Search Unity

Addressables are here!

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by audrey-unity, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaaaa6224

aaaaa6224

thx replay

and thx MrCool92

but, this is not my want

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class GameVersion
    2. {
    3.     public static string Version { get { return "1.0.0"; } }
    4. }
    i want
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [code=CSharp]public class GameVersion
    2. {
    3.     public static string Version { get { return ServerData.VersionValue; } }
    4. }
    so i try this

i will report it when it goes well

https://forum.unity.com/threads/0-3...faild-to-initialize-in-chrome-browser.553741/

2. ScionOfDesign

ScionOfDesign

Please make 'AssetReferenceT<>' also have the constructor from 'AssetReference' which takes in a GUID. I am making custom AssetReferences which are derived from AssetReferenceT<> and would like to pass around the GUID. I'd rather not have to edit the addressables package every time there is an update.

3. aaaaa6224

aaaaa6224

4. Wawro01

Wawro01

Hi, how to load scene which is not marked as Addressable in 0.6.7?
    If scene is added via build settings, I was able to load it with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var operation = Addressables.LoadScene("test2", LoadSceneMode.Single);
    in 0.5.3

But now it looks like that scene is not activated after loading and none of its game objects are shown in editor. Is there something like allowSceneActivation now or is it a bug?

5. Coryatmarsden

Coryatmarsden

Is there a way to get an object's "Asset Address" from a IResourceLocation? I am trying to store a scene configuration in a JSON file and I would love to be able to use the Asset Address but I can't seem to figure out how to get to it from a IResourceLocation.

6. piojo9

piojo9

How is Unity supposed to know which scripts to include in a build? With asset bundles, it just worked without needing any hacks. But when I make an Android build with addressable assets, the scripts aren't bundled into the player. Then when the assets are loaded, the scripts are all missing. I get these error messages:

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Spell_Attack') is missing!
    The referenced script (Unknown) on this Behaviour is missing!

It seems only scripts that are referenced from the start scene are included in the build. How are we supposed to tell Unity to include the scripts that are referenced by the packed addressable assets?

Psyco92 and rkanai like this.
  7. kethalak

kethalak

Hi,

My team is attempting to migrate our project to utilize the Addressable system. We have many direct object references that need to be converted to type specific AssetReferences such as AssetReferenceTexture and we are having some trouble automating this process.

I can mark an asset as addressable fairly easy by using
    settings.CreateAssetReference(guid)
    , but we need to populate the new AssetReferenceTexture field with newly created addressable texture asset. Is this possible? How can I get the AssetReferenceTexture from a particular asset?

8. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

I have not seen that behaviour yet and so far no script was missing.

9. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello, I have the same kind of issue.
    I've opened a thread about this here : https://forum.unity.com/threads/the-referenced-script-unknown-on-this-behaviour-is-missing.652861/
    Have you got the same symptoms ?

10. punk

punk

@audrey-unity

the new system is great, got a question tho

When I use the analyze functionality on the Addressables window to Isolate duplicate assets, it creates a new group for the duplicate assets which is cool. If I then clear my build cache and do it again it creates differently named duplicate groups.

I might not be quite understanding the way that functionality works cause the Docs are pretty scarce, but my question is if the Addressables were built on a different machine for a release or say you cleared your cache for whatever reason, would that not make it really difficult to sync those files an update for say a DLC especially if the DLC used assets from a previous file?

11. punk

punk

I suppose the answer be to use duplicate assets after release

12. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@punk If you want to update via a DLC (AND I assume you want to use using content update for that) you simply cannot easily share two consecutive builds. You need to keep all build addressables together with the content state bin to create the update (and even that is not always that stable yet and you can easily screw up).

If you want to build a DLC you are not necessarily tied to content update at all, you could as well rebuild all Asset Bundles and simply have a new bundle for the DLC. The only thing you really need is, that your application looks up the catalog initially from a well-known location, as this is the entry point which tells the AAS where to load which addresses from.

punk likes this.
  13. punk

punk

thanks that's what I thought

14. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Hi,

I'm working with asset bundles that are uploaded as Steam DLC. I currently have a build working where I build the DLC content as local bundles but in a subfolder of the streaming assets folder. When I make a standalone build I will have to remove the DLC sub-folders from the streaming assets folder before uploading that standalone build and the corresponding DLC bundles to their specific Steam depots. In the app itself, I will have to verify with Steam if the owner of the app owns any of the DLC content before trying to load the content into the app.

