Search Unity

Adobe CS2 free!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradigm-SW, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mauri

Mauri

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Thanks that someone finally got it... The most big online PC magazines got a feedback form adobe so the have corrected there article.
    @Tiles: Sometimes getting informed in a nice idea...

3. Tiles

Tiles

Not that i know of. And i follow this press disaster from the day one :)

As you may notice, the thread where Chris Isaacs, who is named here as the source, says that it is forbidden to use CS2 doesn`t exist anymore. The links are not longer valid. The story simply wrong. This reporter is the one who didn`t get it. He just searched for something that doesn`t exist. And grabbed some inofficial info to fill the gap.

Show me an official statement from Adobe that the useage is forbidden. Show me an official statemet from Adobe to this incident here at all. There is none. Adobe still plays dead. All you can find at the moment is guesses and inofficial statements from some forum members. Chris Isaacs is not a adobe scientists, but a simple forum mod. There`s by the way another inofficial statement from another forum mod that nobody is after you for using CS2. But even that one is a inofficial rumour, and no fact. Even when it`s closer to the truth. The reporters simply did a very bad job here. One was grabbing infos from another. And the ones who asked Adobe directly never got an answer.

As it is now there is nothing illegal to download and use CS2 because the main criteria for illegal download and useage doesn`t match. You don`t download the software from an obvious illegal source. It`s the opposite, it`s a legal download page from the developer. Which is publically available. And can be found by the search field at the Adobe page. And you don`t need to modify or crack the software to get it to work. The serials are attached. There is also no hint or restriction that you need to follow. Just the blank download page. Which means you can`t do something illegal here. This is intended by Adobe.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

The "official" blog states:

My take is that this was poorly communicated, and people who downloaded it in good faith - it was freely posted and available - have done nothing wrong. Notice that Adobe is not saying anything about suing or telling people not to install it or anything, because they realize this is their fault. Likely they do not even have the information on who is a valid user anymore, so their only real choice is to put out the somewhat vague message of intent below.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/01/update-on-cs2-and-acrobat-7-activation-servers.html

5. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Best.
    Viral.
    Marketing.
    Ever.

There will be a whole generation of Adobe-trained people who don't need to use GIMP or Inkscape now.

6. nipoco

nipoco

I'm not sure what you're talking about some Adobe forum mod. But look at Jaimi's post above.This is a official statement which is around since the beginning.
    It doesn't say exactly it is prohibited, but it doesn't say it is allowed either. It's also pretty much common sense that Adobe is not giving their software for free, because they never said that.

7. Ghoxt

Ghoxt

Yet they never disabled the downloads. Seems like they wanted this to occur lol.

8. Krileon

Krileon

They're not condoning it, but they're also not enforcing it. It's clever marketing. Anyone that can't see that is blind. They'll only pull the paperwork out if they have to. If they intend to enforce it they'd simply close the downloads and only offer downloads to those with a registered copy attached to their Adobe ID (only needs to be registered once).

9. Mauri

Mauri

On their blog entry (10 days ago), they said:
    "While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."

Seems like it's still unclear what Adobe exactly want..

10. redcap

redcap

@rab236 do you have a link to any terms of use stating that educational photoshop and illustrator can be used commerically? I am a teacher and this would be awesome, I have been slumming it with a purchase commercial version of C4 when I could be using C6 this whole time. :)

11. Tiles

Tiles

Because this statement was from a forum mod. And not by a press man from Adobe. But as told, the link leads to nirvana now anways. The statement doesn`t exist anymore.

That`s why there are laws. And normally everything that is not forbidden by a law is allowed. You can breathe for example, without to ask for permission. Me likes this very much :)

I think i said it before, the main criterias to mark this as a illegal useage doesn`t match here. The download source is a legal and valid one. You don`t need to modify/crack the software to get it to work. There is also no license restriction to find at the download page. Voila. Legal.

12. scarpelius

scarpelius

I find it safer to use GIMP than Adobe whatever version. I think Tiles, you are dead wrong when you presume that you can use the software because you got an serial and downloaded CS2 from adobe. When facing an accusation from legal entities in any country it doesn't count if they (adobe) messed up the the release of CS2 when the activation server went down and you believed is for free. What is holding relevance to a legalese guy is a contract between you and adobe. If you have it and the legalese is satisfied you are off the hook, otherwise you can be prosecuted for piracy.

