Search Unity

Advanced Input Field

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fennecx_development, Jul 29, 2017.

1. takoy

takoy

Yes. Correct.
    Should look something like this:

Attached Files:

2. takoy

takoy

3. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Thank you for providing the information on how to implement this feature. This makes my work easier. Not sure when I'll be able to implement this since I'm currently recovering from a hospital operation, but I'll try to look into this somewhere next week.

4. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I didn't implement it natively in the plugin. Most users actually don't want that native inputfield to show. You could implement a inputfield above the keyboard at the Unity side. For example look at the Samples scenes "Modes" and "TextMeshPro/Chat".
    If you specifically want the native one, I could add it to my TODO list.

5. alexm_scp

alexm_scp

I will try it with the sample.

Thanks!

6. akeplinger

akeplinger

In WSA Tabbing between fields is not moving the cursor or giving the field focus. Working in Mac and Windows standalone, but a windows UMP build is not tabbing. No effect seems to be happening. Searched this forum for any similar bug reports.
    also, when there are many fields on the screen as in a user registration screen, I'm getting reports that keyboard entry is delayed.
    The WSA/UMP build that I am doing is 64 bit desktop only, not any of the alternate type, even x86. Betting that the problem is that Microsoft is preventing giving keyboard focus as some security step and they have a magic incantation that you need to use to allow it. Not sure. Customer is not happy.
    Thoughts? Maybe a setting change that I missed. I'm using the most up to date version of the plugin (1.9.4) and Unity 2019.3.0 - Windows

7. VRHealthMain

VRHealthMain

Hello, Your asset is great and helped me solve many problems with native input on android. I have only one issue, after the keyboard closes it makes the navigation bar open (my application is set to full screen so the navigation bar should be hidden). The only way to make it disappear is by making the app lose and regain focus. This is a major issue.

8. blamejane

blamejane

Hi, I'm interested in your asset to solve my Android Inputfield problems. Basically my inputfield has a submit "button" as well as 3 other buttons for various tasks. Only problem is on Android, when inputfield has focus, then 1 of the 4 buttons is clicked, it only manages to dismiss the keyboard, then user must click the button again to get the OnPointerClick functionality.

I want to know if your Advanced Inputfield can help in my case: here's what it looks like on iOS:

I've been working for days on this android keyboard dismissal problem, and I've finally come to realize there's nothing I can do programmatically within Unity to get the desired behavior.

Will your asset allow me to use my buttons and work correctly on Android?

Thanks.

9. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

UWP can be unstable from my experience, especially if Microsoft/Unity changes something. I've added this bug to my TODO list to investigate this further.

10. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I did add some code before to restore fullscreen settings on Android when keyboard dismisses, but I've noticed that you can enable fullscreen mode using different ways on Android, which not always get detected the same way.
    Could you show me the code or Android manifest settings you use to enable fullscreen or a small Unity project that shows this issue?

11. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

This plugin delays the actual deselect (& keyboard hide) to verify if the deselect was valid (otherwise it will reselect the inputfield and the keyboard stays onscreen). By default it will ignore deselects caused by child objects with a Selectable class and the custom Button class of the plugin.
    You can check this behaviour in the prebuilt sample Android apk "TextMeshPro/Chat.apk". Link is in the first post of this thread.

12. blamejane

blamejane

Thanks, I will give the demo a try. Sounds like it should do the trick, as llong as the button click event (OnPointerClick) is received and handled (not sure if this can be tested in the demo).

13. VRHealthMain

VRHealthMain

Hello, I only enable full screen in the unity player settings there is no other way I handle this. Attached is my manifest generated by unity. (converted to *.txt)

Attached Files:

14. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Thank you for providing the info.
    I wanted to investigate it now, but I forgot that my main Android smartphone doesn't have a navigationbar (has hardware buttons). I don't have access to my other Android devices at the moment, because I'm currently staying at another place due to christmas/new year. I'll be back at my own place on 06/01/2020, so unfortunately I need to postpone the investigation for now.

15. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I've made a patch package which you can install over version 1.9.4:
    @takoy: I've added a new property (can be set in the inspector) called "AutoFillType" to set the native AutoFill hint for a specific inputfield. Have only tested it with username and password, not with the sms code. My test iPhone doesn't have a simcard and I don't have access to all my development equipment, because I'm currently staying at another place due to christmas/new year. So could you check if this works with sms codes?

@akeplinger: Tabbing between inputfields should work on desktop UWP with this patch. (Tab key was executing other things on UWP.)

Attached Files:

16. takoy

takoy

I only now saw your reply
    I tested it with Autofill Type set to ONE_TIME_CODE on my iPhone - it didn't work :(
    Looking at your c# code didn't see any issues which might mean it's in the NativeKeyboard.a file which I don't have access to

17. blamejane

blamejane

I've purchased this advanced InputField and it works to allow me 1 click buttons, which is great.

I do need to know how to dismiss the keyboard because I have a custom "send/done" button. When clicked however the keyboard does not dismiss. I must tell it to, but how?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  18. blamejane

blamejane

Okay I figured it was correct to call ManualSelect() and ManualDeselect() which seems to work.

But I have another problem. My inputfield is contained in (a child of) a UI panel. Prior to your asset, my panel would resize with the multiline text that the user entered. That is, as the text was entered and multiple lines occurred in the input field, my panel would resize via content size fitter components. Now with this asset, InputFieldMode setting = VERTICAL_RESIZE_FIT_TEXT my panel no long adjusts. How do I go about forcing my panel to respond to the inputfield resizing?

19. StellarNebula99

StellarNebula99

Hi @jpienbro , thank you for making this great asset! I have one problem: when I set line type to "Multi Line NewLine", I can't use enter to go to a new line, doesn't work in unity or in iPhone, I use the demo scene "Form"(to be precise using its comment input field) to test this. My unity version is 2019.2.17f1, Advanced InputField version is 1.9.4, and iOS version is 13.3. Could you help me out? Thanks!

20. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I could test this today using a second sim card and found out that one time code autofill doesn't work with the native iOS control UITextView (Still weird that username and password do work with this control). I changed it that it uses the native iOS UITextField instead when specifying an Autofill Type, which does seem to work with one time codes.
    Could you verify this in your project?

Replace the NativeKeyboard.a with the one in attached zip file

Attached Files:

21. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

You can use the SizeChanged event on a AdvancedInputField instance. You can assign an event listener from the inspector (see "Modes" sample scene).
    I noticed I forgot to add the property to access it from code. So if you want to assign it from code add this to AdvancedInputField.cs:

Code (CSharp):
    2. /// <summary>Event used for size change</summary>
    3. public SizeChangedEvent OnSizeChanged
    4. {
    5.     get { return onSizeChanged; }
    6.     set { onSizeChanged = value; }
    7. }

22. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Might be something that was changed in iOS 13. I did a quick test on my iOS devices: On my iPhone with newest iOS version it doesn't add new lines, but on my old iPad with iOS 12 it does add new lines when using "Multiline NewLine". Will investigate it further tomorrow.

23. takoy

takoy

Just verified - IT WORKS!! :)

24. Becreatives

Becreatives

Hi,

i've a script that is an inactivity handler. How can i check if the keyboard is open?
    TouchScreenKeyboard.visible is not working.

Thanks in advice :)

25. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

(The TouchScreenKeyboard class is the official native keyboard binding of Unity.)
    The NativeKeyboard class is the native keyboard binding of this plugin which can be retrieved using the NativeKeyboardManager class.

So, the following should work to determine if the keyboard is currently visible:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(NativeKeyboardManager.Keyboard.State == KeyboardState.VISIBLE)
    2. {
    3. }

26. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I tried to use fullscreen mode on my test device with navigationbar (Xiaomi Mi A2) and it does seem to restore fullscreen mode after keyboard dismisses on that device. Tested using Unity 2018.4.14.