So right now that verification process happens in a manager script that has access to the app Ids for each of the DLCs. I was hoping to be able to add the app Id as meta-data in a custom group schema. But how do you add the data from a group schema to something that you can access at runtime? I imagine you would also need some sort of custom provider that understands how to read that specific meta-data and decide whether that content is available or not?

15. wirelessdreamer

wirelessdreamer

I'm currently moving a project from 2018.3.4 to 2019.1.0f2, because of the ui changes that affect 5.3 of aa, we were looking to move to 7.5 of aa, but it looks like PreloadDependencies no longer exists, and I don't see any function that looks like it would replace it. Can someone from the aa team give some guidance? @unity_bill

Thanks

16. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

How would I go about modifying the remote load path at runtime prior to initialization? Essentially players should be loading from different urls based on many different variables.

17. wirelessdreamer

wirelessdreamer

After updating to the current 7.5 package in 2019.1.f1 and trying to build player content I'm seeing:

LoadPath for group Default Local Group is set to the dynamic-lookup version of StreamingAssets, but BuildPath is not. These paths must both use the dynamic-lookup, or both not use it.
    BuildPath: '{UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Addressables.RuntimePath}/[BuildTarget]'
    LoadPath: '{UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Addressables.RuntimePath}/[BuildTarget]'
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)

the build path and load path are both exactly the same. @unity_bill any ideas?

18. kethalak

kethalak

Hi.

I'm using Addressables for our assets but it seems our meshes lose all of their vertex colors when loaded from their bundles.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It's a pretty big problem for our particular use case as our vert colors are housing important data about the meshes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

19. iamarugin

iamarugin

Maybe you should untick "Optimize mesh" toggle on these meshes.

20. Zhuijiang

Zhuijiang

hi,I have a question about this system.I can know the asset address, but i cant know what assetbundle's name is. I wish use the api Addressables.GetDownloadSize(), but i dont know how to input the param. what the assetbundle's name rule is. another question, "load" is async, so if i am runing my game, i want to load some sprites when i open a ui panel, i want to use the sprite, and the sprites are locate in remove, it will delay?

21. Zhuijiang

Zhuijiang

Once I run my app in unity editor,it will print a warnning message:Detected stack overflow when accessing AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.Settings object. who can tell me why? how i should to solve it?

22. FabioFZynga

FabioFZynga

I've noticed that by calling Addressables.LoadAsset there is ALWAYS at least one frame delay before the loadTask completes even if the asset is stored locally, further more the Task seems to be updated by the main thread so there is no parallelism going on there and there!
    I get that the call is meant to be asynchronous but shouldn't the returned Task at least be updated on a parallel thread so we programmers can choose to wait for that Task to finish if we want to provide synchronous loads?
    At the very least I shouldn't be forced to loose a frame every time I want to load an asset..
    Is there any plan to fix this?

Thank you!

milanm and Tony707 like this.
  23. _watcher_

_watcher_

Hey, how can i disable the Debug.Log-s from Addressables? The messages come from AddressablesImpl.cs::LogFormat, which is a wrapper supposedly conditional on LOG_ADDRESSABLES Scripting define symbol (source), but in my case, my Scripting Defines are empty! Help!

24. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

Hi,

I was using AssetReferenceTypeRestriction but now it has been removed and now I don't know how to restrict by type. The release notes says to do it by Generics, but I don't know how. Also there is a new one called
    AssetReferenceUIRestriction but no luck either. Any help will be very welcome.
    Thanks!

