Search Unity

Advanced - Expert Unity/C# tutorials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shack_Man, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Can anyone recommend some Unity/C# tutorials that are geared towards intermediate users that want to reach expert level? I've reached a point where I feel like wasting my time watching the vast majority of tutorials, yet there is so much to learn.

Doesn't have to be free, but at least affordable :)

2. Iceboundjester8

Iceboundjester8

are you looking for just how to use the engine and understand how c# works or are you wanting a certain game type?

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

If you're actually in the intermediate level then there probably aren't any "general" Unity tutorials for you any more. You will want to look-up specific topics and features that you want to learn.

4. mgear

mgear

5. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Thanks, that looks awesome. I think that site serves as a good gateway to get into more advanced topics.

6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Sharp Accent. He's got content to keep you busy for years. All of it's pretty advanced stuff. He has active discord too where people are asking questions and getting answers.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Tutorials get you from noob to medium.

To get from medium to expert you need experience in real projects, facing real problems. There are no tutorials here. Just heavy use of the documentation.

Joe-Censored, vakabaka, Amon and 4 others like this.
  8. frosted

frosted

There's also a lot of different levels of expert. For professional work, "senior" developers usually have around 5 years of working experience. They're usually not really expert. I guess its like various degrees of blackbelt, but there really is a significant difference at the 5 and 10 year mark.

I hate to be a boomer, but I think that if you really want to start digging into advanced topics - books are probably better. Videos can be good, but books generally make sure to round you out and be more thorough. They're also much faster to reference and jump around.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

I totally agree with reading books, even after hundreds of hours of Unity tutorials it was totally worth my time reading through "C# in a nutshell" . Currently I'm reading Agile Development in C#, but I just started it.

I also feel like books are often targeted at more advanced users, while youtube/udemy etc. aims at beginners. The guy from brackeys once said on a podcast that making in depth tutorials just wasn't worth it because the view count dropped.

There are some advanced youtube channels ones though, like Jason Weiman or Sebastian Lague (who sadly seems to be drifting towards entertaining, not educating in favor of views).

I'll check out more stuff from sharp accent.

10. RendrWyre

RendrWyre

Have you considered Unity Learn Premium? (https://unity.com/products/learn-premium) it might be a good start but (IMO) to reach expert level you need to move past the tutorial phase of learning where somebody shows you, step-by-step, how to accomplish an end goal. The best way to start doing this is by setting your own end goal and building up the knowledge yourself.

For example, maybe you want to create a really advanced ocean system. Good luck finding a decent tutorial. However, you can start to piece this stuff together.

maybe you find an existing system with source code that gives you a starting base.
    - https://github.com/crest-ocean/crest

and then you find a paper about implementing water technology by Naughty Dog.
    - https://cgzoo.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/water-technology-of-uncharted-gdc-2012.pdf

or maybe you find a paper about how to create volumetric caustics.
    - https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026161/Ray-Traced-Water-Caustics-with

There might be some outliers where somebody gives a tutorial on a really advanced topic but they are very uncommon. The people with the knowledge to make those tutorials don't find it worth the effort because their knowledge allows them to earn much more money working for a studio 40+ hours a week.

The people with advanced knowledge often release research papers, not youtube videos.

profitdefiant and frosted like this.
  11. lloydv

lloydv

Tutorials don't go to expert. The people who would be capable of teaching that kind of tutorial have better things to do.

I'd say your next step is to check out other people's source code on github. If you're good enough then you'll be able to learn bits and pieces from them just like you previously did in tutorials, and it'll also give you good perspective on whether you're actually as good as you think you are.

Olmi, Joe-Censored and frosted like this.
  12. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Look for non Unity-specific content - they are easily transferable once you understand them. Of course that only work if you already have something in mind that you want to do - there's no "become expert" tutorial.

Olmi likes this.
  13. frosted

frosted

This is a really great point!

Just reading other people's code is the true advanced tutorial. Figuring out how something works can teach you so much.

Olmi likes this.
  14. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Thanks for all the replies! I will look through more code, maybe assets from the store might be a good place to look? Let me know if you have other suggestions. I actually asked where to find great code in a Jason Weiman live stream, he pointed me to uncle Bob's site, but I'd be more interested in Unity implementations.