Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adressables on ios and android with git

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by norbertdump, Aug 2, 2019.

1. norbertdump

norbertdump

I am trying to build the Basic Scene Loading example from the Adressables-Sample repository on github on ios and android using unity 19.02 (have tried with various versions coming from 18.03).
    So my basic test workflow is just checking out the repo on windows, adding a few settings (like my server and stuff), build for android and verify that it works and then cloning my changed version to a mac, change to ios and build everything again. I can't get this to be stable, especially once i start doing updates (like adding a new scene which is basically just a duplicate of the other scenes already there) i start getting weird stuff on one or both platforms, like pink materials, i run into a lot of errors regarding missing scenes or catalog data, missing keys, basically it's unstable for me. so i am wondering what am i doing wrong, i remember reading that the whole system does not work with sourcecontrol to well but since the developers are also using github as it seems this should not be an issue... any clues are appreciated

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

a few ideas.
    1. make sure you are not committing the library to source control. It all needs to be re-imported on each platform
    2. make sure you rebuild the bundles on each platform each time you move over.
    Beyond that, i'd need more info. Please clarify your scenario:
    • things work
    • you modify stuff.
    • it still works <--- this true?
    • move to a different platform on a different computer.
    • things stop working <--- always?
    One additional thing you could try to help debug would be to build android and ios on the same computer without a jump in to & out of version control

3. marjan

marjan

had something similar today. about 40 3D moles shall be loaded from a server for iOS and android. Started for iOS. finally everything worked, even with updating external addressable and catalog on the server.

Then switch target to android, build addressable for remote use, upload them, build a player. Works.

Then switch the target back to iOS, make an update for the remote addressable again and now my last compiled iOS app crashes because it cannot find some addressable path. said Xcode. Unfortunalty i did not copy the stack trace.

i need to read about the correct aproach for doing these kind of things without shooting myself in the foot.