[EDIT]
    Just found it. There is some example in GutHub on how to do it. Currently there are 4 predefined filters (AssetReferenceGameobject,AssetReferenceTexture,AssetReferenceTexture2D,AssetReferenceTetxure3D). And then you have the generic:

Code (CSharp):
    2. [Serializable]
    3.     public class AssetReferenceMaterial : AssetReferenceT<Material>
    4.     {
    5.         public AssetReferenceMaterial(string guid) : base(guid) { }
    6.     }
    Do we really need to write exactly that for each of the types that we would like to use? Even if they are default unity ones like material, audioclip, mesh... won't it just work with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public AssetReference<SoundClip> mySoundClipReference;
    [EDIT2]
    Previously we were able to create an addressable asset (a prefab with a script class named "ExampleA") and use AssetReferenceTypeRestriction with that specific type ("ExampleA") so you can only assign GameObjects with of type "ExampleA". This seems not be doable anymore with the current generic method, because even if you create everything perfectly nothing shows up in the dropdown because ExampleA it's a component of a GameObject, and this seems not supported.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  25. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

I just wan't to add my grain of salt in here for usability. I don't really understand what's the reason for replacing the inspector default asset browser for a dropdown list with a search field.
    I see some workflow issues:
    1. Usually you don't see what are you selecting (see screenshot)
    2. The drag and drop works weird (it's like offset, doesn't update instantly...)
    3. You cannot drag and drop multiple files at the same time
    4. You lose the possibility of finding the asset in the project folder once and asset has been assigned
    5. The search only search for exactly the same match
    Unity has had for a long time a good way of assigning references in the inspector. Please, don't change it for worst.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    RecursiveFrog and elhispano like this.
  26. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Unity doesn't serialize generics that way. That's why you need to wrap it like that.

27. elhispano

elhispano

I see mandatory to address those usability issues before the final release

RecursiveFrog likes this.
  28. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Going to be quite negative, sorry about that, but coming back here after 6 months of delving into the addressables I begin to be very confused.

First, I'll ask the same question as I did previously: why does it have to be async? Is it just to support remote bundles and force the user to do everything async, "the right way"? If that's the case, then addressables miss a very important use case, that being splitting the game's data into bundles. Why would you need to split the game's content into bundles? A bit of use cases, primarely avoiding troubles with patching.

The developers of Oxenfree did exactly that: they made their own addressables system, packed as much as they could into bundles and just had the scenes reference them, loading and instantiating data on start and runtime. All of that just to avoid 2 rules on Nintendo Switch: not reading the same files on storage too many times and avoiding big patch sizes.

Currently, addressables do not allow such workflow, because you cannot just take something that is referenced in your scene, make it addressable and have it instantiated at runtime, because all of the operations are always async. Well, you can boot your game's scenes from the manager and manage all of your assets loading there, but it completely, utterly destroys your workflow, because you'll also need to do the same thing in the editor.

Recently, a sample of hardcoded sync addressables dropped on github, but it's also not useful at all, because initialization of addressables is also async. Why? I just don't get it. I don't think you get any profits at all from even that one being async. Thus, again, it also does not allow to apply the workflow that I described.

Second is that the assets are not being obfuscated at all. I get that one, it is to be able to call assets both by their name and by the asset reference, but I think that at least obfuscating the names of the bundles (especially in split mode) would be welcome, and obfuscate everything in the provider file if the user would want to stick to the references only.

In the end, all of that just makes me sad, because I love addressables as a concept, but, as it seems to me, just in order to support the widest amount of use cases and at the same time make the API unified across them, some very crucial applications become impossible to do. Don't think people would be that oblivious to use a wrong API call when loading from a different bundle type.

faolad likes this.
  29. M_R

M_R

you can grab the parts of that sample you want and make your own custom wrapper/provider with your rules. the sample on github is a sample.

that would be a job for your custom provider/schema.
    Obfuscation cannot be done by the engine, because then one only needs to crack it once and all the games are cracked.
    if each dev has its own obfuscation (if/when they need it) then each game needs to be cracked separately.

INSANE_BR and karl_jones like this.
  30. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

As I stated, the core initialization of addressables happens in async. Because of that it is impossible to write a sync provider that would be of use to me, because no matter what, it is impossible to load assets on the first frame in the Awake/Start methods.

31. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

I don't get it. Why would you want to block your application to load stuff? If you want to load things before initializing your game create a loading screen then.

32. chanon81

chanon81

I agree on some of your sentiments. See here for my comment about sync/async
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/fee...-addressables-at-runtime.542063/#post-4537408

I think Addressables is either over-engineered or it just wasn't designed with the most common use cases in mind. This may be rectified if they add real-world usable sync providers into Addressables itself (rather than as a github project).

