Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressables are here!

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by audrey-unity, Jun 15, 2018.

1. unity_bill

unity_bill

Unity Technologies

Several people made comments above about issues with AssetReference's either in arrays or in classes. Most of those cases are resolved in the upcoming 0.4.x release. The exception being a list or array of some class, where that class contains asset references. That one will be fixed, but not in this release.

akinama and hopeful like this.
  2. henkjan

henkjan

I've managed to install the Addressables System (and also the Resource Manager and Scriptable Build Pipeline). But when I select an asset (from the project window) there isn't a addressable checkbox in de inspector window! The only way to mark an asset as addressable is by dragging it to the Addressables window.

Am I missing something?

I'm on Unity 2018.2.11f1 on Windows btw.

3. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

That never worked for me either, just drag the asset to the group in the addressables window.

4. henkjan

henkjan

Thanks, I thought it was me :)

5. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

That checkbox has been disabled since 0.2.2 due to a bug.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/release-announcements-and-notes.543537/#post-3591824

henkjan likes this.
  6. David_GameDev

David_GameDev

Is it/ will it be possible to assign different labels to files in folders in Addressables.

What I mean e.g.: I have a Group "Content 1", and in it I have a Folder called "Shirts" and in that folder, I have couple of meshes, to which I would like to assign different labels, however, currently, it is greyed out and I can assign a label only to the Folder which then overrides the children labels.

Also, where can I create new labels, I only have a label “default” but don’t see anything/anywhere where I could add new labels.

Thanks in advance!

7. Elhimp

Elhimp

Top left corner of addressables window -> Profile: Default* -> Inspect Profile Settings -> Labels -> +

*Or not default, if you've created your own profile, which then can be accessed and Inspected from project catalog tree

David_GameDev likes this.
  8. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

So when is the addressable asset system going to be available through the Package Manager instead of having to add it manually to the manifest json?

9. Yozaro

Yozaro

It already is at least in 2018.3 beta.

10. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I am using 2018.3b4 and it is not in there

11. Yozaro

Yozaro

Try clicking the "Advanced" dropdown (next to the search field) and select "Show preview packages".

12. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Like I said, it is not listed
    Screenshot.png

Still have to add it manually to the manifest json before it is listed in the Package Manager. Even though the documentation says otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 6:08 PM
  13. PNordlund

PNordlund

What kind of content protection mechanisms will be supported by the Addressable assets system?

14. JiMMaR

JiMMaR

tl;dr: Is there a way to include some assets in the local build but be able to update them later on ?

We have some assets in our game that we would like to bake in the build [for offline mode if the user never went online for example].
    we would also want to be able to update those assets later on, is that possible ?

15. foxsterling

foxsterling

I must be missing something. I have setup a local addressable group (LocalBuildPath/LocalLoadPath) since I don't have an external host setup. Things work fine in the editor. But when I build to PC and run from the built files, the asset doesn't load. I've only tried to load one asset this way so far. I have other instances of the asset on the scene to make sure it is in the local build, and they show up. But the AssetReference fails to load.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class Weapon : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     public AssetReference projectile;
    4.     public Text text;
    6.     private Projectile projectileInstnce;
    8.     void Start()
    9.     {
    10.         projectile.Instantiate<Projectile>().Completed += ProjectileLoaded;
    11.     }
    13.     void ProjectileLoaded(IAsyncOperation<Projectile> op)
    14.     {
    15.             if (op.Result)
    16.             {
    17.                 projectileInstnce = op.Result;
    18.             }
    19.             else
    20.             {
    21.                 text.text = "Failed to load asset";
    22.             }
    23.     }
    24. }
    In editor, the asset shows. Running the built files, my text window shows "Failed to load asset".