should be noted AdvancedInputField does not close the keyboard when you switch to the keypad when the input field is empty.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  23. MrSaoish

MrSaoish

Hello, I put an AdvancedInputField at the very top of my mobile app as a search bar, and I found that the action bar would be appeared out of the screen if the user bring it up. Here is a screen shot from my phone to indicate what's going on. Screenshot_20180801-172406.jpg

I know there there are work arounds, first is to just have the input field be lower on the screen. However, I am trying to keep it at the very top of the screen, and use the space below the display maximum search results. The second way is to change the anchor of ActionBar prefab to be top center; however, this would make all action bars of my app to be displayed below all input fields, and I don't want that.

So I'm wondering if developer could provide us an option to choose if we want the action bar to be above or below each input field. Or if there is other way to make this work, I am all ears.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  24. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

General announcement:
    Back from my holiday and version 1.6.0 is currently pending review. The TextMeshPro integration took longer than expected because I couldn't use the same text scrolling/shifting functionality as with Unity Text Renderers. To support both type of Text Renderers I needed to change the text scroll behaviour to use a (Custom) ScrollRect (and restructure the gameobjects inside an AdvancedInputField instance). The code needed to be updated to handle the new format/structure.
    Also, a ConversionTool needed to be made to easily convert from the old format to the new format.

For any open issues you posted here:

I will gradually check them in the latest version (which is currently pending review) and fix them when needed.

Release Notes 1.6.0:
    TextMeshPro support added (Requires Unity 2018):
    The format/structure of an AdvancedInputField instance has changed to support both Unity Text Renderers and TextMeshPro Text Renderers:
    - Uses a custom ScrollView now instead of shifting the text characters
    (Multiple properties has been added to change the scroll behaviour & sensitivity)
    - There is a dedicated Text Renderer now for the placeholder

IMPORTANT: All AdvancedInputFields made prior to version 1.6.0 are deprecated and can't be used anymore.
    You can use the ConversionTool (Advanced Input Field => ConversionTool) to convert from the deprecated format to the new format.
    Set 'from' to 'DEPRECATED_ADVANCEDINPUTFIELD' and 'to' to either 'ADVANCEDINPUTFIELD_UNITY_TEXT' or 'ADVANCEDINPUTFIELD_TEXTMESHPRO_TEXT';

You can choose either a AdvancedInputField with Unity Text Renderers or with TextMeshPro Text Renderers now in the ConversionTool or when creating a new AdvancedInputField instance from the dropdown.

Known issues:
    - Text is always aligned top left

Remarks:
    - ConversionTool can't transfer "NextInputField" property if the referenced input field needs to be converted too.
    You'll need to relink them manually in this case.

25. booferei

booferei

Hey, just joined the party. Purchased the plugin and tried to use it, but iOS build fails.
    This is the end of the build log:

ld: warning: arm64 function not 4-byte aligned: ltmp0 from <output-dir>/Libraries/libiPhone-lib.a(unwind_test_arm64.o)
    ld: warning: arm64 function not 4-byte aligned: _unwind_tester from <output-dir>/Libraries/libiPhone-lib.a(unwind_test_arm64.o)
    duplicate symbol _OBJC_CLASS_$_RenderDispatch in:
    ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-cdalperjqfubwhbqpsyphvjwluoi/Build/Intermediates.noindex/Unity-iPhone.build/ReleaseForRunning-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/arm64/NatCamRenderDispatch.o
    <output-dir>/Libraries/Standard Assets/NatCorder/Plugins/iOS/libNatCamRenderPipeline.a(RenderDispatch.o)
    duplicate symbol _OBJC_METACLASS_$_RenderDispatch in:
    ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/Unity-iPhone-cdalperjqfubwhbqpsyphvjwluoi/Build/Intermediates.noindex/Unity-iPhone.build/ReleaseForRunning-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/arm64/NatCamRenderDispatch.o
    <output-dir>/Libraries/Standard Assets/NatCorder/Plugins/iOS/libNatCamRenderPipeline.a(RenderDispatch.o)
    duplicate symbol _OBJC_IVAR_$_RenderDispatch.queue in:
    duplicate symbol _NatCamRenderDelegate in:
    ld: 5 duplicate symbols for architecture arm64
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    Perhaps there is some conflict with NatCorder?

UPDATE: forgot to mention, using Unity 2017.3.1p4.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  26. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Yes, Looks like a problem with NatCorder. This might happen because this plugin adds "-ObjC" to other linker flags when building the XCode project. Several other iOS libraries require this flag too to build successfully.
    (See https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1490/_index.html)
    You can check if building the project with only the NatCorder included and adding that "-ObjC" causes the same error. If this causes the same error maybe the developer of NatCorder can modify his plugin to make it build correctly when building with that flag.

