Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adobe cancels Flash CS5 public beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ugur, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ugur

ugur

Yeah, announced today: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2009/12/there_will_not_be_a_beta_for_f.html
    Adobe has cancelled the public beta.
    I thought it might be interesting to some here since the upcoming flash ide should have iPhone deploy option, too.

The reasoning given there for canceling the public beta cycle is:
    "We are changing our plans in reaction to this strong positive feedback. We want to make sure that we can provide the earliest possible delivery of the final software to the large number of designers and developers interested in Flash Professional CS5 and the included Packager for iPhone."

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Or put differently, they don't want people to swamp the iphone with badly optimized games before its release, burying it with anti-advertising ;)

3. ugur

ugur

:) Well, yeah, hard to tell the actual reasoning.
    On one side i fully support them working some more on it before letting it loose on the public, from multiple angles (as you also noted) it could have a very bad effect for all if something half baked is released there, no matter if someone uses flash or not or whether someone works at Adobe or not or buys apps or not, it affects many groups.

On the other side i think postponing a public beta would have been much better than completely cancelling it after it was promised and with the reasoning they give they´re setting themselves up for even more pressure, because in case the released thing doesn´t turn out as expected people will nag em a good bunch for canceling a public beta in order to release it asap.

Well, interesting times in either case.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Fully agree on that.

I'm really looking forward to the good laughs I will get from flash based iphone devs that won't invest into macs but dream of releasing anything working who then can't debug / instrument issues when they get rejected ;)

5. Wadoman

Wadoman

I LOVE Flash!! I love working in flash, but this is how I feel about this cancellation.

"we think that what is most important is to get the release version completed and in your hands as quickly as possible"

Basically they want to rush it out the door for the iPhone market and it will be crammed with bugs because they didn't take they're time to properly test it. Then it will be years before it will really be up to par. Kinda like there 3D support in photoshop. Yeah it works, but just barely.

just my opinion

6. ugur

ugur

to dreamora:
    yeah, let´s see if they add some good debugging stuff before release.

to wadoman: yeah, that´s what many will think when it indeed feels rushed on release, the reasoning given in that announcement was really ill advised.

Adobe marketing has for several years had that problem of painting all rosy and overhyping things to a degree where the actual thing can´t come close to meeting expectations at all anymore and in this case they´re betting as high as never before, coming out with deploy support for all sorts of devices at once while longtime flash users are moaning about the lack of propper display performance even on highend desktops for many years. Then on top when a public beta is cancelled saying its due to wanting to get the things out of the door as fast as possible is the worst marketing spin attempt i can imagine.

Well, they move themselves into a position where at the end its: now they gotta deliver or customer reaction will be really ugly.

7. jtbentley

jtbentley

I did love that their examples of 'Flash' working on the iPhone were so amazingly primitive (AND choppy) :)

I don't honestly think that their Flash content is going to compete with anyone in gaming, but expect more sound boards and 'Epic Boobs' apps out of it... As if there isn't enough of those already.

Keep in mind, we're talking about the company that produces such awesomely stable and efficient products as... Adobe Acrobat Reader.

8. joew

joew

The only thing that Flash is going to bring to the iPhone is a much longer approval / QA queue which is not ideal for anyone.

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

Untrue
    You forgot about their even more primitive competitor: Gamesalad (the dev environment for people even having problems understanding for loops)

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I tried this game Alchemist, it should be realized with Flash CS5:

http://itunes.apple.com/it/app/alchemist/id348009084?mt=8

The game is nice but technically very, very basic.

I see that Gamesalad games are usually under 10Mb, and this is a good point that i would reach with very simply Unity projects.