I don't really see anything strange in the AndroidManifest you send, but maybe Unity handles fullscreen on Android differently in the different version of Unity.
    What Unity version are you using?
    What Android device are you using for testing? Does it happen on multiple Android devices?
    Could you try this in a clean Unity project with only this plugin installed? (To check if other plugins are causing issues)

27. cmbellman

cmbellman

Hi! I'm getting very long delays before keyboard is shown some times, when activating a field. This started to happen some months ago, and has been working fine before. It can take five seconds before keyboard is shown. When activating the field again keyboard seem to show instantly though. I'm on plugin version 1.9.3:and Unity 2019.3 (but it was the same before I upgraded on Unity 2019.2). Phone is P20 pro and keyboard is GBoard (the google keyboard). I'm using the TMPro versions of input.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  28. bramble-operations

bramble-operations

Hi, I have a multiline input field,
    • Use case:
      • The paragraph of text is longer than the number of lines that can fit in the viewable window
      • While not in edit text mode, I scroll the text to the bottom
    • Current behaviour:
      • The text automatically scrolls back up to the top
    • Desired behaviour:
      • The text stays at whatever position it was scrolled to, even though not in edit mode, (and input field not currently in focus)

How do I achieve the desired behaviour? Thank you

29. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Fixed in latest version (1.9.5)

30. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Hmmm. I didn't notice any long delays in showing the keyboard on my main Android test devices. The only change I can think of that changed in the native show keyboard code is that it synces the text and caret position on the internal native inputfield before showing keyboard since 1.9.0. This was to avoid issues (incorrect text edits) some users were having when immediately starting typing after the native keyboard appears. I didn't notice a performance drop after this change.

Does it also happen on that device with the sample scenes of the plugin?
    It there anything specific about the inputfields it happens on (for example: inputfield with a lot of text) or is it random?

31. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

You have a valid point that it would be useful to have a option to keep the current scroll position when the inputfield loses focus. I'll see if I have a moment somewhere this week to implement this.

32. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Seems like I already implemented this before, although it was not working properly (at least in latest version of the plugin).
    To fix:
    In TextNavigator.cs change the method: UpdateCaret to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. internal virtual void UpdateCaret(TextRenderer textRenderer)
    2.         {
    3.             bool fixEmptyCaret = false;
    4.             if(textRenderer.CharacterCount == 0 || textRenderer.Text.Length == 0) //Workaround to make sure the text generator will give a correct position for the first character
    5.             {
    6.                 fixEmptyCaret = true;
    7.                 textRenderer.UpdateImmediately(" ");
    8.             }
    10.             int charIndex = Mathf.Clamp(VisibleCaretPosition, 0, textRenderer.CharacterCount - 1);
    11.             CharacterInfo charInfo = textRenderer.GetCharacterInfo(charIndex);
    12.             int lineIndex = DetermineCharacterLine(textRenderer, charIndex);
    13.             LineInfo lineInfo = textRenderer.GetLineInfo(lineIndex);
    15.             Vector2 cursorPosition = new Vector2(charInfo.position.x, lineInfo.topY);
    16.             if(VisibleCaretPosition >= textRenderer.CharacterCountVisible)
    17.             {
    18.                 cursorPosition.x += charInfo.width;
    19.             }
    21.             CaretRenderer.rectTransform.anchoredPosition = cursorPosition;
    22.             CaretRenderer.rectTransform.sizeDelta = new Vector2(InputField.CaretWidth, lineInfo.height);
    24.             if(fixEmptyCaret)
    25.             {
    26.                 textRenderer.UpdateImmediately(string.Empty);
    27.             }
    29.             if(EditMode)
    30.             {
    31.                 if(InputField.Multiline)
    32.                 {
    33.                     UpdateVerticalScrollPosition(textRenderer);
    34.                 }
    35.                 else
    36.                 {
    37.                     UpdateHorizontalScrollPosition(textRenderer);
    38.                 }
    39.             }
    40.         }
    Then you can use the property ScrollBehaviourOnTextEdit.
    upload_2020-1-15_20-26-20.png
    This setting should disable the auto scroll when losing focus.