27. booferei

booferei

Indeed, adding the "-ObjC" flag produces the build error. I will see if NatCorder's developer can help.

28. booferei

booferei

I've contacted NatCorder's developer, which responded that using the -ObjC would indeed cause these errors. He suggested using the -force_load flag instead.

Does that sound like a viable solution?

29. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Haven't used that flag before, but it's worth a try. I'll try including it in my post XCode project build script and see if everything builds correctly.

30. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

The plugin seems to build correctly when replacing -ObjC with that -force_load flag. Could you try replacing the PostProcessBuild.cs file in "Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Editor" with the attached file and check if it builds correctly now with the NativeCorder plugin in the same project. (Recreate the Xcode project from Unity)

Attached Files:

31. booferei

booferei

The build succeeds now. :)
    Thanks. Next week I'll test the library to see if it helps me.

32. Xeqtr

Xeqtr

Hello! I didn't read read all posts above thats why I'm asking this question. Does this plugin support hide input feature on iOS for multiline input filed? I mean completely and correctly hide native input field and done and cancel buttons.

Thanks in advance!

33. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Not really sure if I understand correctly.
    This is how it looks on iOS (iPhone):
    upload_2018-8-18_10-13-47.png
    The InputField is rendered in Unity, the Keyboard is native iOS.
    The layout of the keyboard can be slightly different per iOS device. This is determined by iOS itself.

Or did you mean the suggestion bar (see screenshot below)?
    upload_2018-8-18_10-15-55.png

34. Xeqtr

Xeqtr

I mean by default multiline input filed with "hide input filed" option has a such layout
    upload_2018-8-18_16-9-6.png

But when input filed is in single line mode it looks normaly
    upload_2018-8-18_16-13-49.png

I want to hide done/cancel panel when my input field in multiline mode. That's why I'm asking about this feature in your plugin.

35. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Did a bit of research, googling on the done/cancel buttons with multiline inputfield and the results all mentioned Unity InputField, so I think it's something Unity has implemented, not something that iOS does by default.
    So I made a build with an Unity InputField and an AdvancedInputField with the same settings (multiline newline) and check what happened (tested on iPhone 5):
    - Unity InputField shows done & cancel key in the extra bar on top of keyboard
    - AdvancedInputField only shows keyboard (no extra bar).

So it seems this plugin will do what you want.

36. Xeqtr

Xeqtr

Thank you so much! I'll purchase it immediately.

37. cmbellman

cmbellman

When I use the new AdvancedInputField_TextMeshPro_Text - with the mode VERTICAL_RESIZE_FIT_TEXT I get the inputfield to grow when adding text longer than the width, but when I then erase text the field stays in expanded mode when it should shrink back to fit the text. If I remove all text it shrinks back to default size, but if I after that enter a new character it grows back to last maximum size.

I went to the Text / Processed components and enabled wrapping first, in order to make it work.

How can I get the field to keep fitting the text even when I remove text?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  38. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

The resize and several TextMeshPro Text Renderer issues are fixed in the development version of the plugin.
    I made a patch package that should contain all the changes you need to fix these issues.

Attached Files:

39. cmbellman

cmbellman

Thanks for the patch, it reduced the number of unwanted effects but still left some, so I think I will revert to unity text until an official update. However I still struggle with a strange behavior with the unity text, that I didn't have before. I set the field to minimum height 110 and the parent container and layouts also are set to 110. But when I activate the field during play it expands to 134, making the field show more space than I want under the text.

When checking the Content component (only child of "TextArea") it's height is 61 during play.

If I write text that wraps, it expands just a couple of pixels for first line (because field now has too much space from start) and then on third line and onwards it looks like it's expanding correctly. Removing text makes it shrink but not below 134 (when it actually should be 110).

Input field in editor:

Input field in player:

Screenshot from game (input field wrong size highlighted in yellow):

Do you know how I can avoid this, so that the default height of the field is not changing when I play the game? I had it working before upgrading, but then it was a completely different setup, since the plugin changed quite a bit after I upgraded.