13. nipoco

nipoco

By this logic it is also legal to steal Apples at the local fruit dealer, because that stuff is lying around unguarded in the front display and you can easily take it without paying ;)

14. jimzepellin

jimzepellin

Nothing like the same. What you are discussing is theft. Removing things from premises without the owners permission is in most cases illegal. Downloading software from a web site that has no restrictions added is legal if the owner has not made it clear in agreement that it is not legal to do so. Using that software that has no notification of it's intended use is not illegal though it is a bit of a grey area but that's Adobes fault. Apples don't need to have license agreements. And just think about your statement for five minutes then you can add in another couple of dozens reasons why it doesn't work.

15. nipoco

nipoco

When you something take which you did not buy, isn't that theft? For me it is.
    Adobe said it is for their customers who have a valid licnese. And I don't see where they state that it is intended to be free for everyone.

But eventually I don't care, because I already have a 100% legal Photoshop license.

So download that stuff and live happily if you think it is right :)

16. Tiles

Tiles

So every freeware is stolen? :)

Our apples in front of the store are usually labeled with something like 5 euro per kilo. This is a license agreement.

The CS2 download page from Adobe says nothing. No hint for hidden costs or restrictions. It is free.

No, they say that this was the reason to make this decision. To still support their old customers. Not that it is just available for their old customers. It is obviously not. It`s publically available. With serial, and without restrictions.

17. nipoco

nipoco

I didn't talk about free stuff. Adobe doesn't say it is free.

I took that specific example because it is often not labeled and yet people usually know that you have to buy it.

This your personal view on that statement. So feel entitled to use your downloaded version of CS2. I have another view on that. As I said previously, they didn't exactly prohibited the free downloading, but they didn't say that everyone can download it for free either. Eventually nobody of us is a specialized lawyer for software license matters and thus we can't be 100% certain about that. Neither me, nor you.
    But as I said. I paid Adobe for my license and because of that I don't care that much :)

18. Tiles

Tiles

There must always be a price attached. At least in germany. German law is very rigorous here. No price attached means you handle against Competition law.

Yes they do. They made it free by making it freely available.

There is no label at the download page. No hint for hidden costs. No license restrictions. The download is freely available. The serial is freely available. There is simply not a single illegal action involved to get and to run the software. Again we are at the point of competition law. You have to label your software when you want money for it or when there`s a special deal. And this doesn`t exist.

So yes, they say it is free.

And this is not a personal view. But simply adding one and one together. When the single steps are not illegal, then the sum cannot be illegal neither. You cannot sue people for using software that is this free available like CS2 now.

Do a test. I would be glad to play the guinea pig here. Try to sue me for using CS2. Tell it to Adobe. I am a known CS2 user now who has never bought CS2. I can guarantee that Adobe will not take action here. Because they cannot. I don`t do anything illegal here. They will most probably don`t even answer you.

Have i mentioned that several software portals and PC magazines already links to the download page for CS2 now? Well known companies. Who have to be very careful when it comes to illegal stuff.

They have stopped the support for CS2. CS2 is abandonware. They don`t mind anymore. And CS2 is no valid software for an upgrade anymore. That`s the main point.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. mescalin

mescalin

but GIMP is not like blender....

GIMP is BETTER than Photoshop :p

good find though, just sometimes the open source versions are better lol

20. jimzepellin

jimzepellin

Obviously you like to cherry pick your arguments. Quoting one line from my post doesn't make your argument right. If Adobe posted that this was not for everyone to download and use then, end of argument but they didn't. They may have now but that still doesn't make you right.
    They have posted up freely downloadable software. This is the problem it's freely downloadable it has not been restricted in any sense either in writing or through some security measure. This is standard across the board or at least just about. Why this software can be downloaded without restriction is a mystery. Adobe know that if they post freely downloadable software without restriction then either there had been a cock-up that anyone with half a brain cell could spot or they are at it. Publicity publicity publicity says my suspicious mind. I could be wrong but, can't we all.
    Adobe are at fault. Why you assume that people are stealing this software is beyond me. It needs cleared up but spouting nonsense doesn't help anyone.

21. nipoco

nipoco

Wow dude, grab a coke or something and relax :)

You guys can argue with me all day long. That doesn't make your or mine opinion right. Because that is nothing more. An opinion. Unless one of you is a lawyer. So none of us can be hundred percent sure.
    I also never claimed that I'm right.
    Let me quote myself. I said: 'When you something take which you did not buy, isn't that theft? For me it is.' If you have another view on that. Fine.
    But I see it that way: Adobe never claimed that they give their software for free. And just because it is freely available it doesn't make the software free unless stated officially by Adobe. They said they did it for their existing customers and not for free riders. At least this is my stance on that matter. It is quite a grey area.

