Search Unity

Addressables replacement of assets to differ between development and release builds

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by j4p20r, Sep 16, 2021.

1. j4p20r

j4p20r

Hi we've got a project with super big scene's in it. This causes the addressable builds to take incredibly long. I'm still learning as I'm assuming they don't always have to take that long (as the assets are not often changed), but update/build default usually seems to take all assets and just start rebuilding, even when there should be no changes in the scene's or the assets used therein.

So this is kind of a two part question, one would be, is it possible to explicitly exclude groups from an addressable build, but still keep the content. What I mean by this is that I'd like to build say group A in an update of the existing addressables and explicitly say don't build group B, but keep the previously build assets of that group in the content and hashes of the addressables of group B, so that if I make a new build the files of group B will be included, but just the once as they were the previous time I build them.

Part two would be (because i'd love to have this set up in our project) is it possible to have two sets of assets the heavy high res release assets (that take hours to build) but also the super low res development assets, that allow me to make changes in a certain scene, without having to rebuild that scene with the heavy assets.
    A small bit of clarification here: We're working on a networked application, so it is sometimes kind of required to build certain stuff, so you can test with the editor and a build and have two players on one computer.
    I know profiles are not made to be used in this way, but I'd like a release VS development profile, so to say, where it takes SceneADevelopment or SceneARelease. The scene would contain the all same prefabs, except for the environments. Most of our (heavy) assets are environments. These environments would in the development version consist of a plane or some super low poly world that kinda represents the release version.

Sorry for the long story, please let me know whether you've tried similar things or have nice tutorials or something similar for me to watch. I've tried searching a ton already and I'm getting my grips better each day, but I'm hoping you guys might help me even further.

Thanks for reading (and maybe replying)!