Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Addressables.LoadAssetsAsync<UnityEngine.Object> blocking other operation to be finish

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Kultie, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Kultie

Kultie

Hi, I'm having issue with API Addressables.LoadAssetsAsync. It seem to be blocking other LoadAssetAsync or InstantiateAsync operation until the LoadAssetsAsync finish.
    I'm using this API:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var op = Addressables.LoadAssetsAsync<UnityEngine.Object>(Keys, result =>{...}, Addressables.MergeMode.Union, true);
    Any idea how to resolve this?
    I'm using addressable 1.18.15 with Unity 2020.3.11f1

2. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, just wanted to chime in. I think what you're running into is an engine side limitation. Typically we see this behavior with scenes since they require integration on the main thread (you can read a little about it here: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AsyncOperation-allowSceneActivation.html). I imagine something that you're trying to load requires main thread integration, which would also block the async operation queue.

Unfortunately, that means I don't really have a good solution for how to resolve this. The thing I might recommend is to try and combine more of your keys into one load call, and as the assets are loaded you can cache references to them in a map. Then use that map to request assets after their initial load. I can't guarantee that'll work for you, since I don't know more about your project. It's kind of a shot in the dark. But, it might be something to consider and test out.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful, but I hope that gives some clarification on what you're seeing at least

3. Kultie

Kultie

Thanks, It's really helpful to know what might cause the limitation. There're some assets I need from addressable that are load with Awake callback (So as soon as the scene is loaded). I was able to reduce the blocking time significantly by combining multiple key into 1 load call like you suggest, the blocking still there but it tolerable.