So use your downloaded CS2 stuff and be happy.

22. nipoco

nipoco

Feel free to show me where they said that CS2 is free for everyone.

23. HolBol

HolBol

I'd say it's free. They haven't said otherwise. And they would know that if they put downloads like that on their site everyone's gonna try download it. If they only wanted current CS2 users to use it, they would have only let CS2 users download it.

24. nipoco

nipoco

Yeah and that's the problem for me. Adobe is really vague on that matter.
    Caution Jim! My personal opinion ahead... In case of any doubt, I'd say it is not legal. You're only on the safe side if you don't use it. However I doubt Adobe is going to sue people. CS2 is obsolete anyways and with Creative Cloud, CS6 became quite affordable nowadays.

And with that, I'm out of this discussion.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  25. Demigiant

Demigiant

Uhm, maybe the page changed since I went to it, but if it hasn't, I don't see what's cloudy. Mistake or no mistake, I remember that the Adobe page clearly stated something like "hello, here you can download CS2 software and here are the licenses". Which means I'm granted permission to download, activate, and use them, without any doubt of being doing something illegal.

26. jimzepellin

jimzepellin

No need for coke, no need for lawyers, no need for common sense. If you don't understand why this statement is wrong then don't go into the legal profession or any other for that matter.

27. Tiles

Tiles

That`s not the point. In fact Adobe didn`t say it`s free or not. Adobe plays officially dead. Even professional pc magazines didn`t get an answer to direct questions.

The Point is if it is illegal to download and use it then. I talk about law, not statements. And here Adobe acted and created some facts. By making the download of the software and the serials freely available, without any restrictions. Which means by law it`s totally legal to download and use the software. When you lay down a dollar at the street and walk away, then everybody is allowed to pick this dollar up. Same counts for downloads of software.

So it`s the opposite. Feel free to show me where they said it is forbidden to use CS2, which is free to download and free to install for everybody. Show me the restrictions that makes the download and useage illegal. And this info must be placed at the download page to make it legal by law.

To repeat it, try to sue me when i think i do something illegal. Tell Adobe that you found a illegal CS2 user. Then you have your answer :)

Or sue Chip.de. A very well known german PC Magazine http://www.chip.de/downloads/Photoshop-CS2-Vollversion_59762951.html
    Or sue Computerbild. Another very big german PC magazine: http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/...uite-CS2-kostenlos-herunterladen-8040681.html

Or any other download portal that now links to the official CS2 download page :)

Sorry for having just german sources. I don`t know PC magazines from other countries.

28. nipoco

nipoco

Ok :)

29. nipoco

nipoco

If you think it is 100% legal and Chip.de links it, then use it for gods sake. You have your copy of CS2, I have my copy of CS6. So all is fine and dandy. I have no intention to sue people, because I don't care that much and have by far better things to do. I just stated my opinion on that matter.

Cheers!

30. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thinking about it why would anyone want to use CS2, I mean. you're missing out on such important features from CS5/CS6 that id cry without. Never used CS2 but I can't imagine it to be amazing :')

31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ain't no body got money fo dat.

32. Demigiant

Demigiant

Aha if you're wondering that, I suppose you're rich and don't know how the rest of the world lives? Good for you :D

33. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

haha don't own the suite myself. I only own Photoshop and Illustrator. Use the entire suite most days tho at college.

34. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ehe I just got Premiere from the free CS2, since I already own the CS5 web suite (last Adobe product I bought and will ever buy). But I can say that Adobe products have become super-expensive, especially since their policy is to make you pay full upgrade price if you don't buy "middle" (and useless) versions, and also because each new CS version doesn't introduce much new stuff. So a CS2 version is not terribly different from a CS6 :p

35. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

The features they do add however are fantastic, I head into college to use the CS4 suite and die a little inside because they dont have the width tool in illustrator. Really hurts my feels man! hahah

36. Tiles

Tiles

Well. Not everybody has 500+ bucks left to buy Photoshop full. And (not only) Unity uses Adobe standards for their files where freeware software like Gimp simply fails at. See exr lightmaps. See heightmap raw files. Photoshop CS2 is a gods gift here. It opens up both files fine, and saves them fine too.

37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ahaha I know the feeling. Personally, after using Illustrator for many years, I'm now a fan of Xara Designer Pro. Ugly interface, but for the rest it's much faster then AI, and has some very cool features - it's also way cheaper

38. nipoco

nipoco

Just to put in some more infos about that matter.

