Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► Advanced Dissolve ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Whatever560

Whatever560

You now what ... HDRP is so not ready that we'll probably keep with built in pipeline for release. So just keep up your good work and we'll may be ask for how to integrate the actual version with some shaders, do you think it'll be easy to support something like the UBER shader, or https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/directx-11/pro-car-paint-shader-102063, by keeping both nice GUI ?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    jashan likes this.
  2. Srokaaa

Srokaaa

3. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  4. masta-yoda

masta-yoda

Hello there! The shader is great and I love the way you can apply dissolve using other 3d objects! I'm trying to apply it to my dead characters, to dissolve their bodies before respawning and it works great in Unity Play Mode, but when I build an app, it fails to render dissolve. I have enabled plane visualization for debugging purposes:

Works using the Unity Studio Play Mode (time 0:27):

Doesn't work once build and run as a standalone windows/android app (time 2:59):

My script lives in a very simple prefab "DissolvePlane" which moves from the initial point to the final point when the player is dead:

upload_2020-11-5_17-52-9.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class DissolvePlaneController : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     private float _dissolveTimer;
    4.     private float _dissolveSpeed;
    5.     private Renderer _targetRenderer;
    6.     private Vector3 _initialPosition;
    7.     private Vector3 _finalPosition;
    9.     public GameObject Target;
    10.     public Transform InitialTransform;
    11.     public Transform FinalTransform;
    13.     private void Awake()
    14.     {
    15.         _initialPosition = InitialTransform.localPosition;
    16.         _finalPosition = FinalTransform.localPosition;
    18.     }
    20.     public void CopyTargetMaterials()
    21.     {
    22.         if (Target == null)
    23.             return;
    25.         _targetRenderer = Target.GetComponentInChildren<Renderer>();
    26.         if (_targetRenderer == null)
    27.             return;
    29.         _targetRenderer.sharedMaterial = Instantiate(_targetRenderer.sharedMaterial);
    30.         _targetRenderer.sharedMaterial.DisableKeyword("_DISSOLVEMASK_NONE");
    31.         _targetRenderer.sharedMaterial.EnableKeyword("_DISSOLVEMASK_PLANE");
    32.         DisableMaterialDissolveMask();
    33.     }
    35.     private void Update()
    36.     {
    37.         UpdateDissolve();
    38.     }
    40.     private void UpdateDissolve()
    41.     {
    42.         if (_targetRenderer == null || _dissolveSpeed <= 0f || _dissolveTimer <= 0f)
    43.             return;
    45.         _dissolveTimer -= Time.deltaTime;
    47.         if (_dissolveTimer > 0f)
    48.         {
    49.             var dissolveProgress = 1 - _dissolveTimer / _dissolveSpeed;
    50.             transform.localPosition = Vector3.Lerp(_initialPosition, _finalPosition, dissolveProgress);
    51.             ApplyMaterialDissolveMask();
    52.         }
    53.         else
    54.         {
    55.             DisableMaterialDissolveMask();
    56.         }
    57.     }
    59.     private void DisableMaterialDissolveMask()
    60.     {
    61.         transform.localPosition = new Vector3(0, 100, 0);
    62.         ApplyMaterialDissolveMask();
    63.     }
    65.     private void ApplyMaterialDissolveMask()
    66.     {
    67.         if (_targetRenderer == null)
    68.             return;
    70.         var targetMaterial = _targetRenderer.sharedMaterial;
    71.         targetMaterial.SetVector("_DissolveMaskPosition", transform.position);
    72.         targetMaterial.SetVector("_DissolveMaskNormal", -transform.up);
    73.     }
    75.     public void StartDissolve(float dissolveSpeed)
    76.     {
    77.         _dissolveTimer = _dissolveSpeed = dissolveSpeed;
    78.     }
    79. }
    Is it a known issue? What could be possibly wrong in a built app?

5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Plane mask needs shader keyword "_DISSOLVEMASK_PLANE". And it seems in the build this keyword does not exist.
    When Unity builds project it checks scene materials and shader keywords used there, and includes only them. Other keywords are not included. Unity does not check keyword activation from script.

Solution: Include all required shader keywords in build. This can be done by creating shader variants collection or just create dummy material in the scene with the same setup, properties and keywords.

Amazing Assets - YouTube Facebook Twitter

masta-yoda likes this.
  6. mattxreality

mattxreality

Why would it be that when I hit play in the Unity Editor my Advanced Dissolve Mask Count goes from FOUR to ONE? I can change it back to FOUR during runtime, but I don't know why it resets to ONE.

