Search Unity

Addressable Group References Becoming Unhooked, Schema Assets Deleted When Switching Changesets?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by bvance, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvance

bvance

Hello!

I've been attempting to make use of the Addressables system, but one problem my team keeps running into is that often upon swapping between changesets using PlasticSCM, the 'Addressables Groups' window will suddenly become empty (where it is supposed to contain a number of Addressable groups!)

The group assets THEMSELVES continue to exist, but for some reason the editor is choosing to a) remove all references to them in AddressableAssetsSettings.asset, b) remove all references to the auto-generated schema assets within e.g. "Packed Assets.asset", and c) actually delete the existing schema assets that had been sitting in the project (the ones in the Schemas folder that have long GUIDs in their asset names).

These various undesired project modifications end up showing in version control as modifications and and deletions; thus if I revert these, things return to normal and my project stuff is all still functional & intact! Yet of course it's not reasonable to ask everyone on the team to 'save project and then revert' every time they hop changesets, haha.

I've been attempting to narrow down some specific trigger for this phenomenon, but unfortunately it's pretty elusive! Sometimes swapping between two particular changesets will reliably repro the issue, but other times it will not. And even if I did find a 100% repro case, it isn't so convenient to somehow include a version control repo in my bug report, haha. (Bug reporting is a pretty arduous task at the best of times when it comes to projects that are in production!) One thing I seem to know for certain at this stage is that it only really happens while unity is doing library updates, reimporting assets etc.

Has anybody seen something like this before? Did I miss a forum post or UnityAnswer that might help? Am I overlooking some obvious thing? It's becoming kind of a dire situation for us, haha.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. sophiepeithos

sophiepeithos

tigerleapgorge likes this.
  3. taylank

taylank

4. sophiepeithos

sophiepeithos

yeah, it will be a total disaster if you are not using a version control.

5. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey all, apologies for the late response. I, unfortunately, haven't seen this yet personally so it's hard to hazard any guesses at the moment. We'll start looking into it. In the meantime has anyone submitted a bug with Unity? I understand it's not reproducing 100% of the time but anything helps.

6. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Just to get a little more information, when this is happening are you seeing anything in the log? Any errors or warnings? What version of the editor and what version of the package are you using?

7. bvance

bvance

I've encountered it across a few versions, but at the moment we're on 2019.3.0b8, and Addressables is rolled up to 1.3.8.

I have been whittling away at the project on a quarantined branch with a view towards filing a bug report! I've established a 100% repro case involving a switch back and forth from two changesets (actually I've iterated through a wide variety of changeset pairs where this happens over the past couple days, but still trying to work out what specifically it might be about them). Below you can find the editor log output beginning from the moment after I maximize the editor after a branch change, triggering this error to occur! I don't notice anything amiss about it, personally...

8. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

@bvance I appreciate your effort in tracking this down. Glancing over that editor log a couple times nothing really pops out at me either. What version control are you using? I've been trying to reproduce this and the only time something remotely similar occurred was when I caused a merge conflict on the "Packed Assets.asset". But there were multiple errors logged when that happened. No one that's running into this appears to have reported any logged errors so I'm guessing you're not seeing anything like that?

9. bvance

bvance

I've been noticing this error get spammed into upm.log, though I'm not very sure it's related:

10. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm.. probably isn't but thanks for the information. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks!

11. bvance

bvance

I have submitted a bug report! Case 1199672

We are using PlasticSCM for version control, but I found that I was able to reproduce the issue simply by importing some assets out of a unitypackage I created (this is what I did for the bug report). Basically it does not appear to me that PlasticSCM needs to be involved in any way for this bug to manifest!

It SEEMS important that the imported assets overwrite existing assets in order for this to happen; every time I tried adding or removing various assets, the Addressables remained intact. The simplified project in my bug report has been stripped of literally every irrelevant asset and package, so it doesn't seem like any kind of compatibility problem with other code! We've been able to reproduce this issue using my example project (the one I included in the bug report) on a couple of different systems, so I'm not sure whether it's a workstation configuration thing either. Frankly it's very mysterious!

I really feel like I must be making some obvious mistake that I've just become blind to from staring at this too long, lol. Hope this bug report is helpful!

bigChris and davidla_unity like this.
  12. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

13. taylank

taylank

Are there any updates on this?

14. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

@taylank we have a fix in the works. There's only been one method that has let us reproduce this consistently locally so we're trying to make sure the fix will hopefully work for as many use cases as possible.

I believe we're also going to remove the automatic cleanup of null groups on asset import. This should hopefully keep us from removing some things before we need to.

If all goes well, this should be in the next release or the one just after at the latest.

blackgatebrooks and bvance like this.
  15. taylank

taylank

That's great news. Thanks, David!

16. bvance

bvance

This is good news!

When we talk about 'releases', are we talking about e.g. 2019.3.x, or about an update to the Addressables package, or BOTH? Haha, it's exciting times with this newer dependency management tech working!

17. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

@bvance typically for us (on the Addressables forum) if we're talking about releases we mean package releases, not editor ones. Hope that helps!

blackgatebrooks and bvance like this.
  18. MagicDesignEmerick

MagicDesignEmerick

Glad to see we're not the only ones with this issue, and hoping a fix soon. It's already hard enough to navigate the new API without randoms breakdowns of the system on its own ^^;

Thanks @bvance for your work on cracking this bug!

bvance likes this.
  19. bvance

bvance

20. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

If you're still experiencing this issue can you try updating to 1.5.1. We should hopefully have this fixed in that release. Thanks!

21. bigChris

bigChris

Hello, running Addressables package "version": "1.7.4" on 2019.2.6f1, and experiencing same issue... that's quite a bit of work every time a developer pulls from main for a merge...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.