If you want to check wanted behavior (before upgrade of plugin) you can download "Scoryteller" from google play / app store

Edit: I think that the main issue I still had with TMPro was basically the same, it gave me too high input when used

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  40. hexagonius

hexagonius

Hi,

I just ran into a NullReferenceException thrown when typing into the Advanced Input Field -> Text field. Steps to reproduce:

- Create a new Project (Unity 2018.2.0b9 used)
    - Update TextMeshPro in the package manager
    - Download the TextMeshPro Essentials package
    - Import AdvancedInputField
    - Create a TextMeshPro Input Field from the AdvancedInputField menu (does not matter if a canvas was selected or not)
    - Type something into the Text field in on the AdvancedInputField component in the inspector
    NullReferenceException should be thrown :

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.SetText (System.String text, Boolean invokeTextChangeEvent) (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/AdvancedInputField.cs:1027)

41. John-Chen350

John-Chen350

Unfortunately, I've found that it doesn't work well with IME (Chinese for example) in windows editor. Can you address this with a hotfix?

42. John-Chen350

John-Chen350

PS the default setting of this plugin prevent the mouse scrolling from work. I've tried to find out the solution, but for the IME problem I have no idea for now.

43. WSEGAMES

WSEGAMES

I just purchased your plugin, it is imported in my project, but it is not working, keyboard not opening, in fact your form screen is not working while build on android. please let me know the solution, is it have any dependency on android manifest

44. ccaviere

ccaviere

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with suggestions/autocorrect revealing passwords on Android. It doesn't seem to be happening with all types of keyboards, but at least Swiftkey and Gboard (see screenshot) have this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks!

45. MrSaoish

MrSaoish

I have just updated to Advanced Input Field 1.6.1 from 1.5.7 in order to fix action bar placing outside of mobile screen, however; there are few issues with Unity Text after the update:

1. It's used to be able to drag and drop the ActionBar prefab into the scene, and then edit and save it. But with the new update I can no longer drag and drop the ActionBar prefab into the scene, which prevent me from editing each font style/size/color under each action bar button.

2. Selection cursors are buggy, I don't feel like I can drag the start/end cursors freely, and the current cursor is not working properly for position my caret. Furthermore, I feel like these cursors mechanisms and holding/double table mechanisms are interrupting each other, which makes it really hard to edit the content in the input field.

3. The current cursor is always on even with the "Selection Cursors" unchecked. In 1.5.7, I disabled CurrentCursor from SelectionCursors prefab because sometimes it doesn't go away when you try to select multiple characters using start and end cursors. But in the new patch, disabling CurrentCursor from SelectionCursors prefab would make the input field not intractable.

4. With "Selection Cursors" enabled, after moving those cursors a bit, the content inside the input field would no longer be editable. This issue is not very easy to reproduce, but here is what I did to reproduce this issue:
    a. input some characters
    b. double tab to on the input field so you can see both start and end cursors
    c. try to drag the start cursor to the end of the input field
    After step c, you may find that double tabbing on the input field would bring up the action bar and then it disappear immediately, and the content is no longer editable, so it's somewhat related to issue 2.

5. With content type "Standard" selected, I can't place the caret position by tapping on the input field.

These issues were not presented in 1.5.7.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  46. cmbellman

cmbellman

Hello! I have had the exact same problems after upgrading from an old plugin version to latest version, I'm having a fullScreen = false app, and keyboard shows up first time, then never again. I unrared your new (from May) version of NativeKeyboard.aar and replaced it in the plugins/android folder. But after replacing it, I don't get a keyboard at all, not even first time. Device is Huawei P20 pro, running Android 8.1.0.

Steps to reproduce is just adding Screen.fullScreen = false in Awake in your "Form" scene.

Logcat error:

47. Vasilis-Mbakalis

Vasilis-Mbakalis

Hello, i've update to the latest version of this asset and now i get some warnings and some errors.
    I have two advanced input fields on my scene, and i get :

"The referenced script (TMProTextRenderer) on this Behaviour is missing!"warning comes up on every "Text","Processed" and "Placeholder" gameobject , inside "content" parent. The errors i get are :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.InitializeInputField () (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/AdvancedInputField.cs:1391)
    AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.Awake () (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/AdvancedInputField.cs:969)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.set_PlaceHolderText (System.String value) (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/AdvancedInputField.cs:846)

I tried and reimport TextMesh pro asset, but it didnt help. Can you please help me? I cant work on my project any more.I added some screen shots in case i can help you more

Attached Files:

dakimaru likes this.
  48. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Did you also add "ADVANCEDINPUTFIELD_TEXTMESHPRO" to Scripting Define symbols in Player Settings?

49. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I mostly test it with in the Android manifest that Unity uses by default. Could you try building one of the sample scenes when importing the plugin in a clean Unity project?

50. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

It should set the password/secure flags in the Android native binding when specifying password in Unity. I'll look into it.