Search Unity

Addressables & ResourcesManager missing

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by aurelien-morel-ubiant, Dec 10, 2018.

1. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Hello guys,
    why can't I see Addressable preview package and ResourcesManager preview asset into Package Manager even with preview activated.

It's quite a pain to search each time I deleted it somewhere on the forum to find again the right package name to write it myself into the json file.

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @aurelien-morel-ubiant

If these packages are not _discoverable_ in the Package Manager UI, it means the package has issues or the quality is not high enough. This prevents the package maintainers to increase its visibility level. I don't know how you were made aware of the existence of these packages but they are not meant to be shared widely.

Regards,

Pascal

3. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

By looking at the Addressables forum and the Unite conferences :)
    I think if the shared them on the forum and during conferences it seems to be something that could be get widely.

Is there no other wy to allow us to keep them visible if we know their existence by adding them at least once in our project to get them easily in the future ?

For the ResourceManager it is something that is downloaded automaticaly by the package manager when you get Addressables but there is an issue with that system :
    When we want to access to some method in Addressables you have to download by your own the ResourcesManager package otherwise you can't link it in your asmdef files due to the fact that it's not accessible to your project but only to the package that triggered this download.

5argon likes this.
  4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry there is no other way to make the package visible. Looks like the team is eager to share the package with the community!

As for the resource manager question. This is intended. You are required to make a package a direct dependency in your project to be allowed to use it. Otherwise, if someday, the addressable package switched its dependency to something else, it would break your project.

Regards,

Pascal

5. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Seems legit thanks !
    So this is the team that create their package to indicate the possible dependancies ?
    Cause currently you have to dig into the package downloaded into the Local cache folder to find the link or into Library cache package folder.

Anyway thanks for all those informations !