Search Unity

► Advanced Dissolve ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Dissolve amount is just a regular slider parameter inside material. You can modify it for any number of materials.

Amazing Assets - YouTube Facebook Twitter

2. DreamWayAssets

DreamWayAssets

I'd like to test the preview version of HDRP version, how can I get it?

3. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Send me asset purchase invoice using support e-mail (support@amazingassets.world)

4. FireEmberStudio

FireEmberStudio

Hi!, sorry for bothering but I couldn't find how to implement this feature. constructing and deconstructing an already made model. It's simple but I can't find how to change the property of the material and how to configure direction like in the video. Or with the ball just dissapearing upload_2021-1-21_19-10-29.png
    upload_2021-1-21_18-52-10.png
    upload_2021-1-21_19-10-29.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Use dynamic plane mask.

6. FireEmberStudio

FireEmberStudio

Thank you for your quick response! your asset it's great. Do I have to enable some keys to just dissolve the sphere? I'm trying to change the property "DissolveRange" but it doesn't seem to work

7. Cris_2013

Cris_2013

Hi, I am using the URP Unlit shader in one of the materials, where I have a diffuse white texture and I would like to control the color from C#, how can I achieve that?
    Many thanks

8. mchung123

mchung123

Hey does this work with materials with non-standard shaders? I am using a custom shader with that material, and I am having trouble setting this up to dissolve

9. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check ReadMe file inside Doc folder, it will help to create basic dissolve shader and guide you through all shader settings.

You can change material color using Unity Material.SetColor method, property name is
    _DissolveEdgeColor

Check ReadMe file inside Doc folder, it will help to create basic dissolve shader and guide you through all shader settings.

10. mchung123

mchung123

I did, my object already has materials, and its using another shader not the URP lit shader. This doesn't seem like it works with other shaders. I am using a toon shader and it doesn't seem to work with that. What am I looking for exactly in the docs, I got the basics working on objects that don't use my shader.

11. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You want to use this Advanced Dissolve shader together with other shader? You can't do it.

12. mchung123

mchung123

Thats what I figured, I guess what I will do, is transfer all my materials over to that shader perform the animation then transfer them back

13. adamwilliamwork

adamwilliamwork

I'm using XYZ Axis Mask (Z, inverted) dissolve. I use an animation to adjust the offset value and make an object dissolve at a specific moment.

In scene view, I have the offset values set to a number whereby the object has not dissolved at all. However, when I push play, the object is partially dissolved during all animations which contain no offset property values.

How do I keep the offset values at the scene view value during playmode, when no animation is adjusting them?

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check scripts used in the scene, seems someone affect shader settings.

15. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

16. hasseyg

hasseyg

Hi, I was using this asset in my project and i was previously able to set the emission color via script and it worked fine. However now I have upgraded the project to use Unity 2020.2.2, setting the emission color via script doesn't seem to work any more. The color changes in the inspector but it doesn't change visually in the scene view. I have also noticed that setting it in the inspector also doesn't work. Has the ability to do this been removed?

In addition to this the ambient occlusion is not working either, when previously it was.

thanks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If you are adjusting color using previous scripts, it does not work. Update 2021.1 is completely new asset and it is not compatible with previous versions.
    All shaders properties (including color and emission) of course can be modified from script, but using new API.
    I'd suggest to go through Manual file (Documentation folder) explaining all new features and how they work. The last chapter Runtime API (page 31) even contains examples exactly for color and emission modifications.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  18. hasseyg

hasseyg

Hi, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I am using the URP package. I tried to look for the manual file you referred to, but I could not find it in either of the 3 packages. However there is a folder named 'Doc' that contains a file called 'ReadMe.pdf', but it only has 19 pages and no chapter called 'Runtime API'.

For the ambient occlusion I was referring to the use of an ambient occlusion map and not post processing.

thanks

19. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update to the latest version.
    Remove asset from the project, clear Asset Store cache folder and re-download package.

