Search Unity

Addressables - building and removing assetpacks

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by duartedd, Dec 14, 2019.

1. duartedd

duartedd

Hello
    I am trying to set this up to remote load Addressables remotely - where i am at:

I created the asset packs - built them(clicked the build button> run default build script) where they were created in the serverdata folder - copied that over to the server - configured the load path - and built my game through the build settings in unity - for windows 64. before i built i unchecked use asset bunch cache option just in case on all the asset packs ( i have 3)

not sure how to test this out and how this should work to remotely load - i see a bunch of sharedassets0.assets 1 and 2 files in the _GAME_DATA folder

i am also not sure if i should have some sort of script that loads the assets from the server or if it is done automatically upon launch

so far i dont have any script and it is working but judging by the site of the game build folder that was created by compiling the game - im thinking its loading the files locally.

any help would be greatly appreciated!
    thank you!
    DD

2. duartedd

duartedd

here is a snippit of the shared assetsfolder - anyone know if these are my sprites/prefabs/sfx/videos/etc assets that reside in my game or if there is a way that i can find out what is packed inside of these files? i am guessing because the size of the files are quite large and my addressable assetpacks have been packed together to about that 2 to 3 gigs total and i dont have anything else that is taking up that much space added up together.
    upload_2019-12-19_16-53-38.png

3. duartedd

duartedd

are assetpacks and asset bundles different or the same if i want unity to build and strip the asset data from the build folder do i have to create an asset bundle instead of just an addressable assetpack or should it do that automatically if its set to remote build/load??????????

4. chanon81

chanon81

I am going to have to start looking into putting assets on remote server too and also have no idea about this.

It would be great if we had better documentation or step by step instructions.

The Addressables manual should have a page about this.

AskCarol likes this.
  5. AskCarol

AskCarol

I agree that there should be better documentation and we will get better about that in 2020 :)

You should take a look at this tutorial that @badgerdox created recently on how to update your Assets remotely:

davidla_unity, GB_HB and chanon81 like this.
  6. GB_HB

GB_HB

@AskCarol Thanks for sharing the video!

@duartedd if you still have problems feel free to reach out to me for help

davidla_unity likes this.
  7. Szafer128

Szafer128

@badgerdox I saw that your videos disappeared few days ago from YouTube. Will that be permanent?