Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Additive animations without layers.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by shouldice, Mar 17, 2014.

1. shouldice

shouldice

Hi all,

Is it possible to blend two animations additively without using animation layers?

In this Mixamo animation preview, holding W and E makes the character walk forward, and also play the turn-right animation. The result is an tight circle walk. With these animation assets, I'm wondering if it's possible to build a blend tree that simultaneously plays both animations at full weight, recreating the circle walk. Building a 2D blend tree means that the best I can do is having each have a weight of 0.5, meaning when the character turns, she slows her forward walk, and also doesn't turn fast enough.

The obvious answer is using layers, but it seems really weird to have turning and forward movement on entirely separate layers. We have many cutscene-specific animations that need to transitioned into and out of, and having to deal with multiple locomotion layers while doing that seems like a real pain.

Thanks!

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think if you just add more nodes to the blend tree, you should have fine enough control to produce a tight circle walk.