20. hasseyg

hasseyg

Hi, following your instructions solved my problems. The ambient occlusion map is now working and I am able to change the emission at runtime.

thanks

21. Vaupell

Vaupell

Prebuy question: how is the disolve controlled? by slider input? Can i do script input or Unity Event input?

I am looking for a "cleaning/rinse" effect, cleaning dirt of something, so i was thinking adding the target object with a copy of itself (scaled +0.1) with a dirty material, then slowly disolve the "outer" object, until completely disolved.

22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Dissolve amount is a slider parameter inside material editor. It can be controlled from custom script using unity Material.SetFloat method or with included API.

Vaupell likes this.
  23. Vaupell

Vaupell

Perfect, you just sold yourself another copy.. <3

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Asset description on the store contains link to the documentation. Check it before purchase.

25. Redrag

Redrag

Does this work with moving and rotating objects? ( so if I have an aeroplane flying along with its nose cone dissolved)

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Like Adams in this video? Yes.
    upload_2021-2-26_15-46-30.png

27. Redrag

Redrag

The guy on the left? Yes if he is able to move around and rotate! Just looked at the video and it seems he is just walking into a disolve. I want the disolve to move with him.

So actually - no!

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

In the video it does not rotate, just moves forward. If it rotates 180° back side of its body becomes dissolved.

29. Redrag

Redrag

What I need is the disolve to move with the object. What if I want the the back of the guys head missing all the time? As he moves around, the dissolve must move with him. when I have a plane flying with a missing nose cone it must move and rotate with the aeroplane.

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, dissolve 'plane' can move with object.

31. Redrag

Redrag

So to be clear, if I have a mesh and move AND ROTATE it, the dissolve will move and rotate as well? (I am asking this as all the examples you show are fixed objects, not moving objects).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  32. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It is very easy.
    1) Enable Geometric Cutout with Plane type inside shader.
    2) For updating Plane cutout you have to use Controller Script, yes? So, just drag & drop that plane object from controller script into your mesh hierarchy. As it is just a common transform object, it will follow your character as any other objects will do.
    3) Inside controller script make sure Plane # variable has assigned your 'character following plane' object.

33. Redrag

Redrag

I have purchased and at the moment I am very impressed. On integrating with my project through, I have found that when I add a geometric controller to a prefab, it is placed outside the prefab hierarchy. As I want the controller to move with the prefab could you let me know how I can do this?

34. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Controller is just a scrip, that sends cutout object data to the materials. This script can be added manually to a mesh, or it can be assigned to an independent object.
    As I understand you need not controller script, but cutout object to follow our mesh, yes? Script will read that cutout object data (position, normal direction, etc) and update materials. You can make cutout object part of your object hierarchy and it will follow it.
    If both controller script and cutout object are part of one hierarchy, it should not be a problem to set them up and make part of the prefab.
    If script and cutout object are separated, you have to write simple script that will assign cutout object (from character hierarchy) to the controller script when you need it.
    Something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. using AmazingAssets.AdvancedDissolve;
    7. public class NewBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     public AdvancedDissolveGeometricCutoutController controller;
    10.     public Transform cutoutObject_1;
    11.     public Transform cutoutObject_2;
    13.     void Start()
    14.     {
    15.         //Using "cutoutObject_1" in the GeometricCutoutController as the first (ID: One) object to read data from
    16.         controller.SetTargetStartPointTransform(AdvancedDissolveKeywords.CutoutGeometricCount.One, cutoutObject_1);
    19.         //If both script and materials are set up to use 2 cutout objects.
    20.         //Using "cutoutObject_2" in the GeometricCutoutController as the second (ID: Two) object to read data from.  
    21.         controller.SetTargetStartPointTransform(AdvancedDissolveKeywords.CutoutGeometricCount.Two, cutoutObject_2);
    22.     }
    23. }

Note, Controller scripts displayed inside material editor are not part of a shader or material. It is just an editor helper to visualize if any controller scripts in the scene are affecting material.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  35. Redrag

Redrag

Thank you. I have now got the prefab linked up. However instancing or use of the prefab doesn't work. A new prefab always references the original controller. I guess I will try assigning like your example above.