Addressables is built to be so flexible that you can switch out/switch in or write providers for anything. But the most common use case - just make sure required asset bundles are downloaded and then let people load stuff with sync calls, is not supported.

Instead you have to use async everywhere unless you wrap it yourself.

Yes. The only way is to preload/cache them in a separate scene/gameobject first.

Almost everyone will run into this same issue, and instead of Addressables providing a sane API, instead it wants you to litter all your code with async calls (or worse - callbacks, if you're not using async/await) ... and have things "blink" into existence by default. (Or write your own pre-caching framework on top of it just to make it managable.)

Additionally, sorry to be negative, but as I complained elsewhere, the documentation is very thin. People haven't been able to replicate the basic workflows such as Build for Content Update - which is either a failing of documentation or QA and very likely UX. And regarding QA - there are many bugs.

Yes, it is preview, but I hoped there would be a clearer progression after months of first using it.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  33. _watcher_

_watcher_

I concur here. I have some inter-dependencies between some systems that all initialize in Awake (PreAwake) and some require assets to load during initialization, while others depend on their initialization to finish to continue.

Where i would normally use Resources.Load() or similar synchronous system (AssetBundles), i decided to try Addressables for everything, and it required me to create a generic system where i 1) wait for Addressables initialization and after that 2) manage all systems' inter-dependencies asynchronously, so those that have them, load in a sequence, while also considering a custom Script execution order (SEO) of others that i have in place that is infact synchronous and doesn't depend on asynchronous execution. So introducing Addressables brought another layer of complexity, where i have to resolve a matrice of SEO and Async addressables calls to properly sequence the execution. Which in turn makes the custom SEO i have in place Asynchronous, from the moment the first Addressable LoadAsync is required. You might reason that having Addressables broke the custom SEO i had in place, as it can not be used in its capacity, but doesnt it apply to the native SEO Unity is using - as well?

Preloading all addressables you'll need in another scene before you start your main - this might certainly work, but what if you dont know what you'll need and would like to stay decoupled?

First time i saw the unified remote/local fetching "make it all async" approach i was really excited about the idea. Until (during implementation) i realized the many advantages of also having a synchronous alternative ;).

Yes, Synchronous Load option in Addressables would be nice.

chanon81 and Kolyasisan like this.
  34. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

To avoid patching problems on major platform holders. For example, there is a rule on Nintendo Switch that does not allow the developers to make patches more than a certain size and read from the same ROM section too often. Right now, without sync methods, it is quite challenging to do with addressables in many situations.

Let's say that I have a scene, with a bunch of references of assets in it. This makes my scene and sharedAssets files bloated, so if I'll change something very minor in the scene, the whole scene and/or the assets files change, leading to a bigger patch size. In order to avoid this issue, it is important to store as many of your assets as possible separately, like in asset bundles, and dynamically load and instantiate them at runtime instead of vanilla prefab instantiation via a reference.

In case if we manage our assets in async during the core scene load, it is fine, but it is unusable in editor, because every time you'll want to enter the play mode you'll need to load the loader scene, perform loading again and only then load the assets. That or make a custom update manager with custom Awake/Start methods that are executed only when you allow them to (e.g. after the assets are loaded). Not the most graceful solution if I say so myself.

35. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

Is it mainly the patch sizes you see as a difficulty regarding addressables? I’m trying to imagine how they would create an issue hitting the same ROM too often in a short time if your Assets are loaded up inside Start and only on new scene loading. Am I missing something?

I know that Start can be declared as IEnumerable. Can Awake?

Code (csharp):
    3. private IEnumerable Start(){
    5.   ShowLoadScreen();
    6.   yield return loader.status; // however you want to define it.
    7.   HideLoadScreen();
    9. }
    If so, they could yield on a loading system’s YieldInstruction, beneath a loading screen. Agree that it’s not as straightforward as void Start, but it’s an option for situations like these.

36. _watcher_

_watcher_

I asked this before, but got no reply, and its pretty annoying so ill ask again: any way to disable the console log from Addressables?

37. tencnivel

tencnivel

Hello, for people like me that need a single function to load assets whatever the mode (playing or editor)

What do you think of the following utility function ? especially in terms of memory usage (because of Task) ?