bramble-operations likes this.
  33. Kruemelchen

Kruemelchen

upload_2020-1-16_9-5-37.png

Hi,
    I somehow have two selection handlers (screenshot: editor). Using TextMeshPro oder Unity Input doesn't matter.
    Screenshot on device (Huawei Mate Pro 10):
    upload_2020-1-16_9-10-9.png

Is this a known bug or do you need further information?

Also I would appreciate if you could provide also some assembly definition files per default :)

34. Kruemelchen

Kruemelchen

Seems like the FrontRenderer and the CurrentCursor don't match their positions. Also the Copy/Paste-Buttons are misplaced. When I run a sample scene, everything works, but I don't know yet why

Edit: I found out. The parent object has another pivot position than 0.5, 0.5 (but 0, 0.5)
    The CanvasFrontRenderer calculates its rectTransform.anchoredPosition wrong then

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  35. bramble-operations

bramble-operations

Thanks! that did the trick :)

36. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

I could reproduce the issue with the Copy/Paste buttons positions. Seems like it's always in horizontal center (even if not all options of that bar are enabled/visible). So I'll try to make a fix to make it position above the current cursor while still keeping all the buttons visible onscreen.

Still not sure what's different in your scene and the sample scene in regards to the FrontRenderer. That script should sync the local cursor (child of InputField instance) with the one in front (child of Canvas) based on their world rect, so different anchoring shouldn't really matter.

37. Kruemelchen

Kruemelchen

@jpienbro I had a different pivot position than 0.5/0.5 on my parent canvas (because I had an rotational animation for a slide in effect ). This led the FrontRenderer to be misplaced due to wrong calculated local position relative to its parent canvas :)

38. AmericoSousa

AmericoSousa

I'm having problems using pair tags change color and fonts.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. inputField.ToggleTagPair("<font=\"AustinNewsDeck-BoldItalic_SDF\">", "</font>");
    After using the tags if i try to delete the text form the end using backspace i get the error:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and count must refer to a location within the string.

39. takoy

takoy

I have an issue with the emojis caret position.
    Attached are screenshots of what happens.
    Basically the caret position is off after we start adding emojis (1 or more). After that, it doesn't update once we add more emojis or characters. Any ideas?

Note: currently only on iOS

Attached Files:

40. daniels_unity416

daniels_unity416

Hi

I'm interested in your asset but wondering whether you support different language inputs such as Chinese, Korean or Japanese.

Thank you

41. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Asian IME's are not supported at the moment.

42. Jochanan

Jochanan

Hi, i have found this stacktrace in our automatic log reporting system. Unfortunatelly, there are no line numbers...

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and count must refer to a location within the string.Parameter name: count
    Code (CSharp):
    1. System.String.Remove (System.Int32 startIndex, System.Int32 count) (at <c044b30621b545ab8aaed051a9ff936b>:0)
    2. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.TextManipulator.DeleteSelection () (at <a92a5fd3c48a414fbbecefac38712b09>:0)
    3. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.TextManipulator.Insert (System.String input) (at <a92a5fd3c48a414fbbecefac38712b09>:0)
    4. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.TextManipulator.TryInsertChar (System.Char c) (at <a92a5fd3c48a414fbbecefac38712b09>:0)
    5. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.StandaloneTextInputHandler.ProcessKeyboardEvent (UnityEngine.Event keyboardEvent) (at <a92a5fd3c48a414fbbecefac38712b09>:0)
    6. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.StandaloneTextInputHandler.Process () (at <a92a5fd3c48a414fbbecefac38712b09>:0)
    7. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.OnUpdateSelected (UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <a92a5fd3c48a414fbbecefac38712b09>:0)
    8. UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IUpdateSelectedHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <fe30cf7b8e244803b772811c92186c2e>:0)
    9. UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <fe30cf7b8e244803b772811c92186c2e>:0)
    10. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
    We are using version 1.9.4.
    Do you have any idea whats the cause of it? I have seen it for the first time. Can it be fixed?

43. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

As far as I could tell from your log: It happend on a Standalone platform when trying to clear current selection before inserting a character.
    So for some reason it has an invalid selection. I tried to reproduce it on Standalone using different ways to change current selection and then trying to type a a character, but couldn't trigger that error.
    It would help if I would know how I could trigger the error and/or what the settings were on the AdvancedInputField instance that triggered it.

44. akeplinger

akeplinger

On iOS getting an error in PostProcessBuild.cs (AIF version 1.9.3)
    Unity Ads updated to 3.4.2, in case that is related in some way.
    PBXProject.GetUnityTargetName() is obsolete.
    This is on Unity 2019.3.0f5
    Anybody else getting this? I didn't get it before. I tried changing this to:
    project.TargetGuidByName(PBXProject.GetUnityTestTargetName());

After making that change I can compile, but in the Xcode build I get a crash as soon as I tap into a field:
    2020-02-11 10:42:26.483506-0500 mmro[910:126589] Uncaught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException: +[NSString fromUnityString:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x1e74df018

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  45. akeplinger

akeplinger

Not being familiar with the PBXProject, it took a little while figure out what to do:
    Replaced Line 24 with:
    string target = project.GetUnityMainTargetGuid();
    Now it's working.

BjoUnity3d likes this.
  46. fennecx_development

fennecx_development

Thank you for sharing the fix. Seems like Unity replaced that specific method with another method in Unity 2019.3. I'll include the fix in next release using the preprocessor #if UNITY_2019_3_OR_NEWER.

47. Jochanan

Jochanan

Hello, i do not have these information, but i will let you know if i collect more data.

48. unity_6fK-bmGo_PukJg

unity_6fK-bmGo_PukJg

Hello! As I see someone has verified that the OneTimePassword works on iOS (OTP, OneTimeCode, the hint above the keyboard when the sms with a code received). What about Android?
    Only thing that I need is to give the user ability use code from sms on both plaftorms just taping on the hint when the sms is received. Could I get a demo of the asset to check it before purchase?

49. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Just purchased your asset. I initially was reviewing it with iOS as the build platform. When I switched to PC Windows I started getting errors on play (Unity 2019.3.1f1)

I believe Windows desktop is supported? I am using the TextMeshPro version.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NotImplementedException: This type of Text Renderer is not configured, please check the ReadMe for instructions.
    2. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.TextRenderer.set_Multiline (System.Boolean value) (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/TextRenderer.cs:74)
    3. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.InitializeInputField () (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/AdvancedInputField.cs:2156)
    4. AdvancedInputFieldPlugin.AdvancedInputField.Awake () (at Assets/Plugins/Advanced Input Field/Scripts/InputField/AdvancedInputField.cs:1272)
    5. UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
    6. NoteScreen:OpenNote(String, String) (at Assets/Auriculo Core/Scripting/GUI/NoteScreen.cs:78)
    7. NoteScreen:OpenNote() (at Assets/Auriculo Core/Scripting/GUI/NoteScreen.cs:68)
    8. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update() (at D:/Program Files/Software/Unity/2019.3.1f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:377)
    Edit: I forgot that the defines have to entered per platform.

Also most if not all of your demo scenes are setup to work with a phone in portrait mode, do you forsee any issues using this on a tablet in landscape mode?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  50. ibyte

ibyte

Unity 2019.3.1f1

Upon doing an xcode build and run the input field scrolling is working nicely but the action bar shows with no text?

Aside from this working with your built in edit controls, are native edit controls an option?

Glenn

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020