Search Unity

Addressables work distribution among developers having huge amount of assets.

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by ArsenGamedev, Dec 18, 2019.

1. ArsenGamedev

ArsenGamedev

I work on a MMORPG project so we have a huge amount of assets stored in assets bundles. Now I try to migrate our project to addressables. Our project has tens of thousands of prefabs and when I converted all of them to addressables it took about 15 hours (about 5 seconds per prefab).
    As far as I understand the result of this 15 hours process is in the folder \Library\com.unity.addressables\ and more specifically in the file \Library\com.unity.addressables\catalog_BuildScriptFastMode.json .
    Since it is common practice to gitignore the Library folder it seems that every our developer will have to run this 15 hours process in order to get the addressables. This is very inconvenient for us.

So is there any way to increase the speed of the transfering prefabs to addressables?
    And is there a way to generate the addressables data outside of the Library folder?

2. ArsenGamedev

ArsenGamedev

I measured the execution time of the used method and found two slow ones
    settings.CreateOrMoveEntry:3.1sec
    newEntry.SetAddress:2.9sec

3. ArsenGamedev

ArsenGamedev

I have found that the the slowest operation in this whole process is SetDirty inside of CreateOrMoveEntry and SetAddress

4. VaygrEmpire

VaygrEmpire

you can change the location of your built assets using local build and remote build depending on your project preference. simply check your AddressableAssetSettings inside AddressableAssetsData folder and in the inspector change build path of desired profile for local/remote based on your preference. There should be documentation about these in your version's manual.

for speed, on the other hand, I don't know about that :/

Attached Files:

5. ArsenGamedev

ArsenGamedev

Actually I use those settings upload_2019-12-19_15-26-8.png
    As far as I understood that change the bundle built path only. And bundles do appear on that path.
    I need to change the location of data created after creating addressables data, not the location of bundles.
    I mean these settings do not change the location of \Library\com.unity.addressables\catalog_BuildScriptFastMode.json