EDIT: So I think when using (instantiating) prefabs, it must be necessary to create material instances. In which case I need to assign the controller to the shader in script. I can't see how to do that though...

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You can already have controller script in the scene, with required setup.
    When you instantiate object just assign cutout object (from your hierarchy) to the controller script and add mesh dissolve material(s) into the same controller script materials array.
    In this way controller script will read cutout object data and send them into the materials.

Concept of using controller script + cutout object, is that material editor can not display all properties requiring for geometric cutouts.
    Script is used to read data from cutout objects (position, scale, rotation, normal direction, etc) and send that data to the materials.
    This is standard and common Unity solution for updating materials using script. You can even write your own scripts and update materials in your desired format.
    Some of Unity API methods for updating materials from script: Material.SetFloat, Material.SetColor, Material.SetVector. You can find complete list in Material class.

37. Redrag

Redrag

I understand all that. Its not about assigning the target to the controller. The problem is assigning the controller to the material.

Here is a prefab with a cutout:
    upload_2021-3-2_8-10-45.png

When I drag a new prefab into the scene, the material sees two controllers:
    upload_2021-3-2_8-11-20.png

I can create a material instance. But I can see no way of assigning the correct controller to the material.

Attached Files:

38. Redrag

Redrag

So here I have created a material instance and manually assigned the correct controller. Just need a way to do it in script!
    upload_2021-3-2_8-25-25.png

39. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You do not (and can not) assign script to the material.
    As I wrote above, controller script is not part of a material or shader. Material editor just helps you by displaying which controller affects current material.

You need one controller script in the scene for specific geometric cutout. All you have to do is add required materials into Materials array of a script.

Using multiple controller scripts is necessary only when you have materials with different geometric cutouts. For example one group of materials are using Sphere cutout, second group Plane and so on.

If you have multiple similar controller scripts updating same materials, this may create unpredictable affect, as all of them will try to update materials simultaneously, and you do not need it. Material editor detects such situations and displays warning message to help you.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  40. Redrag

Redrag

OK, I understand. Is there any reason the controller has a maximum of 4 slots?

41. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Shaders support only 4 geometric cutout objects.

42. igoraleftinovich

igoraleftinovich

Hi! Is it possible to use custom mesh as a mask?

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Custom shape can not be used as it is almost not possible to describe them inside shader mathematically.

44. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

I'm getting a number of errors while using the asset with HDRP in Unity 2020.3.1f1 (Latest LTS).
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Amazing Assets/Advanced Dissolve/Shader Graph/Metallic (Cutout)': undeclared identifier 'IsGammaSpace' at line 4832 (on d3d11)

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Just tested with HDRP 10.4.0 and at my side here are no errors.

Try regenerating that shader:
    1) Select source ShaderGraph file and then inside Inspector window click on Copy Shader button:
    upload_2021-3-27_0-11-0.png

2) Now select Metallic (Cutout) shader (not ShaderGraph file) and from context menu choose Amazing Assets -> Advanced Dissolve -> Generate Shader option:
    upload_2021-3-27_0-19-51.png

3) This will regenerate Metallic (Cutout) shader using currently used HDRP version.

This way you can always update any shader included in the HDRP package.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    cygnusprojects likes this.
  46. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Works like a charm, thanks!

47. Beloudest

Beloudest

Hi I'm struggling to import due to keyword limits, this asset is clocking quite high at 46. Will converting them to local keywords likely break the functionality?

48. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Shader keywords are explained in Manual file page 29.
    This is the only difference and limitation related to the Unity 2018.4 version.

49. Beloudest

Beloudest

I am using 2019.4.17f and I am still seeing Max number (256) shader errors when importing. Not sure unity is handling it correctly. Should I not see any errors? Thanks

Not to worry I managed to squeeze it into the project anyway. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  50. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Did you just upgrade project from Unity 2018.4 to 2019.4? If yes, then there may be such errors as shader keywords in that project was used as Global.
    In fresh Unity 2019.4 project there should not be such problem.