Search Unity

Bug Addressables state.bin and link.xml not a good Perforce SCM citizen

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Ferazel, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Ferazel

Ferazel

I originally submitted a bug for this (1403492) but it came back as "by design" and said that I should explain the situation here on the forums. I understand the need for this file, but the implementation how this file is used doesn't play nicely with build servers or with perforce.

Whenever a build is made this file is added. Then later the addressable system will flag the file for deletion.

upload_2022-4-13_14-25-37.png

I feel strongly that a build should not be modifying any of the source files of the respoitory, yet addressables does it for 2. This link.xml file and the addressable contents_state.bin file. Both of these files could committed to the repro and set to +w (writable) but the problem with the link.xml is that Addressables feels like it should delete this file on InitializeOnLoadMethod forcing it show deleted to the default changelist by all of the developers that use this. If we keep this file deleted, it shows up after a build on the buildserver's file list (which again is not desirable).

Can you please change it so that this file is included with the package rather or imported and stays imported as part of the other data objects/files that are made when addressables?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    JauntyBearGames likes this.