Search Unity

Adobe has acquired Allegorithmic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mauri, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

From their first announcement of CC I said their endgame is to make everyone dependant on it, nuke the backwards compatibility and then jack the prices up. Everyone who ever fell for their "intro pricing" bait is to blame for this being a thing now. This could have been prevented through boycott. Corporations always do what they think makes them the most money.

I too use Photoshop daily, but stayed on CS6. For the stuff that I do, none of the alternatives are viable. One day I'll be F***ed too and will have to buy into CC for at least one project. First it'll likely be InDesign CC that I need, then probably Illustrator and Photoshop. I have little to no hope, that Affinity is going to save me from that, unless my clients start using it themselves and stop sending me Adobe-based templates that I'm supposed to work with. Sooner or later OS incompatibility is gonna force my hand anyway. I'm still holding out on windows 7.

I bought some other tools to give the competition a boost, but I don't use them at all. Really catching up with just Photoshop CS6 is a gargantuan task and might not even be possible. I don't mean just replicating basic functions that suit the average user, I need to be able to open any old photoshop file ranging from CS1 to CS6 and have all the layerstyles, smart objects, smart filters etc. be replicated 1:1, with proper color management and CMYK mode. And the brush engine needs to be close enough that I can replicate all the main brushes that I use and paint something that looks like it was painted in Photoshop. So far Krita seems to be the most promising to me.

Creative Cloud was released 7 years ago, that's a lot of money I've saved during that time by staying on CS6...

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Photoshop CS6 is currently gold status for Wine, and it's technically possible (though not recently tested) to configure Wine to run on Windows.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25607
    https://wiki.winehq.org/Cygwin_and_More

That said CS6 is compatible with Windows 10. It's just not supported by Adobe.

https://www.quora.com/Would-Windows-10-support-CS6

Martin_H likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Gimp feels worse to use now than it did a decade ago. Everyone responsible for its UX/UI should be tried in The Hague

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  4. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I read on another site that the prices didn't actually increase, they were only advertising the version that comes with 1TB of storage which is $20/month. I subscribe to the cheaper $10 per month plan. I really mostly use lightroom and if they doubled the price, I would most definitley be looking for alternatives. It does look like they are trying to figure out a way to get rid of the $10 photography plan.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Looks like they brought the 9.99$ photography plan back. The official response says that they were "trying things" (by removing the cheapest plan from the buy menu), which sounds to me like they were trying to see if they could raise prices without anyone raising an eyebrow and now they're backpedaling.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Adobe's official response to The Verge said nothing about it being a misinterpretation which as far as I'm concerned is as good as confirming that they were trying out a price increase. I wonder how many customers they lost with this mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/2/18526985/adobe-creative-cloud-lightroom-photoshop-plan-price-hike

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Force everyone to the best OS, thats a good thing?

8. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Wut? I don't even... eh, forget it.

Ostwind likes this.