Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressables Event Viewer not working in 1.8.3

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by BTStone, Apr 24, 2020.

1. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there,

Using Unity 2019.3.2f1 and the latest Addressables version (1.8.3)

Don't know if this is a bug or not, but the Event Viewer does nothing.
    I ticked "Send Profiler Events" in the SettingsFile. Didn't help.
    I made sure that "Enter Play Mode Settings" aren't enabled so Unity reloads the domain and the scene. Didn't help.

Any other settings I missed or did I encounter a bug?

2. BTStone

BTStone

Bump.

3. phobos2077

phobos2077

It is working for me. However I remember facing similar problem with the previous Addressables release. It didn't work under certain conditions but I don't remember exactly how to reproduce it.

What Play Mode Script are you using? Try building bundles and using Event Viewer with "Use Existing Build". Also make sure the Event Viewer window is open and visible when you hit Play.

4. BTStone

BTStone

It is also working for me on a different machine (Mac) in an empty project, but not in another one with the same Unity version on Windows with a slightly populated project.
    The Event viewer is open and visible.

I didn't have to build bundles and it worked on the Mac without problems.But I changed the Play Mode Script to Use Existing Build, it was set to "Use Asset Database". Did a build with "Default Build Script" and tried it again. The viewer doesn't show a thing. Cleared the view, disabled and reenabled the record button. Nothing helps.
    @unity_bill any idea what's going on, this a bug?

5. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Curious! I'll flag this for the team to have a look!

BTStone and phobos2077 like this.
  6. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Alright, I connected with the team on this one. First, they'd like you to file a bug report so they can look into this further. https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Second, they suggested you hitting Clear in the Event Viewer while running the game. Sometimes that will make it start showing events.

7. BTStone

BTStone

Yeah I read the tip with the Clear button already in another forum post. Sadly didn't help.
    I will file a bugreport then.

8. BTStone

BTStone

Alrighty the. Bugreport is out: Case 1245384

9. unity_SRZXyHN7P3fFcA

unity_SRZXyHN7P3fFcA

Same issue here
    Unity: 2019.3.9f1
    Addressables: 1.9.2

10. unity_SRZXyHN7P3fFcA

unity_SRZXyHN7P3fFcA

@BTStone , do you have a URL to the bug report that we can follow?

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  11. CameronND

CameronND

I've had the same issue, usually clicking Clear fixes it although not always. Very frustrating that a window used for debugging doesn't work.

phobos2077 likes this.
  12. BTStone

BTStone

The "Clear"-Button didn't help. But I got mail back from Unity and they stated this is linked to the "Enter Play Mode"-Settings. I was sure (double-checked) that I had those disabled when the problem occured.
    As of now, they are disabled and the Event Viewer works.

13. KAJed

KAJed

Same issue here, but Unity 2019.2.17

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  14. Adrien_Danglard

Adrien_Danglard

Bump. The event viewer doesn't show anything for us either; Unity 2018.4.16f1, addressables 1.10.0.

If the problem is related to "Enter Play Mode" settings, is there no way to work around this without upgrading to 2019?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  15. BTStone

BTStone

@Adrien_Danglard If you are using 2018.4 there should be no Enter Play Mode Settings, since those have been introduced in 2019.3 - you have a different problem then.

16. Adrien_Danglard

Adrien_Danglard

Hmm I thought the problem was that you had to adjust these settings away from whatever the default setting is, to make the event viewer work. Which I can't do, since, as you say, this is not possible in 2018. (Hence the second part of my question.) But I may have misunderstood the problem.

17. wechat_os_Qy0zKHa8xTTrdbCQPE2utaWA0

wechat_os_Qy0zKHa8xTTrdbCQPE2utaWA0

Same issue here:
    Unity 2019.2.17
    Addressable: 1.11.2

glitchers likes this.
  18. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Reproduced issue with
    Unity 2019.3.15f1
    Addressables: 1.11.2

Event Viewer is empty when playing. Send Profiler Events is enabled, Enter Play Mode Options is disabled

19. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

The one bug mentioned as reported in here was closed as @BTStone mentioned because the Enter Playmode option to disable Domain Reload is not yet supported by Addressables. To anyone else still having issues beyond that, please report your issues as bugs so that they can be addressed.

20. doneykoo

doneykoo

Same issue here, with package v1.11.2

I'm using a temp fix as following to work around. (Though I don't know if it will cause any side effects.)

com.unity.addressables/Editor/Diagnostics/GUI/EventViewerWindow.cs:91
    change the last argument from `false` to `true`.

Code (CSharp):
    2.         void RegisterEventHandler(bool reg)
    3.         {
    4.             if(ProjectConfigData.postProfilerEvents)
    5.                 DiagnosticEventCollectorSingleton.RegisterEventHandler(OnEditorPlayModeEvent, reg, true);
    6.         }

Egil-Sandfeld and glitchers like this.
  21. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Thanks, but that fix didn't really work for me. It did start the Event Viewer, but there was no information about addressables assets being loaded/unloaded, just the FPS and MonoHeap:

22. doneykoo

doneykoo

1st, for "Send Profiler Event" checkbox,
    from the screenshot, since it is not showing a warning message, I assume you've already set "Send Profiler Event" option to `on`.

2nd, for "Play Mode Script" dropdown option,
    If it hasn't been set, then change it to `Simulate ...`, or `Use Existing ...`.
    If it has already been set so, and still no data, then I have no idea... sorry about that.

3rd, for the "Clear" button,
    like some other friends said, sometimes it could start to work after click the "clear" button once during Playing state. (well though not guaranteed)

23. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Doneykoo, that did it!

I had to change Play Mode Script from "Uset Asset database" to "Simulate Groups".
    Awesome!

24. Ghetaldus

Ghetaldus

Event viewer is not working here as well. Tested with all suggestions above.
    Unity 2019.4.3f1 and addressables 1.10.0.

25. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Same here, also tried all the things above. Unity 2019.4.1f1, Addressables 1.10.0. The Event Viewer is empty.

Our addressables are actually defined and built in a separate project, so we can keep the Unity version used to build them constant (for retrocompatibility with users of older app versions). This means that the app has Addressables enabled and accesses them remotely at runtime, but has no Groups whatsoever. Is this a problem for the Event Viewer?

(i.e. We can use Use Existing Build and build, even though there are no groups, but the Addressables are loaded from another place and defined in another project.)

We are having some trouble understanding what needs to be released exactly, and no way to check memory usage/references due to this.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  26. Upian

Upian

27. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

I hadn't noticed that was in the release notes! Thanks!

Unfortunately I cannot check yet since both versions 1.11 and 1.12 broke our code in different ways... Sigh. The problem we have with 1.12 sounds like a bug, actually, but I'll get to that later. Still need to fix the other one first. Thanks again.

28. sniffle63

sniffle63

Also was not working for me on 1.8.5, but hitting clear fixed it.