Search Unity

Additive Timelines

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by edwon, Sep 25, 2017.

1. edwon

edwon

I'm trying to create an animation system, using timeline as it's base.

This system would allow timelines to layer on top of each other additively, in the sense that timelines called later would override elements of timelines called earlier. If the same output (or binding) was used in the timeline called later, it would take over for that element.

See the graph below for how I imagine it working.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 4.32.26 PM.png

I've been experimenting with Playable Graphs for this purpose. I'm thinking there might be a way to have this functionality via the graphs and their outputs and mixer. But when I made one I wasn't even able to blend between two seperate timelines due to a Unity bug (see this thread for reference https://forum.unity.com/threads/problems-mixing-timeline-playables.496259/#post-3229959)

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Did you ever manage to work out blending timelines like this? Would love to know what you found out as trying similar

3. edwon

edwon

Nope, I still haven't figured out how to do this exactly. Playable Graphs seem like the right choice, but I think they are still a bit buggy, I could be wrong though as I haven't tried working with them again in Unity 2018 yet.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I am just really surprised that the documentation + examples have not been cleaned up and extended after all this time and so little clarity in the community :(