Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressables for Objects Placed In Scene?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Nightcap_David, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Nightcap_David

Nightcap_David

I've been reading tons of docs and watching tons of videos on setting up addressables and I haven't found this info yet...maybe someone can help?

All of the tutorials show dynamic spawning of objects in scenes but what if you DON'T want that? Can you use addressables?

For example, I have a scene with various prefabs, assets, etc. placed in it. I really do not want to have to remove them and dynamically spawn them. But by having them in the scene in the editor, aren't they just loaded regardless of if I setup addressables for the prefabs, etc.?

If I convert the prefabs, etc. to addressables and load them into memory at the start of a scene, is that all I need to do? Or do I ALSO need to remove them from the scene and then spawn them to get the benefits?

Also the ONLY reason I want to use addressables is for smaller patching on consoles. My game is simple 2D and does not have memory/performance issues.

Thanks!

2. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

You can mark entire scenes as Addressables, so if you need to mix both Addressables and non-Addressables I recommend you to split your scene and have they loaded additively.