(UPDATE - SOLUTION 11/12/2021: For anyone experiencing this problem, I found that the solution was with the Mask Controller script. Even though I had set the material to FOUR masks, the controller was still set to ONE. Once I updated the Mask Controller script with the correct mask count, my materials had the correct mask count when in PLAY mode. Hope this helps)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check scene scripts, may be mask count it changed there. For example included MaskController scripts do that in Start() function.

8. julianr

julianr

Hi! Nice asset - just purchased - not used it yet, but plan to in the next few days. How would I go about making it so that the player would fall through one of the alpha holes created? As technically its still there, with collision enabled.(example: the house shown in the screenshots)/video.

I know I could use something like col.gameObject.GetComponent<MeshCollider>().enabled = false; but what would I need to detect that part of the material is missing?

This looks interesting if it can be applied to the area missing. Unless there is an easier way?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  9. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Hi! I am happy owner of the advanced dissolve shader! Now I need it to get running on Oculus Quest 2. Somehow I get a strange issue....

This happens, when I activate the dissolve shader on that cube in the middle (pictures below).
    The Arena around it loses a bunch of information. The only thing that it seems to have left are the occlusion maps, which are seen. everything else, shadow, lightmap information (tested that as well), specular, etc... get's lost, as soon as I activate the dissolve shader with the plane method. (one plane! shader is also switched to "one plane" > "only mask"

The cube, with the dissolve shader instead, still carries all the material & shadow information. btw, I tested these also with lightmaps. With lightmaps everything gets even worse. The whole area gets almost white.

Screenshots are taken from Oculus Quest.2 headset.
    with.jpg
    and this how it should look like.
    When I deactivate the dissolve shader & the plane script, by switching to the standard URP lit shader, everything gets to normal. without.jpg

I tested that with different Unity 2019.x LTS versions, as well with Unity 2020.1x.
    There are no special extras in the test projects that arose due to this problem. A mesh with textures, a cube and the dissolve shader, oculus integration, xr integration to deploy on oculus quest 2.

Any clue? Thanks in advance!

10. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Shader is just an instruction for the GPU describing in what color pixel on the screen should be displayed.
    Shaders (materials) and Physics are two completely different worlds and they do not interact. However in some cases it is possible, but it is completely up to you to coordinate shader and physics data updating from custom scripts. In the case of a Dynamic Mask feature it is a little bit easier as you already have sphere or box objects used as a mask inside shader. Add mesh collider to those objects and make them to be the Trigger. Every time player enters that trigger do whatever you need.

Your problem may be related to the Unity shader keywords and how they get into a build project.
    Plane mask requires keyword. In editor it is enabled/disabled from material editor and effect is instantly visible. However if you change keywords in builds, you have to make sure those keywords are included in that build, otherwise it has unpredictable result.

When Unity builds a project it check scenes active materials and their keywords and includes only them to a build, all other shader keywords are completely ignored, even if they are manipulated from script.
    To make sure required keyword is inside build: 1) Create shader variants collection or 2) just create dummy material with all required properties and keywords and use it in a scene.

julianr likes this.
  11. julianr

julianr

Thanks! I understand how the asset works now that I've tried it. I decided to create a non breakable mesh, and pre-shatter the objects, applying the shader effects in between.

12. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Hallo, purchased advanced dissolve and got it working quite easily - good documentation to get started. Two questions

1. After importing the package into my project some meshes using urp/lit got weird colors salmon pink (not the pink when using builtin-shaders with urp) and one mesh was entirely pure white. Removing the "advanced dissolve"-folder, restarting the project turned it back to normal - and copying "advanced dissolve" back in everything remained fine. Not sure what happened (anyone else experience this)? Will report back if I find a repro-case or run into it again.

2. I have Amplitude Shader Editor shaders and obviously would like to use these with advanced dissolve. A few posts ago someone was also asking for this, and progress? Or is it possible to manually add it with ASE shaders?

The effect itself looks really cool, going to experiment more with it now.

Thanks!

Rensoburro_Taki likes this.
  13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

1. May be imported shaders just has not finished compiled. Mostly such problem is easily fixed forcing asset re-import(refresh) from context menu.
    2. ASE integration unfortunately can not be done.

14. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

To be absolutely clear, it's not possible to add it as an ase-node? or not at all (manually editing the generated shader)? (if it can be "manually" added to an existing shader, any examples / documentation how to get started) ?

15. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It's not possible to add it as an ASE node and no documentation for custom shader integration (as it is not advertised).
    However you can try to manually adjust generated ASE shader. Check included Unlit shader (in Built-in RP package). You will have to:
    1) Add Advanced Dissolve material properties (in Unlit shader those are on lines 23-86);
    2) Add Advanced Dissolve keywords and include paths (lines 121-133);
    3) Declare ADVANCED_DISSOLVE_DATA in vertex structure (line 155);
    4) Initialize ADVANCED_DISSOLVE_INIT_DATA in vertex stage( line 181);
    5) Calculate dissolve albedo, emission and blend values in fragment stage (line 189-195);
    6) Blend shader base albedo and emission with dissolve values (lines 209 and 216);
    7) Add Advanced Dissolve custom material editor (that will display AD material properties and help manage AD keywords);

Note, in new update (planed release in two weeks) above implementation will not work as code is greatly changed.

16. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Thank you for giving a starting point, I'll give it a try.

17. nir11

nir11

18. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

The cube in the middle, of the 1st screenshot is has your shader on it and dissolves, if you look. So the shader is on an object in the scene. So, what you say, that a dummy object with the material shall be in the scene, can't be it then.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  19. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

From screenshot I see that material has no Plane Mask keyword in build.
    If you control dissolve properties from script and enable/disable keywords from there. Unity will not include those keywords in build.
    Do you use any scripts for controlling dissolve? Do those scripts enable/disable keywords?

20. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Ok, else. If you see the dissolve effect working in the build, which you see - then the shader must be included, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the dissolve effect happening in the screenshot/build, because there is a mask plane that is dissolving the cube! I use shader control, and there is nothing that tells me, that this shader isn't loaded. No sign no where.

21. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

That's exactly what happens..... there is a flaw! no one can tell me..... and it's the same behavior, just I have it permanently! Make a android build and I swear it is there also everything white. That issue shouldn't come up just when importing and using in editor, which you had, and I have, and as soon as you do something, it comes back, somehow. All caused by one shader. Why other shaders don't make problems? URP LUX for example.

rboerdijk likes this.
  22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

That is very strange. Does the problem exist if not using Dynamic Masks? Can you try basic Dissolve shader setup with just one custom map for Cutout source. What happens when you activate it?

Additionally one more question. What happens if mesh use URP/Lit shader and you enable Alpha Cutout effect from script (not Dissolve shader, but the same URP/Lit)? Does it affect environment rendering too?

23. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

First impression, so diff between \Assets\VacuumShaders\Advanced Dissolve\Shaders\Basic\Lit.shader and Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@8.2.0\Shaders\Lit.shader shows the differences were made to to the original Lit.shader to create the Dissolve shader.
    1. The Advanced Dissolve material properties
    2. The Dissolve keyword for each pass, and the include paths which is always referencing an original under "Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/*.hlsl", followed by AdvancedDissolve.cginc, followed by including a customized *.hlsl (based on the original Library shader), e.g. LitMetaPass.hlsl.
    3-6. These can can then be found in the LitMetaPass (declare/init of dissolvedata, calculate ambedo emission, blend)
    7. No idea yet what/how this is.

Now taking this to an ASE-shader, first glance:
    1. Adding the properties under the properties tag..
    2. We'd need to include "AdvancedDissolve.cginc", not sure if that's allowed (other includes are *.hlsl)
    3. Adding ADVANCED_DISSOLVE_DATA in the VertexInput ( one for each pass for ASE-shaders, and they look different for each pass, e.g. the VertexInput for the ShadowCaster-pass doesn't have the UV's defined (so what to pass into the advanced_dissolve_init_data... (?)
    4. Adding ADVANCED_DISSOLVE_INIT_DATA in each pass, in the VertexFunction.. note that the VertexInputs are different, so we don't always have uv's. We can probably use positionCS for the vertexInput.positionCS, and I guess texcoord for input.uv.xy and maybe texcoord1 for input.lightmapUV.xy ( but they might be defined entirely different, no clue)... but unlike with the Unity shaders stuff has to be done in each pass.
    ... and from here merge in the rest in shaders which look quite a bit different.

That's not for the faint of hearth, and with an update coming soon which "greatly changes the code" it doesn't really make sense to continue at this point.

24. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Ha, got the weird color change again. Definitely haven't seen that before adding "Advanced Dissolve" to the project, didn't upgrade unity either (on 2019.4.8f1 with urp 7.4.3).

