Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressables are here!

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by audrey-unity, Jun 15, 2018.

1. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

Thank you for reporting this. we have been focusing on mobile and desktop support. We have started addressing the console compatibility issues, and will continue over the coming months.

arvzg and futurlab_peterh like this.
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

looks like it's a bug in our catalog loading system. Thanks for letting us know, I've logged it.

3. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

The fix for this is coming in the next release (.5), but the short version is that you're getting this due to accessing addressables too early. Most likely in an awake. You can also see it if you are in play mode and your scripts are recompiled (even if you don't access in awake). Fix is on it's way.

Quatum1000 likes this.
  4. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

@unity_bill
    Hi when I open the Addressables window in editor and select a Group, I've got following error that sometime don't allow to rename a group. (Unity 2018.3.0.b8 + "com.unity.addressables": "0.4.6-preview")

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.repaint
    2. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:311)
    3. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8944)
    4. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:8928)
    5. UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressableAssetGroupInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@0.4.6-preview/Editor/GUI/AddressableAssetGroupInspector.cs:69)
    6. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DoOnInspectorGUI (System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, UnityEditor.Editor editor, System.Boolean wasVisible, UnityEngine.Rect& contentRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1608)
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

5. igoraleftinovich

igoraleftinovich

Hi!

Is there any way to get address of the prefab from C#? Something like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField]
    2. GameObject m_prefab;
    3. ...
    4. string prefabAddress = Addressables.GetAddress(m_prefab);
    Thanks!

6. jedh

jedh

Is there a general best practice with streaming remote assets from a CDN using asset references? I'm not quite understanding how you can stream in new remote assets if you need to have the addressable existing in the build in order to link the references.

Additionally, in packed mode, is there a way to force the loader to hit the CDN? I don't think the addressables I have set to the remote load path are actually hitting the CDN (just using the build paths on the hard drive instead)? Thanks!

7. alexvirtro

alexvirtro

Hi, looking forward to this new system, it's looking really cool! I was just wondering if it was possible to use addressable assets to store scripts and load them in between unity projects? It seems like they have to be pre-compiled to be read during run-time. And if you have any resources for setting up a load path from your own server? Right now it's still reading from the local hard drive.

Cheers, thanks

Alex

8. jedh

jedh

Additionally since the latest update something happened and my entire project is now boned, here's the error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressableAssetSettings.FindAssetEntry (System.String guid) (at C:/Users/jedh/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.addressables@0.4.8-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettings.cs:885)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressableAssetSettings.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromAssetPaths) (at C:/Users/jedh/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.addressables@0.4.8-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettings.cs:1165)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressablesAssetPostProcessor.set_OnPostProcess (System.Action`4[T1,T2,T3,T4] value) (at C:/Users/jedh/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.addressables@0.4.8-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetPostProcessor.cs:32)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.LoadSettingsObject () (at C:/Users/jedh/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.addressables@0.4.8-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.cs:52)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.get_Settings () (at C:/Users/jedh/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.addressables@0.4.8-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettingsDefaultObject.cs:101)
    UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.AddressableAssetsWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/Users/jedh/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.addressables@0.4.8-preview/Editor/GUI/AddressableAssetsWindow.cs:67)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:261)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:392)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:216)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

It's GUI based by the looks of it - re-downloading the packages, deleting the obj and Library folders have done nothing. Rebuilding hasn't done anything either. Any advice? Bit of a major stop gap for me.

9. MarcoWilliamsMS

MarcoWilliamsMS

Allan-Smith, did you ever get any resolve to your #2 question. This is actually a requirement from Apple. I've been rejected twice for our game submission because we were not providing the total size of the downloaded assets before loading the game. Does anyone know if there is a way to get Total Download size? In addition, does anyone know if apple will just allow you to get away with specifying only the percentage complete?

10. MarcoWilliamsMS

MarcoWilliamsMS

Never mind, I found this side thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/req...pre-downloading-caching-remote-groups.537354/

11. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

For both of you, if you could open a bug through the Unity Bug Reporter, that would help us get the info we need. Including your project or a sample project would be great.
    Thanks for trying out addressables,
    Bill

12. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

Can you elaborate on exactly what you're getting rejected for? The rule mentioned in the thread you later link says must comply after January 1st, 2019. So I'm wondering what's causing you to be turned back today.

Thanks for the info,
    Bill

13. Mazak

Mazak

Hello Everybody,
    I have been wanting for this feature ever since I started using unity... a long time ago.

How dangerous is the code base with the current 0.4.8?

Is it good enough to begin trusting it for our beta? I am an old developer and can fix anything.

One feature I am trying to figure out is how to share a ship prefab between the launcher and game. The goal is to introduce a ship/weapon/shield - display it in the launcher to allow players to purchase the item(s) and use it in the game.

I would prefer having one prefab that is shared between the two projects.

Thanks! Keep up the good work.
    David

14. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

Our next release is probably the one I'd call "not too dangerous". We have been telling people not to use addressables to ship a game until a little bit into 2019, but if you are willing to bear with us as we solidify things, you are welcome to use it now for your game. The largest changes coming up are changes to the build script. So if you need to write your own custom build system on top of ours, then you might have to change some things as we change the underlying behavior. If you are largely good with out-of-the-box functionality, then you can probably use it.

sounds like you have two separate Unity projects that are built into two separate games? if you can make Unity in general share prefabs across projects, then addressables can. As far as I know, that's doable, but requires more details to setup than I can reasonably add here.

-Bill

Mazak likes this.
  15. Mazak

Mazak

Thanks Bill,

Shields up we are going in!

16. arvzg

arvzg

Is there any update or ETA at all on console support? I'm in the early stages of development, so I'm happy bearing through any early bugs with Addressables, but with Addressables completely breaking compiling in builds for consoles, I can't even begin to use it in my project right now

17. FlorentFal

FlorentFal

Hello,
    I'm trying to execute a content update worklfow on an android project. But when I click on "Build for content update", I've to select what should be if I'm refering to your LA demo an "addressables_content_state.bin" file created on last build. But on android build, I'dont find any thing like that, only following files: myBuild.apk, myBuild.obb & myBuild-0.1-v1.symbols.zips (Unity 2018 beta8)

What should we have to select for mobile builds (both android and iOS) ?

Thank you for your help & keep the good work, my game should be publish next year and is based on prefab variants and addressables systems (to load only assets that match devices ppi) so I think it's not my last question !!

Have a nice day

Florent

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM