Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advance unity scripting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikhil12, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Nikhil12

Nikhil12

Hey guys, I am working as a developer from 1 year. I am self-taught so my coding practices are not so good. To work on that I want to learn advanced techniques and architecture in game development. Are there any unity projects available on GitHub or unity forum or books or just advanced tutorial videos from which I can learn the advanced stuff required to become a good developer.

The main topics I want to learn are :
    1. Game architectures( I mostly implement event-based architecture using the scriptable object)
    2. How to make the code more readable?
    3. Practices which make my code extendable.
    4.Test driven approach. I know tests are important but I have never used them because generally, my projects were really simple.

Any link or suggestion will be helpful
    Thanks in advance

2. Circool

Circool

Lurking-Ninja and Socrates like this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

For your first question, I saw a series of videos that Unity created about creating modular AI using scriptable Objects. Starting with:

There are also videos that cover more-general architecture, but I find the more specific application to be more illustrative

schmosef likes this.
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I do not believe that “advanced programming video tutorials” exist. If someone has made any, they are likely not advanced or any good.

If you are only a year in and “not so good”, you should just work on improving your skills. Of those 4 items listed, you can literally google the topic and add unity. I would avoid random Video tutorials on those topics though, the are either going to be really high level (overviews) or total garbage by some noob who early on figured that making videos is easier than making games.

At this point you are still very much a beginner, now is the perfect time to skill build. Challenge yourself to more complexity in your projects, and try solving problems yourself. That is how you become advanced. Not by watching tutorials.

Good luck, and have fun!

Nikhil12, xVergilx, Socrates and 5 others like this.
  5. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If you have one year of dev experience and you feel your existing coding is not good, you should read "Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction, Second Edition". That book covers improving coding practices. It talks about what to name a variable, what to name a function, when to create functions, and working with classes. It is not an advanced game dev specific book, but it can be extremely helpful for improving general programming practices.

The already recommended "Game Programming Patterns" book is another good read, but I would only suggest it after you have read through something like Code Complete first.

6. one_one

one_one

This. While knowing best practices and software engineering theory certainly is nice and useful, I doubt it's already where your skill bottleneck is one year in. And even if they already become relevant, there simply are mistakes you have to make yourself before you can appreciate and fully understand those practices and the theory behind it.

angrypenguin, Ryiah and zombiegorilla like this.
  7. neoshaman

neoshaman

Advance programming skill seems to be less about the managing the kitchen, but being able to arbitrate, based on case by case basis, what's the most sensible solution, which is something you acquire only by experience. Blindly following "dogma" is only useful as beginner, intermediate transitioning from beginner level, as they allow you to build up the relevant experience, once you tried them all you can then be accepted in the last shaolin chamber, where you spend less time waxing wall to build muscle memory, but argue theory and best practice, as you are now able to ponder the cons and pro, ie the true programmer skills ... solving problem with code (not coding).

Nikhil12 likes this.
  8. schmosef

schmosef

I just checked out the book via your link and thought, "Hey, this looks pretty good, let me check the price on Amazon..."

Turns out I already bought it for my Kindle, in August, and completely forgot.

So, thanks for the reminder! :)

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Shh. Don't tell everyone my secret.

xVergilx and angrypenguin like this.
  10. one_one

one_one

(The author was also kind enough to make it available for free online, but it's certainly a book that's worth supporting and buying.)

schmosef likes this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

On top of what people have already said about books, I'll also recommend another book - Rob Miles' C# Programming Yellow Book. You can get it from that link for free.

It's a beginner text meant to cover introductory programming, but don't let that put you off. I sometimes see self-taught people trying to learn "advanced" stuff before they've got a solid grasp of the fundamentals, which just makes everything harder than it needs to be. Don't let that be you.

The book is free, so grab it and skim through it. If you run into anything that you aren't fully familiar and comfortable with then study and apply the relevant section of the book until you are. If you don't run into anything then great, move on to other books with confidence.

Nikhil12, Ryiah and Socrates like this.
  12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Honestly, outside of learning the syntax and general best practices when it comes to optimisation, the best thing you'll ever learn is what your key points of friction are. If you can do that, you can (most likely) find a way to make that process smoother.

neoshaman, xVergilx and GarBenjamin like this.