Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adobe has acquired Allegorithmic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mauri, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

Photoshop CS6 is currently gold status for Wine, and it's technically possible (though not recently tested) to configure Wine to run on Windows.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25607
    https://wiki.winehq.org/Cygwin_and_More

That said CS6 is compatible with Windows 10. It's just not supported by Adobe.

https://www.quora.com/Would-Windows-10-support-CS6

Martin_H likes this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Gimp feels worse to use now than it did a decade ago. Everyone responsible for its UX/UI should be tried in The Hague

hippocoder and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  3. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I read on another site that the prices didn't actually increase, they were only advertising the version that comes with 1TB of storage which is $20/month. I subscribe to the cheaper $10 per month plan. I really mostly use lightroom and if they doubled the price, I would most definitley be looking for alternatives. It does look like they are trying to figure out a way to get rid of the $10 photography plan.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Looks like they brought the 9.99$ photography plan back. The official response says that they were "trying things" (by removing the cheapest plan from the buy menu), which sounds to me like they were trying to see if they could raise prices without anyone raising an eyebrow and now they're backpedaling.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Adobe's official response to The Verge said nothing about it being a misinterpretation which as far as I'm concerned is as good as confirming that they were trying out a price increase. I wonder how many customers they lost with this mistake.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/2/18526985/adobe-creative-cloud-lightroom-photoshop-plan-price-hike

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Force everyone to the best OS, thats a good thing?

7. Wut? I don't even... eh, forget it.

Ostwind likes this.
  8. Fab4

Fab4

And here we go

R. I. P.

hippocoder, SparrowGS and JamesArndt like this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Martin_H likes this.
  10. Mauri

Mauri

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

I hope Adobe's empire crumbles under the inevitable rise of increasingly competitive and cheaper alternatives.

Give it another decade or two and Blender might have made the Substance stuff obsolete too, at least that's what I hope for.

Thx, at least a tiny silver lining:

Gekigengar likes this.
  12. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

get perpetual now if you need it. Then price change is negligible. I'm sure.the giant will.go down at some.point. nothing last forever. But it will just go back to another. So long as there is money there gonna be hoarders.

Myself I gonna start.slowly checking out alternatives. I was sticking with standard stuff cause I thought I might want to work in aaa at some.poiint, but changed my mind on tjat. So no reason then to not go with cheaper alternatives.

I hate shoddy software though. I like to work fast and inconsistent, poorly documented crap won't cut it for me. I think the 3d alternatives are good but I wonder about texturing alternatives in that regard. And animation too.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Perpetual is no longer available. It's now $20/mo for indies (under $100K), and $100/mo for professionals (past $100K).

https://www.substance3d.com/subscribe

14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

What?!? I swear somebody just reported you.can still get perpetual through steam.

Well, snooze ya lose if it's not the case

Martin_H likes this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ah. I didn't think to check there, and indeed it is available as perpetual.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/Substance

Though it has a year in the name which worries me that it won't be receiving any updates to it.

16. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

No perpetual does not include updates. But, sp2 or latest version probably gonna be adequate for long time unless something major happens.

Is it Martin who still uses decade old photoshop? I know there is someone who earns living as artist and still does fine with pretty old version of ps.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    JamesArndt likes this.
  17. Martin_H

Martin_H

I had quoted that part form the official post because I thought it might be of interest to people here. Steam seems to be the only way to still get a perpetual license now (unless you already have one and want to add another year of "maintenance updates", you can do that till october 2020, I've set a calendar reminder to maybe buy one last update then):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/978680/Substance_Painter_2019/
    https://store.steampowered.com/developer/Substance

As far as I'm aware nothing comes close (except Quixel's DDO, which I've had too much trouble with in the past to ever want to touch it again). And software in that area moves so slowly, your old perpetual licenses of the substance stuff will probably still be better than every new competing product in the next 5 years. Though I don't know what Mari can do or if they even still sell that as a perpetual license or not. That's probably the most notable substance competitor next to DDO. I'm not very up to date on all this...

If CS6 already is a decade old already, then yes! And it has saved me literal thousands in adobe creative cloud subscription fees.

