Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressable Scenes

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Doomchecker, May 22, 2022.

1. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

My understanding is that when I have a scene marked as "Addressable", everything in that scene will be included in the same addressable bundle.

Let's say I only mark a scene as addressable and nothing else.

From what I understood is that EVERYTHING in that scene will be regarded as addressable and put into that bundle. Not only the prefabs with all the materials and textures and stuff, but also ALL references on any prefab withing the scene to prefabs that are not necessarily placed in the scene, will also be included in the same addressable group.

So to make it simple my addressable groups will only have a bunch of scenes - and later, when the project reaches finalization, I would run the analyze tool to create the dependency groups automatically.
    Within the scenes I would instantiate old school gameobjects, use pooling, do whatever I want, it's all addressable allready so I don't have to bother anymore.
    Unloading an additive scene (Addressables.UnloadSceneAsync()) is enough (despite only the scene being marked addressable) for all assets to unload, no need for Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets shenanigans.

Am I correct here, missing something or on the complete wrong track?

Much appreciated any help here!

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  2. spiney199

spiney199

No this isn't correct.

If you mark a scene as addressable, the scene is addressable, but it does not automatically make any referenced prefabs and other assets addressable. If these assets themselves aren't made addressable, they will be duplicated when building your addressable groups.

The Analyse tools can show you where these duplications appear.

3. Doomchecker

Doomchecker

Thank you for clarifying this, apparently I totally misread another thread.
    Docs are not really beginner-friendly but I'm getting forward.
    Thanks again!

spiney199 likes this.