Search Unity

Addressable Assets - Streaming Asset and Remote

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by KBaxtrom-LevelEx, Jul 14, 2020.

1. KBaxtrom-LevelEx

KBaxtrom-LevelEx

For some of our assets we would like to be able to guarantee that there is something on disc to load. These assets would be in both the streaming assets folder to be packaged with the application, and also exist in a remote location.

Is this already possible with the current system? What would happen if I manually copied these assets to the streaming assets folder as part of our build pipeline?

2. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

Yes, you can create another load path that points to StreamingAssets and set your groups loath path to that. You can also set the groups to
    Cannot Change Post Release
    and they will be guaranteed to load with the engine (depends on platform, might include in the engine, or download immediately after engine loads).

3. KBaxtrom-LevelEx

KBaxtrom-LevelEx

To clarify I want to be able to change these Post release. I just want them to be both apart of the local load path and in a remote load path.

4. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

That doesn't make much sense. How are you going to try to load the same asset from a local path and a remote path?

5. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

6. KBaxtrom-LevelEx

KBaxtrom-LevelEx

Here's the scenario I'm trying to cover.

Application is built
    Local Assets -> Game Confguration // Shipped With game
    Remote Assets -> Game Configuration // Stored In S3

LoadAsyncAsset<GameConfiguration>()
    A user boots the application but has network connectivity issues which causes LoadAsyncAsset() to fail. Fallback to GameConfiguration that was shipped with the application. For some of our assets, I don't want the development team to have to deal with or care about the asset being remote. If it downloads correctly and quickly that's great. Otherwise use what you already have

odaimoko likes this.
  7. nisako

nisako

Did you manage to do it the way you mentioned? I have the same problem. It's disappointing if the addressable system expects every game to be online once.

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

anisimovdev and nisako like this.