Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adobe CS2 free!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paradigm-SW, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Sweeet jesus! now if only pixologic would do the same.

3. HolBol

HolBol

I've always wanted premiere pro, never had the money.

4. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

This is fantastic!, thanks for the heads up :)

5. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Keep in mind that the Mac version is PPC only.

6. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks like system support stops at PPC macs and Windows XP ... PPC macs are pretty obsolete but there's probably a number of people still using XP. This is probably why it's free... .most of these folk probably aren't likely to be customers.

[edit] Yes.. does work on Windows 7, thanks for the tipoff

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  7. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

The XP version works up to Windows 7 at the least. You just need to run the installer and programs in compatibility mode for Win XP SP3 and make sure it runs in admin mode.

8. HolBol

HolBol

Works on Windows 8 Pro.

9. techmage

techmage

I can't see where you go to download these things...

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

11. Ocid

Ocid

Been trying to grab this all day. Won't send me password reset link.

12. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

So, the site is down. That's okay, because here are direct download links to all of the software, with keys(The activation keys aren't unique, everyone can use the same one.) Click on this link and scroll down to where it says "Wiki Community Board". Then click on the links that you want, and simply wait while they download! :) http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/874...suite-cs2-standard-pc-or-mac-digital-download

13. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you're running 10.6 on an Intel Mac, you can still use it.

--Eric

14. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

I'm currently using Gimp2.8 - is it worth changing to Photoshop CS2 for my pretty standard texturing needs?

15. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Once you get used to the power of Photoshop, even thinking about Gimp is like scratching your eyes with the unshaved skin of a poisonous cacti.

(That's a yes, get Photoshop ASAP if you can get it for free.)

16. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Gimp isn't that bad. I wouldn't ever use it voluntarily, but the cactus would probably be very irritating rather than poisonous.

17. Amon

Amon

Cant access any page. It's all offline saying the page doesn't exist. :/

18. Ricks

Ricks

That's pure bargain, but what are the legal conditions now?

Basically Adobe required a registration for everyone wanting the CS2 package. Shortly afterwards many people registered and due to much traffic didn't get access to the "legal download" and an appropriate key. Then some other people claim the key is universal and posted a direct download link, so the whole world will download it...

Does this mean it's "freeware" now, and allowed for commercial purposes (without registering!)? Looks more like this happened out of accident...

19. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Well, as soon as the website isn't down, I will :p I was just concerned that CS2 came out in 2005, but then again, Gimp hasn't exactly been moving forward much recently, and I can always go back to it if Ps doesn't work for me. Pretty much all my texturing involves drawing textures by hand with charcoal and pencils, scanning them in and stitching them together - I there aren't that many advanced features that I use.

20. khanstruct

khanstruct

Very. Very. True.

Its strange, because they both have the same basic functions, but when I tried using GIMP I about destroyed my computer in a fit of rage. There was lots of swearing... people became frightened. Parents huddled their children like they were in the caves of Helm's Deep. It was a frightening time.

21. Ricks

Ricks

22. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriank.../07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662

Oops. Turns out it was a mistake - although pretty much everyone is still reporting it as being free, and the direct download links still work. I've not yet installed it, and I'm waiting to see how this develops: if they turn back and say it's illegal to use it, I don't know how it'll be possible from them stopping people using it without stopping all users of CS2. And it'll be a MASSIVE PR disaster: they're already not the most highly considered company...

It seems like the wisest thing to do would be to let it continue being free, I mean, professionals are still going to continue using and buying CS6, and it might reduce piracy somewhat. And people might like them more.

EDIT: Gah, pipped at the post :p Nice one, Ninja Rick!

23. Ricks

Ricks

Nvm, makes assurance double sure :D

Yeah, I'm also interested how this works out for them. They will still insist on it being illegal to use for commercial purposes - but if they switch off their licensing servers and get rid off the account data any company could claim "I made my graphics artwork with CS2 which I bought years ago, prove me wrong", without buying any newer version. CS2 is still great and people say that principally 95% stayed the same in newer versions... so - -

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

So does it still work or not?

25. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

It works, but Adobe says it isn't legal to use if you didn't previously own CS2. It's sort of hard to enforce, though, seeing as this news has been taken up by so many people and new outlets that it's too late to stop the spread of people using the free version of CS2.

26. nipoco

nipoco

I already have a CS6 license.

27. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I'm going to ram illustrator down everyone's throat ^^ good guy adobe!

And I've just read page 2.. I wonder how such a mistake has happened.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  28. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

It's a shame because this probably generated the most goodwill Adobe has seen in years.

29. khanstruct

khanstruct

I am very interested in hearing how CS6 works. What new features it has, etc.

30. nipoco

nipoco

I barely use all new features but I like the new ability to edit videos in Photoshop CS6. It's not absolutely mandatory but a nice to have feature. I already used it some times.
    The vector drawing became also way more advanced and improved. So I use Illustrator quite rarely now.
    CS6 is also a lot faster in my experience, when it comes to expensive filters and high res pictures.

And while that is not the selling point for the majority yet, the 'retina display' support since a few weeks is great as well.

31. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

new features aren't that impressive, all thats really different is the fact that they've updated to a darker skin to follow every other 2012 product :L

Few nice illustrator tools such as the new 3d view/placement. really helps with perspective.

32. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Yeah, I wasn't much compelled to upgrade to CS6. Apparently most of the changes to all the software was under the hood so they could better facilitate adding new features in the future.

33. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This is pretty nutty. Are they really expecting to a) put a download freely available on the internet for the world's permier creative suite software worth more than $1000, b) give away working serial numbers, c) expect anyone not to completely bypass all of the hidden legal disclaimers/eula's/whatever that nobody reads and be good little people and not download it? And I agree it's great PR for them to give it for free... they surely don't stand to lose a whole lot from that.

So now I'm not sure if it's safe to keep using it.

34. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Given the announcement, I say you "can" use it but it's not legally safe. It's very unlikely you will be discovered but should you ever find yourself under an audit it may come up.

Currently on a mac I use Pixelmator, great alternative but sometimes still find myself wishing for the full thing. Acorn, also mac exclusive, is another great alternative (I use both actually, since each does a bit that the other does not.)

But I have been seriously considering to pay for Photoshop... not the full cost, mind you, just "rent" it. I don't have much interest for the other products, just Photoshop, so the single app month to month license of 19.99 may do it for me. ($29.99/mo if I want to cancel at any time.)

35. Ocid

Ocid

After this thing yesterday got curious about some of the older editions. Had a look and found some being sold really cheap as OEM's.

Anyone had any experience buying this way? The website made it sound like it was somehow different from a normal license you'd pick up from Adobe.

For £45 I'd seriously consider grabbing CS5 Extended next month.

36. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Indeed. But I suspect that they just don't care about goodwill - Photoshop is synonymous with digital image editing, so people who need it are going to buy it no matter what they think of Adobe.

37. J_P_

J_P_

I just bought a year of CS6 on the cloud. Anyways, I'm not sure CS2 would work on modern OSX versions.

38. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Without seeing the site (and I recommend you do NOT post it) I can't say for certain, but everything you're saying about it makes it sound like one of hundreds of sites which sell pirate software. In which case, the question you need to ask yourself is "is it wise to give my email address, paypal address and (potentially) credit card number to a company which sells illegal products?" If they sell pirate software, how likely is it that they're morally opposed to credit card fraud, trojans, keyloggers, etc?

39. Ocid

Ocid

I think you might be right phil. Googled around this morning about sites selling OEM software and while there wasn't anything specific relating to the site I was looking at there was issues in general raised about the legality of selling software marked as OEM. Seems strange aswell that for something they're offering as a digital download they wouldn't just give you a serial key.

I think in this case I'll stick with being safe than sorry. Sad really. After I seen it was looking forward to picking up a copy of Photoshop for that price. Time I've spent with the trials I've enjoyed alot more than using Gimp.

Still was not meant for anything more than a side thing learning to draw a little better.

40. SevenBits

SevenBits

No, it wouldn't. It's PPC.

41. DPortugal

DPortugal

Well played good sir XD

42. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

awesome!! thank yu, i now have used and produced something with photoshop cs2:)

43. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Even now that Adobe have this version on there website , its not legal for everyone to download.
    Its just a workaround for everyone that have legal Licens of the Adobe CS2 Collection and have an older OS that have problems with the activation service.

For every one else its total Iligal.

44. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

how do you figure? they released free software...

Idc i have a CS5 license,

I'm just curious about what your saying...

45. Tiles

Tiles

It`s about some rumour around the net. But no. It is not illegal. Some german well known computer magazine pages like Chip and Computerbild already links to the download page. They wouldn`t do that when this would be illegal. And i am sure there are many more happy linkers.

There is no official statement.Just the blank download page. Which is by the way free and public available. You don`t even need to log into your Adobe account anymore for the download. It`s after all the one who made the software that provides the download page including serials. And there is no hint at the page that the download and useage of the listed software could be illegal in any way.

The rumour that it could be illegal comes from an Adobe forum member, a moderator. That`s nothing official though. And some reporters made an elephant out of this fly here because Adobe officially plays dead. There`s another inofficial statement that adobe will not sue you for using CS2. Which weightens this rumour out i would say.

CS2 is de facto abandonware. Adobe is just so nice to release it to everybody. Officially to support the old CS2 users. Fact is you can`t upgrade from CS2 anymore. And there`s no support anymore. The registration servers are down. Which was by the way the reason for this action. And is the reason why they can`t even check anymore if you use it or not. There´s no way left to register CS2. Use it as is. As long as it works.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  46. Krileon

Krileon

I agree with Tiles, dug deep into the information available and seams completely legal whether you owned a CS2 license or not. Unfortunately it's crazy old and I find GIMP 2.8 to be better, which whouldn't have been the case if I was still on an older release of GIMP. Just wish Photoshop didn't cost $1,000, sunk my teeth into the CS6 trial and it was amazing (100x faster than GIMP 2.8). I know they have the cloud junk, but I'm not about to "rent" software, pass.

47. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

If you're a student you can buy the educational version of Photoshop for under $250 or the CS6 Master Collection for under $800. The great thing about educational software from Adobe is that it can all be used commercially if the software was originally created by Adobe (so not Flash, Director, or Dreamweaver).

48. Krileon

Krileon

Not a student, just a web developer and programmer by profession fulfilling a hobby, lol. Good information for those that are though, thank you.

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Fortunately it doesn't; it's usually $500-$600 depending on where you buy it.

--Eric

50. Krileon

Krileon

Sure if you don't get the Extended version you can get it for $500 off amazon, but the Extended is going to cost you $900 at 3rd party sites or $1,000 direct from Adobe. Regardless that's still a lot of cash I don't have as am about to get Unity Pro, which I'd much rather have.