The gate is obviously affected, but also the little spaceship has a white 'gloss' over it.

upload_2020-11-25_22-25-45.png
    Switching the shader from urp/lit to urp/simplelit shows the expected colors. Changing it back first time worked. Then had the exact same issue again (model while) and this time switching it to simplelit and then back make it white again.

Enabling AlphaClipping in the URP/Lit shader fixes it, and then disabling AlphaClipping the colors were still correct. Not sure if it'll behave like this every time.

25. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If it were a bug in Advanced Dissolve shader it would be a constant, not permanent. Also can not find logical explanation why one shader not effecting any Engine rendering resource, can create such artifacts for the entire scene o_O.
    Tend to think it some kind of bug somewhere in: Unity rending core - shader compiler - URP version.
    As I am not able to reconstruct it at my side, can you try just delete all folders inside Advanced Dissolve\Shaders folder except cginc, URP and SubGraph and try to use shaders generated by ShaderGraph.

New update with completely rewritten code and shaders will be available soon. I hope this problem will be fixed.

26. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

Yeah, agreed, it is weird. Having one object with your dissolve-shader shouldn't affect a random other object which is using a standard unity shader.
    As if the "last caller" sets some state and the next one forgets to initialize it and uses whatever was set - which is semi-random depending on some weird factor (camera direction/location or whatever) - but that's just guessing. I am however sure it appeared first after adding "Advanced Dissolve" so in some way this is exposing that issue. And apparently there's another person experiencing the same (which admitted could be pure coincidence), so there must be some (obscure) connection.

Maybe the big update will not trigger it anymore, we'll see...

27. julianr

julianr

I had the same issue. It stripped off the tree shader on Speed Trees. I restored from a backup just in case it wasn't related. I'll try it again after backing up again, but it takes a while on a 200 gig project. It may have just been a compile issue, or where I've exceeded the amount of global shaders that I then change to local.

28. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

With the folders you specified moved "out of the way" and using the default URP/Lit (freshly started):
    dissolve-urp.png
    Now doing nothing else, except but moving these folders back (still using the default URP/lit shader):
    dissolve-using.png

At this point moving the folders "out of the way" again, the model remains pink (weird, you'd expect it to fix itself again).

Exiting the project, and starting it up again, everything fine (like in the top screenshot).

Moving the folders back, and it switches back to pink again (like in the 2nd pink screenshot).

At this point changing "URP/lit" shader of the ship to "/Advanced Dissolve/URP/Lit" and the ship is correct, but the gate remains pink.
    upload_2020-11-26_22-45-18.png

Exit the project, and starting it up again, ship is normal and the gate remains pink (weird, previously restarting fixed it).

At this point moving the shaders "out of the way again", the ship turns "Hot pink" (as expected, missing shader), but the gate remains in salmon pink

upload_2020-11-26_22-48-20.png

Exit the project, and starting it up again, the gate is normal and the ship remains hot pink.

upload_2020-11-26_22-51-9.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  29. bruiscream

bruiscream

How can I use the dissolve when camera is close to an object?

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You can achieve this by using Dynamic Mask with Sphere type. And inside mask controller script use Camera game object. Script will read Camera's position and send it to a shader, for the radius control in this case change object X scale inside transform.
    I will add better feature integration in to the coming update.

Current asset version is build using previews URP and seems there are some kind of script or shader conflicts with the new URP.
    Coming update is created using latest URP and Unity 2019.4, problems does not exist here. Doing my best release it as soon as possible.

31. rboerdijk

rboerdijk

No problem, no rush from my side (I was mostly interested in ASE which is unlikely to be supported anyway - and yeah, I know you are not advertising it). Still wanted to help by accurately describing my observations.

32. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

I have to warn with the URP. If you remember, I have also the white-render problem. But had also another URP issues with two different shaders (advanced vertical height fog & atmospheric height fog) both for URP, using depth texture for creating the fog. Made tests along till URP 7.5.1. After talking with one of the authors who told me that URP 7.x has many issues, where a depth texture bug shall be just one of many others inside URP 7.x. Only URP 9.x shall fix this one issue at least,which is invisible if you don't activate "preview packages" in unity 2020 (project settings/package manager). I was able to kill the both shader issues with it. I will also later make my tests with URP 9.x to see if our white-problem issue still occurs and will let you know. wish me luck

UDPATE: sadly, again white - this didn't changed something with the dissolve shader. as soon as I deactivate everything from dissolve everything is back to normal again. URP 9.x change didn't do anything. Would have been to cool

rboerdijk likes this.
  33. bruiscream

bruiscream

Thanks. Which of your demo scenes has something close to that?

