Search Unity

Addressables don't work after building from cloud

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by roshaantariq, Apr 17, 2020.

1. roshaantariq

roshaantariq

Hey guys,

So I have integrated addressables in my game and when I locally build the APK the addressables work successfully and the addressable data is hosted on my server CDN. But when I use cloud build to build my APK the addressable don't work in that APK.

What could be the issue? Is there any settings or script I should be looking to add in the game?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Not sure if this is relevant since I don't use addressables myself but I noticed the cloud build config has them turned off for my project. Maybe you just need to enable them? upload_2020-4-20_15-34-44.png

3. victorw

victorw

Can you give more details on what exactly you are doing? Are you building addressables using cloud build and running content update builds locally using the addressables_content_state.bin? If you are attempting to build addressables entirely separately from any links to the player then my understanding is that that will not work in any context.

4. roshaantariq

roshaantariq

hey @victorw I have simply build my APK from cloud and the addressables don't work when I use the APK from cloud build and the addressables work I locally build the APK. And I'm building addressables from cloud and I build them once and they work fine with my local build APK but when I launch the cloud build APK they don't work and it seems like they don't get linked or something. I'm not sure what exactly happening

5. roshaantariq

roshaantariq

Yeah I remember this and I have enabled it for my project

6. AcuityCraig

AcuityCraig

I have a similair situation where if I use cloud build to build the player i HAVE to create the addressables with UCB as well. But if I then rebuild just my addressables - locally or with UCB - they don't work. I have to do a full build with player + addressables. I may be using the updated an existing build feature wrong with addressables though.

7. pixelsage

pixelsage

My addressable is working correctly from my editor, but not when I run the app on my iPhone 11 Pro using a build from Cloud Build.

8. Kujo87

Kujo87

I'm having a similar problem with iOS. I can build locally and the app works fine, but when I build in cloud, it crashes on start up. I have it set to Fail build on addressable error, which doesn't happen, I get my build on TestFlight on complete, but upon launching, it hangs on a black screen and crashes after a few seconds. annoyingly no crash logs are going up to Apple when submitting feedback through testflight, so hard to narrow down if this is exactly an addressable issue.

Do I need to push at least the addressables_content_state.bin file for each platform to make it work? I assumed not figuring UCB would do this for me?

9. roshaantariq

roshaantariq

10. Aardvark_Fu

Aardvark_Fu

I've been having the same issues with Cloud build.

Addressables have to be the most outrageously frustrating system I've worked with in Unity, I use the entire unity pipeline thinking that would make things easier / faster / more productive; but things just don't ever seem to work right with the addressables.

As of now I can't even get Addressables to work from remote when building IOS from Cloud Build, using unity CDN - no problem with editor builds / local builds. Hella fun.

11. sanchitgng

sanchitgng

any solution to this till now, exactly the same issue.....anyone?

12. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

I am bumping in to the same issue. Can not produce any valid updates for addressables using Unity Cloud to CDN. It either produces invalid content, or crc mismatch error, and the only way to make it work is to rebuild, which defeats the purpose of publishing addressables updates automatically...

Very frustrating...

it's basically impossible to use in production as is. I am asking this as a genuine question, who is using Unity Cloud + CDN + addressables in production?

Bye,

Jean

13. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Hi @Jean-Fabre -- a few studios use Addressables + UCB + CCD in production (see one of them in this video here: https://www.niftygamesinc.com/2020/12/10/unite-beyond-the-engine-2020/). If you're experiencing issues, would advise submitting a support ticket and our team can look at your project and see if they can get you up and running.

Apologies for the difficulties you're facing getting this integration working.

14. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

I did submit a ticket (Case 1395670), let's see how to goes. Another dev is on the same path from our team just to cross experiences, let's see if he can manage to get it working. And I am not even yet trying to produce addressables from a tier project ( one project to produce assets, another to produce the application, to avoid having one monster of a project with dev tools unrelated)...

Bye,

Jean

15. sepheroni

sepheroni

I'm on the same boat.. the difference is that I'm using a private server instead of the CCD.
    I put some log messages and it looks like the app built by UCB is not trying to connect to the remote server to download the assets, it is looking at /private/var/containers/Bundle/XXX instead. I already changed the UCB settings to use the profile to look at the server.. but nope.. it ignores the option completely. Local builds work fine.

16. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Giving the size of the studio they feature to promote these cloud features, it's very likely that a Unity engineer is dispatched for proper help and guidances.

let's see how my ticket resolves.

Bye,

Jean

17. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi Jean,

Thanks for submitting a ticket. Although, I'm afraid I cannot find it in the system. Have you submitted it via the Dashboard or via the Editor?

18. mzr_developer

mzr_developer

has this problem been solved? i'm experiencing the same issue.