Search Unity

Addressables Disagrees with Nested Timelines

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by JonathanBartel, Mar 24, 2020.

1. JonathanBartel

JonathanBartel

So I have three issues that seem related to Addressables vs nested timelines. In troubleshooting, I found some old posts for similar issues with AssetBundles, but nothing regarding these issues and Addressables.

For context, I am using Unity 2019.3.6f1 and Addressables 1.7.4.

1. The first issue happens sometimes when opening a scene using Addressables, but not always (maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times) and it only started when we introduced nested timelines. It gets to 90-ish% complete and then flashes this error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'pred(*previous, *i)'
    I personally get the error 68 times before the game crashes with a null pointer exception on my main timeline. This is similar to this AssetBundle bug (link) that was fixed in 2019.1.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-21-17.png

2. The second issue is in the timeline itself when the scene does load, the nested timelines are not found. I was able to duct-tape fix this by putting all of the nested timelines into the same Addressable as the main timeline, but ideally, I shouldn't have to do this. This is similar to this AssetBundles bug (link) which appears to be pending solution.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-22-25.png

3. Regardless of how I handled the previous issue, the bindings are broken. The source object in this case is a GameObject in the scene hierarchy, but I've tried making it an addressable prefab and included it in the same bundle as the timelines, but it produces the same result. This is similar to this AssetBundles bug (link) that appears to have been fixed, though this particular thread doesn't specify when.
    upload_2020-3-24_11-26-3.png

If anyone has any advice, I'm happy to listen. Otherwise, I guess this is a heads up for the Addressables dev team.

phobos2077 likes this.
  2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

phobos2077 and JonathanBartel like this.
  3. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

4. JonathanBartel

JonathanBartel

@TreyK-47 I want to make sure we're on the same page, here. The first issue will sometimes cause the game to crash, but exiting play mode resets things. I understand an editor crash to be one that unexpectedly closes the editor application (and then opens the Unity Bug Report app.) By that definition, none of these issues will cause the editor to crash; they crash the game only. Should I still submit a bug report for Unity Editor?

5. phobos2077

phobos2077

I have similar error. It happens when I play in editor with pre-built addressable bundles. After a scene containing a TimeLine is loaded (from AssetBundle), I see a bunch of errors:

The Animator Controller (***) you have used is not valid. Animations will not play
    Assertion failed on expression: 'pred(*previous, *i)'

And no animation is being played.

6. huwb

huwb

Hi all, was a bug filed in the end?

I think we are seeing this with timeline bindings that are in nested prefabs - the serialisation/override system does not seem to understand the bindings in some cases.

7. huwb

huwb

Ok we figured out eventually that if the PlayableDirector had duplicated entires in the ExposedReferences array (visible by putting the Inspector in Debug mode), it would cause this issue. Simply removing the duplicated entry appears to fix it.