On the japanese Adobe site it is clearly stated that this is not legal in case you have not a valid license.
    Here is a translation:
    And Photoshop product manager John Nack answers the question,
    with the following statement:
    You can read that here for yourself.

39. Tiles

Tiles

Your link leads one more time to one of those telephone game playing reporters,. And this reporter uses the same not longer valid and/or not longer existing sources that you have linked above before. And the link to Adobe japan is irrelevant to me anyways. I am definitely not japanese.

The facts stays as it is: there is simply no official statement from Adobe as a company. Else you would have proudly presented it already. Just ask yourself why you have to dig this deep, and you still don`t come up with any useful result. Alone this makes it clear that there is nothing official available.

The second fact stays as it is too: the download is publically available. The serials are publically available. There is no hint at the download page that tells about any violation or costs. There is not a single illegal action involved to install and run CS2. This makes it legal to download and legal to use CS2. And would even be legal when Adobe would officially state something else at their blog. Because the download page itself lacks of this statement and information.

40. Mauri

Mauri

Let's say, Adobe changed the prices for their products (lower them heavy as example) but they posted it only on the japanese website because they are busy updating the english / other websites (adobe usa, uk.. you'll get it) or whatever. Is it still irrelevant? :)

The fact, that it may be forbidden to download/use it when you were not a previous customer, was already stated in the official blog:
    "While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."
    Maybe not 100% clear said. But that doesn't change the fact they don't give it away to everyone. They just wanted to help their existing customers.

41. nipoco

nipoco

Here is one from the official Adobe blog where Mr. Nack says it is not legal in the comments section.
    Especially this should be interesting for you. There is someone with the same arguments as you (no official statement (?), downloadable without restrictions) But John says:
    I understand that you try to justify your download. There seems something free which costs usually a lot of money. What a great opportunity! Unfortunately it is just wishful thinking. Because it is, and never was the intention of Adobe to give that for free.
    And whether you live in Japan or not (as I do), the license is basically the same around the globe. And if that is irrelevant for you , doesn't matter that much.

I didn't have to dig deep to find that. I simply came across that as a Adobe customer living in Japan. And I don't know how officially you need it until you acknowledge that this is not legal? It is John Nack who said it is not for free riders... He is Photoshop product manager and thus a Adobe representative... On a official Adobe Blog... Along with the official statement done days before.

Your so called fact that it is publicly available doesn't make it free unless stated.
    Most important. What you don't see is the fact, that it still comes with a license that applies to people who bought CS2. Show me where Adobe changed their license that makes it free of charge.

Furthermore it is kind of funny. You always grind on the (allegedly) lack of a official statement. But there is no official statement that CS2 is free for everyone.

42. Dabeh

Dabeh

Still hasn't said it's illegal. He just said it's only there to benefit CS2 customers. They're purposely being vague.

43. nipoco

nipoco

Yeah I said that before. These guys are quite vague, the japanese statement aside.
    However, John's statement that it is not for people without CS2 license is pretty clear to me. That doesn't leave much room for misconceptions, does it?

Personally I wouldn't use it in the slightest case of doubt, until Adobe comes and says 'Yes it is free for everyone. Go and grab it!' But people have different views on that. And that is fine.

44. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

At the end of the day, They HAD to know that every Paint.NET and GIMP user would at least give it a shot. Regardless of original intentions, whats done is done and this will breed people to PS. I had the same thing with GMAX and when it was time, 3DS Just made sense (Good marketing as they take the loss now and get the reward when the sell a company many licenses instead). I've never heard of either AutoDesk or Adobe coming down on someone for piracy. (Not that I ever really cared to look.) I'd say you choose to take the risk or not. Its not really my place to tell people one way or another.

My verdict? Its "Officially" not legal but they probably won't care either way.

45. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Unless they're on a Mac made in the past 3 years or one that's running Lion.

46. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh yes the mac that can run windows...

47. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Yeah, because everyone who has a Mac is going to either
    1. Have Windows
    2. Pay $99 to use CS2 for "free"

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'm sure adobe could fit all the ****s it gives in a tissue box for them.

49. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You're dramatically missing the point.

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Then you said that those with macs can't use it because it doesn't support it... I then pointed out that in fact they can use Windows to run it if they want, you then decided that no one with a mac runs both OSX and Windows followed by me saying that I'm sure Adobe could not care less....

I don't see a missed point :-/