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Worth noting (though it's not an issue if you're making that much, you can eat the cost at that point) that the Steam versions do have a $100,000 USD rev cap.

Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  19. hard_code

hard_code

In other news I am getting my sixth free yearly upgrade of ZBrush next week. Hold strong Pixologic your our only hope.

20. Player7

Player7

Wouldn't surprise me, it's not like Adobe have done anything really useful to improve photoshop in 10 years.. you could go back to CS3 released in 2007 and you'd have pretty much the real core of what makes photoshop for any seasoned pro.. ie CS3 brought smart objects, you go back to an even earlier version if you didn't care for that feature.... everything else afterwards is pretty much bleh imo..and I wouldn't even want to get started '3d' stuff added into photoshop whoever implemented that needs shooting...content aware fill came just after CS3 maybe that's kinda quick and useful. Workflow wise they've done fk all really, and I wouldn't want to give them ideas...rather it end up in something like Krita.

Still that's photoshop, I still think after effects is really good and its hard to find alternatives to all there products (they buy up) especially when the open source stuff can barely match photoshop in all areas.

Martin_H and Fab4 like this.
  21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I have heard more than one report of people getting last minute perpetual licenses (ongoing license, but just 12 months of updates) by contacting Adobe support and being given links to product pages that still allow it.

Whether that's still available and how long it will last for... anyone's guess.

Martin_H likes this.
  22. Ryiah

Ryiah

Speaking of ZBrush there is a discount available right now.

https://store.pixologic.com/zbrush-2019/

hard_code likes this.
  23. iamthwee

iamthwee

Soon we are gonna be subscribed to our Operating Systems.

JamesArndt likes this.
  24. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well maybe we'll see the rise of new open source and robust tools for this? I did come across this open source tool.

https://armorpaint.org/

25. Tzan

Tzan

The Armor Paint logo looks suspiciously familiar. :)

JamesArndt likes this.
  26. Murgilod

Murgilod

Armor Paint is pretty good from what poking I've done at it. It's definitely production ready if you're working on smaller projects where the needs aren't too robust, but it gets better every update so I'm not sure how long this specific assessment will hold.

27. iamthwee

iamthwee

Open source for $16, maybe you meant cheap ;)

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No, he means "open source".

You can clone it from there and build it yourself if you desire.

AcidArrow and iamthwee like this.
  29. sxa

sxa

Being open source has nothing to do with pricetag.

MadeFromPolygons and AcidArrow like this.
  30. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Open Source just means that the sourcecode is open to the public to be modified, forked, etc etc.

Doesnt mean it cant have a price tag :)

Although from having a look its super trivial to build the project so not sure why anyone but the laziest would purchase the binary

31. Murgilod

Murgilod

I bought it because I wanted to make sure it kept getting developed and also didn't want to go through the build process every time the binary got updated. That's less "lazy" and more "I have better things to do with my dev time."

angrypenguin and Martin_H like this.
  32. iamthwee

iamthwee

<3

I purchased it ages ago, but never used it as my mac doesn't even have a decent GPU and only 8jig of ram, maybe when I get around to getting my RTX windows box I'll take another look, but then of course I remembered you still need to retopo and uvunwrap the meshes so actually, I kinda lost interest.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  33. Mauri

Mauri

Not everyone likes or even has the knowledge to do this. Sure, for us it might be trivial, but don't expect it for others to be. Also, the repository "may not be stable"...

angrypenguin likes this.
  34. iamthwee

iamthwee

With something so cheap it pays to support the devs, plus xcode is like 10GB and takes eons to download. Visual studio, no idea, clang is fiddly but if you're on linux well nuff said.

35. Martin_H

Martin_H

Epic just bought Quixel. Seems like megascans is now free for Unreal Engine users?!

Does anyone know the UE marketplace ecosystem's license well enough to answer me if it's allowed to use megascans assets obtained via the UE ecosystem may be used in rendered artworks that are used in printed media? I think the Unity assetstore used to allow this, then iirc the wording changed and became unclear, and now I always ask permission from Unity assetstore sellers directly.

