Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ads for a PC game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lmbarns, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmbarns

lmbarns

All the ads I see for apps are for mobiles, what about PC?

I made a little tool with Unity I'd like to release for free and maybe have it show you an ad while you're setting the configurations in the menu...

I could have it run and send the output to my server, launch the browser to an adsense page with the output file, but as it is now it just outputs to the application folder and I'd like to keep it that way unless I can't find anything else...

2. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Ads in applications went away during the first half of last decade. They were horribly ineffective and people seemed to hate them. I remember when Opera used to have a built-in ad banner...

Anyways, no one seems to bother offering desktop-in-app-ad services because there seems to not be market to sell placement for them. Web site ads, sure, in app-ads? not so much.

The closest thing to this right now is in-app video ads for flash apps that have to run in a browser anyways, perhaps because it's seen as the target being in the web.

Admob and other mobile ads are a new thing, due to many factors (like the single app on screen) they appear to be more successful than the failed desktop version, but mark my words: sooner or later they too will collapse.

3. nipoco

nipoco

One of the best parts of PC and console gaming:

No f****ng ads!

I'd rather pay for a game than seeing that annoyance on my PC games.

4. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Although I agree: I'd take ads over the stupid "Free"-To-Play model...

5. lmbarns

lmbarns

Damn that sucks. It's not a game just a tool, like imagine if photoshop showed an ad when you went to save your work each time. Or you could pay $10 to have an ad free version.

6. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

you already are paying hundreds for PS, I get what your trying to do but its not gonna be popular, what about banner ads around the object in a webplayer version..

7. lmbarns

lmbarns

Can't use web player for this one...I can use a phone but limited texture output is 1024x1024 and the whole reason it's for PC is so you can use very high poly models and processor intensive shaders to pre render stuff...main target is newb indies using 2d engines like game maker, rpg maker, etc, so they don't have money and would probably tolerate the ad.

I can upload the file to my server and make them download it from a page with ads. And if they pay $10 they get an ad free version.

8. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Stop doing things that exist in ways that enforce the terrible employer/employee relationship we currently share with games.

9. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

Your title says ads for a pc game but you talk about pc apps? Which is it?

There are in game adds for some pc games but it depends on the game there usually free to play and the ads support the game.

10. lmbarns

lmbarns

I guess I mistyped my title. It's a unity app that lets people load 3d models, choose a shader and some settings and it outputs animated tileset/sprite sheets with a click. It uses the alpha channel to remove the background and packs all the frames into a texture. The idea is that any newb can use it and I was going to include models as content. It has preset camera angles like top down, isometric, straight on, etc. You click an animation and press a key and it outputs 8-16+ frames you can replay as an animated sprite.

Not worth much but I figured all the newbs using 2d engines would probably use it so I figured ads would be great. Most people here could do their own version of it, which is why I was trying to make it simple and target noobs.

It outputs stuff like this:

Here I added 7 shader options:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I actually imagine that being pretty useful, but I'd probably prefer it in the Editor than being a standalone tool. With that in mind, instead of ad support why not sell it in the Asset Store as an Editor extension?

For the sprites you're generating I'd also suggest rendering at 2 or 4 times the required resolution and then downsampling to get nicer edges.

Martin_H likes this.
  12. lmbarns

lmbarns

The videos are on my android build so limited to 1024x1024, but I'm planning to move over to my gf's with unity 4.0, I'm still on 3.4.2f, so the textures will look MUCH BETTER, and I also have all my lowest LOD in this project so the idea was making it PC would let you render very high resolution. I had to reduce the resolution on all the imgs in this project cause it's android...

You can capture 1024x1024 tiles and pack 16 into a 4096x4096 file on PC. Or a lot of 512x512's. I'm reducing them to 256x256 tiles but it's adjustable.

A couple years ago I was searching high and low for sprites for a 2d game I was making and they were all rpg maker graphics. I downloaded SpriteWorks which is a sprite generator for 3d models, but my textures didn't load in it. That's why I was thinking if I launch standalone with content that's tested to work, and anyone can use it, they could sit there pumping out animated sprites to their hearts content. Especially indies with no money, and even if just for placeholders, but the idea would be they have rights to use them in games which is a relief for some.

And with ads piracy doesn't matter even if it's a $5 tool.

13. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I only agree with you as long as its a pay to win. If it's like League of Legends system though, not in the slightest.

14. STEFZIV

STEFZIV

15. Schneider21

Schneider21

16. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Unity should lock threads that are over a year old

wccrawford likes this.
  17. Brity

Brity

What does age have to do with it?

I'm interested too.. If I could have Unity video ad in my desktop game I would. Free version or paid version.

18. darkhog

darkhog

Yup. Me too.

There was once company called Zapspot. They've made PC games, really cool games, which were ad supported. That company actually were doing pretty well, but then dotcom crash happened. I think it's time to revisit the idea, since another dotcom crash is unlikely to happen and it would allow to make money out of "free" games on PC just like on Android and iOS. Unfortunately there isn't any PC-friendly ad network.

Brity likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just create a WebGL-based game, bundle it into a Webkit portable browser, and have normal web ads. :p

Brity, Kiwasi and Schneider21 like this.
  20. bluescrn

bluescrn

I'm surprised ads in mobile games work, as they're all ads for other games. A game full of ads is essentially shouting 'don't play our game, play this other game instead'....

darkhog, QFSW, kB11 and 3 others like this.
  21. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Host the ads on a standalone site and offer people in game rewards for electing to go watch them. That's the most effective way I've seen ads for desktop games.

I don't understand mobile games period. Their best utilization is a companion app / pda peripheral.

(number of times companion app quote used this month: 6)

22. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Does Unity support PC ads yet?

23. simulism

simulism

Use of Unity's ad network requires that your game is on IOS or Android. Top google link: https://unity3d.com/services/ads

24. simulism

simulism

25. iiiplays

iiiplays

Can anybody give me some examples of desktop game that use video ad ? I didn't know that it was possible but I read on several forums people who are asking for this so I'm curious to see what it looks like :)
    I think it can be a good idea if you give the choice between a free version with ads or a paid version without them.

26. Flashmangagames

Flashmangagames

You could use GameAdTrading. It supports windows and has some nice ad formats. You also earn a decent amount off it.

27. daniel_alves_bra

daniel_alves_bra

28. daniel_alves_bra

daniel_alves_bra

Take a look at Gameloft games on Windows Store(windows 10).

29. Eagerkid

Eagerkid

If you learn one thing in the video game world, it is that people hate ads. So many better ways to monetize games

30. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

U learn 2 things....people hate ads and people tolerate things they hate if it means they can not spend their money.

31. Rachzella

Rachzella

First of all, you can use adds on pc games using unity, Adf.ly, Objects with a ad picture, so it’s possible

32. Ostwind

Ostwind

Showing the ads is not the problem. Most, if not all of the ad networks do not allow such (desktop) use which is probably the original reason for the question.

LilGames likes this.
  33. Rachzella

Rachzella

you can make an adf.ly account and make a web UI pop up when the player does an action the adf.ly ad pops up and you get advertisement withdraw on your PayPal, and some others I cant remember, this is the closest you'll come without contacting other companies

34. Rachzella

Rachzella

35. xVergilx

xVergilx

Casuals. They just don't give a damn. They probably could just watch ads without any gameplay at all.

Try that on a PC audience. They'll probably will find you.

And punch you a couple of times to the face.

Seriously, if you don't want to be hated - don't put ads inside PC / console games.

Edit: Necroing is evil btw.

36. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thanks for the pointless 2 year necro.

Joe-Censored and xVergilx like this.
  37. Murgilod

Murgilod

Well, for one, they only... kinda are. Mobile's big revenue comes from IAP, IAP that's often used to disable ads in the first place.

Ads do not thrive on mobile, they are simply tolerated.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  38. AAAAAAAAAE

AAAAAAAAAE

"And punch you a couple of times to the face."
    seriously kid..Don't crack poor jokes like this...y would u want to hide that line if u r scared of writing it in the first place ?!
    "Seriously, if you don't want to be hated - don't put ads inside PC / console games."
    Nothing like gamers whining on how costly PC , Console games are (then waiting for massive discounts) on top of the In game purchases and the loot box scam
    u can decide to ignore the thread and move on right ?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    neonblitzer likes this.
  39. AAAAAAAAAE

AAAAAAAAAE

Ur welcome

neonblitzer likes this.
  40. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Closed for pointless necro.

Socrates and xVergilx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.