34. brandoncash

brandoncash

Got this a few days ago in the sale and I'm loving the power behind it! Amazing asset that I'm super in love with so far.

I am, however, running into an issue with alpha/transparency when using the Fade mode in the Standard/Metallic shader. It seems like it's always behaving like cutout, where I can change the point at which alpha gets cut off (through albedo color alpha) but I can't seem to get a soft blend like I'd expect from the built-in Standard shader.

Below is a screenshot hopefully showing the issue. This is the same texture: on top is Advanced Dissolve's Standard/Metallic and on bottom is the Unity Standard shader. The left shows the outline where the drop shadow extends to and on the right is the look without the object selected. On the far right are the shader settings.

I've played around with various settings (trying TIF instead of PNG, using 'alpha is transparency', using Shader Model 4, using other shaders inside Advanced Dissolve) and I can't seem to get the standard Fade behavior.

Any ideas on how to get the dropshadow to behave like standard Fade? It seems like a nitpicky problem but the dropshadow really helps the text stand out so I'm really trying to find a way to make it work.

Thanks!

35. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

4. Mask (Sphere) example scene. Instead of the sphere mask object inside Mask Controller script use game object with Camera.
    Make sure material has enabled Sphere mask type and this material is updated using Mask Controller script.

Confirm, Fade rendering mode does not work. Transparent - works. Will add fix in the new coming update.

36. bruiscream

bruiscream

Okay. The reason I am asking is to show the player when a building is in between.

37. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Hello! I don't want to rush. I just want to know whether you are working on the white render problem, and whether you can say when the update will be available? Just need a time frame for my client. Thank you in advance!!

38. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

In this case you will need Cylinder type mask. Package includes example script Controller_Mask_Cylinder_Alt it will do what you are looking for. Enable Cylinder mask type in all materials that you need "see through" effect. Using this script you can set all required parameters. For Position use Camera object transform position, for Normal direction from Camera to the player, for Height distance from Camera to the player.
    New update will include better and easier control of this effect.

It is a HUGE update, with completely rewritten shader code, with many optimizations and improvements. I hope by the end of the next week I will have fully working package (beta) for URP and HDRP.
    Built-in render pipeline needs many hand written shaders and it will need additional one more week.
    As for "white render problem", new update is completely done using Unity 2019.4 and SRP v7.4.3 and have not detected any problems yet.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  39. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Thank you so much for the info! Hope it will work for URP 9.x too. I had to switch to it, because there is a depth texture bug in URP 7.x.

Original Text by BOXOPHOBIC (Plugin Author)
    • Due to multiple depth rendering issues, the fog will not work on Android devices with URP 7.2.0 to 7.3.1 (Unity bug)!

40. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

How is it going with the update? =) Also, I asked myself, did you were able to reproduce the white render problem?

41. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I was not able to reproduce 'white render' problem and no one has ever contacted me about it, except you two.
    By the end of this week will be ready preview versions for URP and HDRP.
    Can send package by request (documentation is not ready yet. Shaders, scripts and editor are fully functional).

christougher likes this.
  42. VirtualDawn

VirtualDawn

Hey,
    Is scroll feature gone for good from the shaders?

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

44. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

oh wow, so not..... :(

hm...

yes, I would really like to have the new package, if possible. Don't need any documentation. Need to test it with new URP's and Unity Versions. How can I get it, if I may ask? Need invoice number?

best regards

45. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Hey, do you have any news about the white render problem. Did you made maybe different tests? I will go for the latest 2020.2 (delta time fix (horrible this engine)) and see if it works there. Are you using the bakery plugin? can it be? Because my 1st guess was that it conflicts with bakery lightmaps. Do you have lightmaps in general?

46. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

URP and HDRP versions are ready. Anyone needing new Advanced Dissolve, send me asset purchase invoice using support e-mail.

Package does not include documentation yet, but included example scenes will guide you.

ghostcado and jashan like this.
  47. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Thank you! E-mail is gone! =)

48. jashan

jashan

Will this also be an update to the package on the Asset Store? I don't need this immediately, but I will probably need it a few weeks from now.

49. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, after I completely finish working on new update, it will be released on the Asset Store too.
    For now there is 'preview' version for URP and HDRP, for those you have shader rendering problems or just switched to Unity 2020.2.

50. FriedPollo

FriedPollo

can I dissolve 50 objects at the same time?