36. Martin_H

Martin_H

Worthy of a doublepost, this is big news imho:

https://quixel.com/mixer

Tencent money and abandoning Photoshop could actually turn what used to be DDO into something useful imho. With Substance/Allegorithmic being owned by Adobe now, I assume their pace of development to slow down and their focus to shift towards some casual bullshit that most of us wouldn't benefit from (like e.g. tighter integration between Photoshop and the Substance tools, where the whole point of them always was for me to cut out Photoshop from my pipeline). On the other hand a 10x increase in devs working on Quixels tool and being owned by a company that makes games and a game engine could mean a nice focus on stuff that would actually be useful for gamedevs (likely more so for UE users than Unity users, but I doubt it will ever be tied so hard to UE that it's unusable for other engines).

P.S.: Sorry, didn't see the other thread about the topic until now. Probably best to ignore my last two posts here and keep the Quixel discussion in the other thread.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  37. hard_code

hard_code

As long as Pixologic lives, hope lives.

38. Antypodish

Antypodish

Martin_H likes this.
  39. Jerc

Jerc

Just chiming in to confirm that perpetual licenses for both Painter and Designer are and will still be available on Steam. We are currently updating the website to make it more visible.

Martin_H likes this.
  40. Cascho01

Cascho01

A bit sad about Quixel and the wonderful Megascans is acquired by epic (ironically Mixer is a Unity-Executable).
    Substance is acquired by Adobe and we can expect its further development will be slower and perhaps even misaligned.
    Is UnityTechnology too small or sleeping here?

41. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, Mixer is free now and Megascans has half the cost, so why are you sad?
    If Unity bought Quixel they would raise the prices while talking about democratizing development.

42. Mauri

Mauri

Not everyone likes Epic these days and that for good reasons (*cough* Epic Games Store / exclusives *cough*).

43. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its good they challenge steams insane high cuts though. But it haven't helped us indies yet, only extremely large studios get lower fees

44. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Not everyone likes Unity either, so I don't understand your point.

In fact no one should like a corporation, any corporation, for reasons far less petty than "exclusives".

Martin_H likes this.
  45. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I mean as someone who pays for both CC and substance, its obviously a win for me given that they will roll into one package.

I also dont really see why everyone has daggers for adobe when their entire library costs about £50-60 a month, compared to £220+ a month for a single autodesk software license.

Like I hate sub models as much as the next person, but saas isnt going away and there are far worse pricing out there than adobe.

I do however agree that they dont add much features to their products, but substance is being run by the substance team still and already since they came into adobe an update to mixamo has been released, so so far I actually think this is a good thing.

Besides, between blender, armorpaint and quixel mixer, you can do most things substance alchemist, designer and painter can do for free ;)

46. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, Autodesk is worse, but that doesn't automatically make Adobe better. They took Substance and almost immediately killed perpetual licenses and we should... what? Be happy?

I used to use Cool Edit Pro when I was young. Then Adobe bought it turned it into Audition and development almost completely stopped and price increased.

And yes, that's better than Autodesk buying XSI and discontinuing it, but it's still pretty bad.

Martin_H likes this.
  47. iamthwee

iamthwee

Also market forces drive competition, if it wasn't for the adobe's subscription model I wouldn't be using affinity designer, affinity photo, and on occasions affinity publisher.

48. hard_code

hard_code

Seriously its built in Unity?? So now epic staff will have to get unity licenses to work on it?

49. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm guessing Quixel already had Unity seats, so I don't see what the big deal is?

Wait, are you implying that Unity's subscription model is so bad that Unreal might have to think twice now that they need to buy into it?

Now all Unity has to do, is change their license to say that all IP a company that uses Unity creates, is now Unity property and BAM, Unity has Unreal now.

OMG THIS WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG.

#SPREADTHEWORD
    #DONTBELIEVETHELIES
    #IHAVETHEFLUANDFEELSILLYDONTPAYATTENTIONSTOMYPOSTS

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Ryiah, MadeFromPolygons and hard_code like this.
  50. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm always amused at how many people seem to hate them for getting exclusive while simultaneously not caring in the slightest that every single store out there has had exclusives at some point in their life.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019