Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressables reliability

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by mateuszjaworski, Mar 20, 2020.

1. mateuszjaworski

mateuszjaworski

Hey,

Since our team migrated from asset bundles to addressables we experience various issues regarding this package. Each version above 1.1.10 introduces new bugs that we cannot solve ourselves (1.1.10 has a bug with scene loading in fast mode, but luckily we found workaround). Asset bundles were not perfect, but at least we felt like we could do something about it. At this moment unity marks asset bundles obsolete and we felt like moving towards addressables was a good move but... we kind of regret it. Is there any chance to make it stable in the nearest future? What is your plan to make it stable? At this moment it feels shaky to release a game that is based on this system. I don't want to sound rude, I am really curious what is your process of veryfing releases, so we can adjust to it. Maby documentation is super unclear and we - developers - do not use addressables properly and this is why everything works at your end, but not at ours.

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Hi @mateuszjaworski - I am sorry you have been unhappy with the stability of our recent releases. Over the next few months, our primary focus will be on stability, not adding new features. For the most part, the issues we know about fall into two buckets: Supporting large scale projects, and edge case bugs. If there is a specific existing issue that is of high importance to you, please let us know.

TigerHix likes this.
  3. Thermos

Thermos

Keep on going, 1.7.4 really fixed lots of problems. My only wish is that you guys could come to forum, give us some updates more often, it feels not good when dev silence for 1-2 weeks.

4. chanon81

chanon81

I've been super critical [1] of Addressables, but I believe it is getting better. They just need to quickly fix the remaining bugs like unity_bill says.

It is extremely worrying though that each new release seems to bring new bugs, such as 1.7.4 causing Build iOS issue 1.7.4 resulting in people reporting:
    Addressables is a core component for any game that uses it (if it doesn't work, the game can't load anything) so it really needs to be very robust. With constant bugs like this, that mindset still seems to be missing.

Personally I try to stick with releases that work and don't update too often. I am using 1.3.8 and everything seems to work fine, except sometimes Addressables disappear, but that is easy to see when it happens in source control.

From current usage, testing on devices and implementing remote downloading of asset bundles built from Addressables, I am somewhat confident even if I release with 1.3.8. But of course I'd prefer using the latest version if it was solid.

[1] - Reading that again, I know the answer to most of those things now .. mostly through Youtube videos. Also UI/UX back then was way more confusing than now, so it is good improvement. Documentation has also been fleshed out a little bit, but still probably hard to get started for new users. As for Async everything .. well you just have to live with it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    CanisLupus likes this.
  5. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

I feel like the dev response on this forum are actually pretty decent, considering. Other forums (like WebGL) are completely dead. No response from Unity in months...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    unity_bill likes this.