NOTE: tested with Addressables System V0.8.4

Code (CSharp):
    2.    public static async Task<T> LoadAsset<T>(string key) where T : UnityEngine.Object
    3.     {
    4.         #if UNITY_EDITOR
    5.                 return UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<T>(key);
    6.         #endif
    7.         if (Application.isPlaying)
    8.         {
    9.             AsyncOperationHandle<T> handle = Addressables.LoadAssetAsync<T>(key);
    10.             await handle.Task; // wait for the task to complete before we try to get the result
    11.             T result = (T)handle.Result;
    12.             // Addressables.Release(handle); // DO NOT release the handle! that would make the loaded asset null when in virtual mode or packed mode
    13.             return result;
    14.         }
    16.     }

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Pixelnest and FloBeber like this.
  38. FloBeber

FloBeber

It seems like PercentComplete is always 0.

Could someone from the Unity team answer that VERY important question please?

Is it possible to get the load progress in 0.8.4?

39. johnseghersmsft

johnseghersmsft

I posted similar code over here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/asyncoperations-dont-complete-in-editor-context.682339/#post-4569181

The main difference is that I made it not an async method. That means that in the in-editor case, it returns a completed Task object.

The benefit of this is that it doesn't wrap the Task by an additional Task. Instead, in the Runtime case, it just hands back the Task object already implemented by AsyncOperationHandle. The calling code is the same in either case since it needs to await the returned Task.

I very much agree that the code should be the same for in-editor and runtime.
    [Edit: fixed location of Quote tag]

40. citizen_12

citizen_12

I have the same problem when trying to build the Basic AssetReference project (Android) from the Addressables-Sample (master) github repo. Addressables version 0.8.6 on Unity 2019.1.5. Just not ready for Android, it seems.

41. faolad

faolad

I keep getting this "Could not produce class with ID 91". I know it is AnimatorController related and that It was probably stripped out. I try having an empty animator controller on resources and adding 'UnityEngine.RuntimeAnimatorController' to my link.xml but without any success. The only thing that seems to work is disabling "Strip Engine Code*" on Player settings. The thing is it happens on IOS only and start happening when migrating the project to addressables. Is there any other work around this? any suggestions?

42. piojo9

piojo9

You should post the whole relevant section of your link.xml file. I wouldn't assume it's the right specification without seeing it. However, this should be done automatically (a link.xml file should be created by the addressable assets system), but perhaps it's not being done correctly.

43. faolad

faolad

Is there a specific place where the link file is automatically created? Cause I don't see one created. I manage to make them work including a script referencing Animator in a scene out of the Addressables. But now I have issues with StateMachineBehaviour. I didn't use to have. but now without really changing anything, now I can't send a value to the state machine without getting a null reference exception.

44. faolad

faolad

This system just keeps getting better. Without changing anything related and for no reason at all, a script component disables itself. !!

45. piojo9

piojo9

@faolad Without seeing your link.xml file, it's impossible to know if you reference the needed assemblies/classes/functions correctly. As for the file Unity generates when you build addressable assets, the path of mine is:
    Library/com.unity.addressables/StreamingAssetsCopy/aa/Windows/link.xml

faolad likes this.
  46. _watcher_

_watcher_

Make sure you don't have any compilation errors. Sometimes when i get a script compilation error in-say Update of a script component, it disables itself to prevent further execution and error spam in console.

faolad likes this.
  47. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was wondering if anyone could comment if the Addressable system is ready for production yet (stable enough to release in a live game)? I believe I read somewhere that a Unity developer mentioned they would not be ready for production until the second half of 2019. I was wondering if this is still the case, or could someone speak on their experience using them?

48. unknowndevice

unknowndevice

Using it in a game I've been demoing at shows and it works fine for me!

49. stefankohl

stefankohl

I'm using it in two projects, a simple one and a complex one (based on the amount of assets and codes).
    Despite some non-breaking bugs, it works fine in the simple project. However, it completely falls apart on the more complex project when running on consoles.

piojo9 likes this.
  50. novaVision

novaVision

Question to developers - will addressables provide a custom web request option to download the resources from secured cloud server, such as AWS S3 bucket, where we need to provide S3 policy key to access the content?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.